.amelia.

listening to pop hits and classic piano pieces
with no in between

3am writer

Ravenclaw | Gemini | INTP | 4w5 
hopes for access to the Lost Cities
but none to Panem

here, but really low-key

on a hiatus...for now

hey guys. I'm back with my auditory imagery and absurd perspectives of life. :)

If you'd like, tell me what you think of Melancholy
(I feel her character's a little off)

How to bear a burden?

17
Right up till yesterday, I had an abstract question in the back of my mind.

It pestered me for so long it latched onto my brain like a barbed metal hook. But I pushed it away waited until all my patience dwindled.

Only then, was I left with no choice but to venture Within.

I've always imagined my mind to be a vast black void leading to a cosy penthouse.

Its huge crystal windows reflect an eternal twilight. Carpets, shelves and odd pieces of furniture settled comfortably in the huge, merlot room. And along the left wall were four different doors housing to four different emotions.

I rarely opened those doors, fearing their ability to monopolise my mind.

But I wanted an answers.

I needed answers only they could give me.

i. Rage
I visited Rage first, slipping through the raven black door into the stygian room. The four walls were soaked with a crimson glow radiating off the emotion, who sat on his onyx throne in the centre of it all.

I sat and asked him my question.

"Burden?" He uttered it as though for the first time.

"Yes. The troubles and problems that weigh on you."

Rage shook his head of blazing hair and laughed derisively. Eyes glimmered with dangerous pride.

"They are never burdens to me." He explained. "I make sure they aren't."

"How?" I prompted.

"When they hold me back, I burn them away. Torch them. Stare as they shrivel into mere debris."

I nodded, listening.

"Do they ever come back to you then?"

The triumphant sneer on his face wavered. Hoods under his eyes grew darker. He tensed in his coal black suit.

"Yes. They do." He spoke with an icy undertone.

ii. Elation
Her room was right beside. And naturally, I visited her second.

Elation was remarkably different from her neighbour. Her room was flooded with afternoon sunlight and emerald green plants dangling from peridot stems. She was seated on a humble bistro chair in honey-yellow paint.

I settled in a similar chair when she beckoned me, and asked my question.

Gems dangling from her earrings, bracelets and all over her dress sparkled like fireworks. Her euphoric laughter was so pure and delightful, I was hollow when it died away.

"Beautiful diamonds." I noted.

"Thank you." Her smile outshone the sun. "Melancholy gives them to me."

"Now about your question," Elation proceeded to adviced me. "Burdens may be tough. But they shouldn't be ignored."

"So, what do you do with them?"

"Well..." Elation paused before replying brightly. "I carry them. And when I don't, I ignore them."

I considered this for a moment.

"How long would you ignore them?"

Elation faltered. Her golden beam sank.

She hung her head, replying in a quiet whisper. "For as long as I can."

iii. Terror
His iron door was fastened with so many bolts and latches it took me a good few minutes to decipher them.

A yelp shook the room as I entered.

Before I moved, a clammy hand slapped over my mouth.

A knife was pinned on my throat.

"Terror, it's me." I shouted through his hand.

"You eh?" He spoke like he was on fast-forward. "What's the password, then?"

"Uh...um...Better safe than sorry."

He released me and sulked into his metal chair, laced with traps for anyone who got too near.

I sat in another seat--an appreciative distance from his--before I felt safe to ask Terror my question.

His face faded into grave seriousness. Milky white eyes shifted so quickly they seemed to search for an escape from its twitching sockets.

Sudden, jolting shivers down his malnourished body made my skin crawl.

"With utmost respect...you worship them." Terror told me firmly.

"...respect?" I was a little puzzled.

He nodded vigorously.

"Why?" I inquired when he fell silent.

"They keep you...sane. They are your guide to reality...the anchor to your dreams. Without them, you will lose yourself."

"How do you know?" I pressed on.

Trembling feebly, Terror's eyes widenes then squinched shut, eyebrows pulled in concentration. Hands seemed to fend off an invisible reality.

