Donaldson

I Don't Know What To Tell Him

I don't know what to tell him. 
'I'm sorry for your loss' seems too cliché. 
'I'm there if you need me' isn't true; we haven't talked since we were nine and playing Red Rover. 
'Losing a father must be hard' seems so obvious that it's insulting. 
The school bus pulls in, a familiar grunt escaping from the battered engine as it halts. 
'I'm sorry that you are forced to ride the same bus that we've been riding for five years to go home to a place that must no longer feel like home at all'? 
But I say nothing. 
This, unfortunately, has been a situation I've been in before. One of my friends from my early childhood lost a parent, and although we didn't speak anymore, I always wanted to offer him sort of consolation. I simply could never find the appropriate words to do so. 

1

• ava09

oh i know just how you feel - the same thing happened to me with one of my childhood friends two years ago. i was good friends with his sister but not with him anymore (we were closer as younger kids) and there really wasn't anything to say. i hugged him at the funeral so i guess that was enough. anyway, sorry for the rambling but this piece is really emotional and i really felt it on a personal level so i thought you did a wonderful job putting those feelings into words and showing the helplessness of wanting to say something and just having absolutely no words that feel right. sending hugs <3

• Figwit

It is SOOO hard sometimes to find the words to give someone comfort or peace. Sometimes, it's better to say nothing and give support by just being there with them.

• Veronica Rosses

Did you win money for this or no?

• Veronica Rosses

WOW, I love the way you worded it.

• TheSpellcheckSurvivor

This is sooo GENIUS!!! :)

Wow! This was such an emotional rollercoaster. Glad you were selected for Wednesday words, or else I would never have found this piece.

• journal.scribbles

Wow. You packed so much emotion in this short piece and you conveyed it in such a creative way. I love how you tell the story in these hypothetical comments. Amazing piece!

• Dmoral

heartbreaking, brought tears for sure

• ek503

congratulations! finding the words to say can really be a struggle sometimes.

• sci-Fi

Congrats on Wednesday words! Welcome to WtW!

• Rohan’s Defender

Oh I’m so sorry! That’s so sad! But this piece is beautiful, and congrats on being featured! You deserve it!

• hi i'm jackson ;)

oh man...sorry man that sucks

• Currently Unavailable

Such a true, relatable, and genuine piece. Terrific job!

Oh I'm so glad this got featured! When I read this before, I loved it, and it was very relatable to people who were in the same situation. <3

• Lydia Ledy

This is beautiful and so very true. Well done!

• RemovedUser1

Wow, this is amazing. I love the feeling, and the last paragraph.... beautiful. Congratulations on getting featured!

Congrats on the feature this piece is so sad and sooo powerful!!

• Tula.S

Amazing! I think it is really interesting how you tell a story through inner reflection.

Wow, this is powerful. I'm so sorry that happened to your friend! Congrats on getting shortlisted though!

Congrats on being mentioned! This piece... Wow. I was in the same exact situation recently, and you captured this feeling perfectly.

congratulations on you being shortlisted! i think this is such a poignant piece and gives me much to think about!

• Ren

Ah, I think this is a dilemma everyone faces at some point and surprisingly mine was at 9 years old too but it wasn't my friend, just an acquaintance. Though I wished I could've said something too.