efflorescence

16 | INFJ | ♀️| massachusetts

[ summer + fall 2019 ] peer ambassador

just a melancholy, existential girl with a penchant for poetry, fairy tales, and magical realism.

if you see a piece get unpublished, it's probably because I've submitted it to a lit mag, contest, etc! sorry :)

Nesting

The birds only come once a year. Just when the town starts to forget their migrations, they return, mouths open and hungry for the sanctity of streetlights. Meanwhile, in backyards, parents don’t hear the kids flying themselves from the rooftops, one by one, until corpses litter the ground like rain. And so every year, in the deluge, the town forgets its name, and the birds forget their homes. The kids piecemeal themselves back together and their parents never hear their deaths. The birds limn their wings in streetlights, and their corpses leave no shadows, and the town forgets their exit.

• Tula.S

There are some lovely and unexpected lines in this piece: "Just when the town starts to forget their migrations" "litter the ground like rain" "the town forgets their exit" These are just a few examples. Love it!