When he relaxed, those milky pupils seemed to reflect, You should be afraid across their glassy corneas.

"I don't have to know." Terror replied stubbornly.

iv. Melancholy Melancholy wasn't like the rest of the emotions. She was much more passive and invisible.

She was also the only emotion who managed to slip out of her room, into the penthouse from time to time.

Not that I minded.

Her white door was carved with leaves and flowers all over its marble surface and its doorknob, polished gold.

She stayed in a room just as grand. The only difference was the floral wallpaper, diamond chandelier and her velvet chair that bore a cerulean hue.

She nodded and smiled slightly when I greeted her.

I asked my question.

Melancholy considered it, lowered her head behind a glossy curtain of prussian blue hair. Then, with a musical voice like those in she answered me.

"I'll show you."

Melancholy reached for the frilly sleeve of her of her arctic blue gown to reveal a tiny case. She handed the fist-shaped box to me.

"What's this?" I took the surprisingly heavy object with careful hands.

Melancholy merely impelled, "Open it."

I undid its crystal latch and lifted the lid. Within were clusters of gems tucked in lapis coloured velvet.

I frowned, confused.

"You haven't answered my question." I reminded her.

"But I did." Melancholy justified, gesturing at the gemstones. "This is my burden."

I looked at the jewels again.

"But how could they possibly be your burden?"

"Oh, but they are !" Melancholy took the box and tucked it away delicately. "You see, when Rage is done torching the burdens. he gives them to me as gray soot.

"I wasn't sure what to do with them. So I took them all and fitted them in my heart."

I drew a connection.

"That blue case is your heart?"

Melancholy nodded slowly.

"But what happens when your heart runs out of space?" I wondered.

"I give the diamonds to Elation. The emotion loves anything she can show off."

"Quite so..." The image of Elation's smile grew opulent.

Pushing it aside, I asked a final question.

"Doesn't your heart ever grow too heavy?"

Melancholy flashed me a bittersweet smirk and replied, "The heart's burden is never light. But no one needs to bear it alone. No one is forced to share it either.

"So long as you don't let it get the better of you, it is never heavy."

1

• midnight.summerrose

I'm realllyy late with this, but this is just amazing!!! :)

• BirdofPrey

HOW DO YOU WRITE SO WELL <333

Beautiful! I'll review, should come in a few days :D

• ambedo & sugar cookies (#holidayvibes)

wow.
    i agree with Paisley Blue about Melancholy. something softer, a little more wispy and gentle.

wow, this is really good!!! It made me really think about the different emotions!!
    As for Melancholy's character, I like it a lot! I think you could add a few more defining characteristics, though--maybe you could describe how everything in the room was made of like, silk, or how Melancholy never speaks above a whisper or something like that, something to add to that soft, gentle personality. Also, i feel like since she references the other two emotions, she should reference fear in some way--but that's just a suggestion! This piece is wonderful as is!!! Awesome job!!! <3

• queenie

Wow, this was a really intriguing piece!

• Chloe :) <3

This piece is really beautiful - I'm about 2 months late in saying it, but it really is

• Bhavya's Treasure

Re: Thanks Amelia! :)

Hey .amelia.! I was just able to recover the piece you commented on some time ago about editing stories. I really liked your idea actually, and I think I'm going to use it. It'll be much faster than what I'm used to I'm sure. Thanks again. Off I go!

• Bhavya's Treasure

The concept of melancholy's heart is super amazing! <3
    The descriptions accompanied with each character and their residence are up to the mark. I enjoyed reading it a lot. Melancholy's hair colour reminded me of Sadness in Inside Out! :)

ahhh the personification here is just *chef's kiss*

• Busssy.Beee

Hi, would it be okay of I copied the link and put it in my bio? I want to refer to this piece, all the time. :)

• Busssy.Beee

Oh my! I stumbled across this piece. And I am absolutely in love with this. I wish I could give this a million likes. It's amazing, I'm speechless.