rainandsonder

"the audience is only safe when the story isn't about them."

they/them - probably listening to sufjan stevens

stream bastille's new single!
also, thank you everyone for the kind words and also the kind words on my wednesday words piece, i'm really flattered!

falcon falls in love with the sky (+ a thank you note)

20
When Falcon feels the air seize him under his mottled wings for the first time, he falls wildly, hopelessly in love. 

Falcon was born with glossy eyes and a teardrop-shaped body. His sorrow, he knows, is written into the somber curve of his wings, the way oxygen slices through his veins when he flies like he was made to be an instrument, like he was made to be used. Falcon's heart races nine-hundred beats per minute, and sometimes when he slips through thinly sliced air like fish through water, and looks up into the sun, he swears he sees it pulsing right back. Falcon does not know Morse code, but if he did he would starve to death midair just to decipher the message.

Here is his tragedy: he cannot touch what he loves, cannot get closer no matter how high he soars. When he pitches towards the ground, it makes a sound like he is tearing the atmosphere in two, and this thought is better than the reality- the endless blue he was born to love does not love him back. When he guns into the atmosphere, he forgets momentarily that he is a teardrop and imagines himself instead as a bullet, seconds away from piercing the skin of the sky and sending her hurtling down. Falcon is not just a lover, but a hunter with bloodlust in his gut, and sometimes he can't recall the difference.

But when Falcon reaches the place where the air thins and aches around his wings, he forgets whether his heart is throbbing so fast because he is close to love or close to death. When he picks meat off his talons later, remembering the squeeze and snap of the kill, he realizes there are many kinds of love, and maybe as his prey can't help seeing terror in everything, he only knows how to love as a hunter whose chase will never end. But for now, he tucks his body behind him and hurtles head-first towards the ground. He is never sure that the air will catch him-

-but he falls anyway. 

fun fact: both the english name and the scientific name for a peregrine falcon both mean "wanderer", and yes, the 900 BPM heartbeat fact is true.
so earlier this morning i realized that i just hit 350 followers, and i thought, dang, i should probably celebrate that in some way. however, with, ah, certain events that transpired, i can't post solely about that, so i decided to celebrate by writing this piece instead, which is exactly 350 words long. and although the piece itself isn't just an excuse to talk about this, i would like to briefly say that i'm really thankful for everyone that follows and supports me, because 350 is just a wild number to me. also, this is the first non-poetry piece i've posted in a while so i'd love to hear what you guys thought! thanks again to everyone who supports me on here by following, liking, commenting, reviewing, etc, it means a lot!

1

holy heck so i'm terribly sorry i've been absent from your notifs for all this time, but thank you for your persisting presence on my other pieces! your comments always mean the world to me. congrats on 350! you totally and completely deserve every single follower you have, and here's to 50 more! and oooooh this is 350 words long? that's amazing!
    the piece itself is amazing and absolutely gorgeous. you write from the perspective of an animal perfectly, without mincing thoughts but still not sacrificing a certain "animalistic quality" to the perspective. the thoughts expressed are clear and succinct, the imagery practically unfolds as you're reading, and it's eloquent in a way that i cannot express. lovely work! <333333

• jun lei

holy shit i really did say i was going to follow you and completely forgot, didn't i--

• mia_:)

replying: thanks for your sweet comment! also, CONGRATS! *throws confetti* that is a HUGE milestone and you 100% deserve it!

• spurtsofdarkness

replying: yes! and i'm so glad to be back, also i added a note in the footnotes of my latest post, it's called pied piper of hamelin, so might wanna check that out :)

• Wicked!

Ah I love this piece! The longing here really reminded me of Icarus. Congratulations on the milestone! Your writing is absolutely brilliant and this is a lovely way to celebrate. Also Bastille's new single asdghjklh I've been listening to it on loop for the whole day ahhhh

• inanutshell

congrats on 350!!! your writing is always amazing, this piece is a perfect example of it :"Falcon is not just a lover, but a hunter with bloodlust in his gut, and sometimes he can't recall the difference." holyyyy shit

• kemi

This is so creative and breathtaking! I can't pick a line that's my favorite because everything is written so well. Congrats on 350 (now 352) followers!

"Falcon is not just a lover, but a hunter with bloodlust in his gut, and sometimes he can't recall the difference." ahh the subtle contrasts and evocative personification here is just stunning, as always.
    And congrats on 350 followers! You're honestly such a kind person to interact with here and you're very encouraging, not to mention you have GOD- like prose :)

• jun lei

ahhh i'm not following you, i have to rectify this mistake. your writing is breathtaking, stunning, and the precision is perfect. it's a fucking honor to read the words with which you grace the community. congratulations! you deserve it.

• sherry171

"the endless blue he was born to love does not love him back." - chills. Congratulations on 350! Such an incredible accomplishment, and such a beautiful way to commemorate it :)

Every single line of this piece is absolutely intoxicating. I am in awe of your storytelling through characterization and your subtle yet impactful imagery. My favorite line is "Falcon does not know Morse code, but if he did he would starve to death midair just to decipher the message." Also, you've earned all the followers in the world.

• avoiding the big bang

ahhhh 350! you deserve every one! and this is such a lovely way to celebrate

• dovetrees

ahh i love this! birds are some of the most amazing creatures imo, 'He is never sure that the air will catch him--but he falls anyway,' is such an amazing line! full of suspense and mystery - but the entire piece made me adore this falcon!
    and congrats for 350! that's amazing, a true reflection of your talent! you're a true wordsmith, and i wish you all the best!

lovely piece: i adore falcons so much! also congrats on 350, you def def deserve it! i call you Ras (the initials for Rain And Sonder) in my head but congrats to marvin the mascot as well :DD. your work is always so so lovely and top quality, and you’re definitely such a nice and calming presence to interact with. you’re always so encouraging and genuinely interested in pieces, and your talent never ceases to amaze me! here’s to many more! <3 <3