Anne Blackwood

Theatre kid
Singer
Poet
Animal lover
Bookworm
Twin
Disfusive
Kindness Krusader: Blueberry cotton candy
Somewhat empathic
One of the Three Musketeers

Melancholic, ambiverted, XXFJ, ASE

Joined January 16, 2020

For everyone who's sat on a tree branch and thought for a while
Or someone who wanted to

My profile picture is my "personal crest" I designed and commissioned a friend to draw.

keepsunnyaroundfoundation.cake.org (credit: Happy Butterfly)

Dmoral calls me BW (Bubble Wrap)!

Writing help:
the_enclave -> https://bit.ly/2Lpfzzm
Writers of the World -> https://bit.ly/2SX3HZt

"There's something about being nostalgic for something you haven't left yet"
~ A Certain Type of Decisive

"I was born singing. Most babies cry. I sang an aria."
~ Fairest (book) by Gail Carson Levine

If you have anxiety, read these pieces.
https://bit.ly/2YUyome
https://bit.ly/2TsNYSa
And pray. That's the only reason I am free now.

Day's End

13

I walk out the front door in the darkness of the night. There's a shard of anxiety trying to worm its way into this moment, but I do my best to dull the edges. Standing at the end of the cul de sac, I close my eyes and root myself in the feeling of my feet on the road and the stillness in the air.
It's quiet, yet I can still hear so many sounds milling about the space, passing each other in a ballet of the night. Distant cars rush on, but their roar seems hushed too, like even they know to be respectful of the silence.
I suppress a shudder as words like fear and phobia fiercely pound at the door of my heart. But I manage to contain their intrusive presence to a sliver of worry lurking in the corner.
On a whim, I hop up on the trunk of my dad's car. It's not as easy as I remember, but I suppose my ungainly toddler limbs have only gotten longer and more prone to clumsiness. After a second of indecision, I lay back and gaze up at the sky, peering past suburban light pollution to look up at the stars.
But even as I breathe deeply and immerse myself in my favorite time, I feel anxiety tugging at my mind and demanding to be seen. It does not belong in me. In an act of tentative defiance, I sing the first words that I can think of.
"It is well... with my soul"
Over and over, I softly sing the declaration into the night. If Horatio Spafford can write this in the midst of his agony, then I can make myself believe them.
And the more I sing, the more the words ring true. I let a small smile form on my lips, the kind that's meant just for me and my God.
This is about me facing my nyctophobia.

• August 1, 2020 - 12:07am (Now Viewing)

• mia_:)

good job, anne! you describe the night so beautifully! i'm proud of you for facing your fears; that can't have been easy but you're so strong! love you so much! <3<3

• Tushar Mandhan

It was so good to read. Some feelings are very special, facing and defeating fear is one of them.

The part where you begin to sing hit me out of nowhere... I can relate: I recently had to complete a challenge that was physically really hard for me, and as I did it the song lyrics "I can do all things, through christ who gives me strength. I dont have to be strong enough" ran through my head out of the blue and I feel like that was God's way of reassuring me. I know that's not the same but idk made me think of it. This is beautiful, and I love your writing!

• inanutshell

a lovely portrait of such an intimate moment. love this, esp the first few lines. wishing you all the best w the nyctophobia <3

• Dmoral

awww, bw

I love this! Especially the phrase "the ballet of the night." It sounds really creative and gorgeous!

• books4life

This is so pretty and so vivid! :)

• elliem

Wow. Beautiful piece, and written in a lovely way that is both open and personal at the same time. I love the comparison of ballet and the night.