elliem

Apparently, I'm 17
Come to my feed for free hugs :)
Somebody run through castle ruins at midnight with me

Acting
Dancing
Singing
Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
Petrichor
Soft girl/Dark academia mix
Virgo
ENFJ

WtW pixie

*TW in this message to readers (mentions of sexism and being followed):

I started composing this in my head on a bike ride and typed it up at home. This is about how it was so easy for adults to hide gender inequality from us as children, so much we didn’t even realize it, but now I’m older and I face sexism on a daily basis, and it’s impossible to go back to those days. If you’re someone who thinks sexism doesn’t exist anymore, you’re wrong. I still hear “you throw/run/hit like a girl”. I still get mansplained to daily. I’m not safe alone; I have to take a phone and a friend with me while walking alone at night. Even in the “safest” times, we aren’t safe. I was once followed by a much older man while I was with two other (female) friends in a public place outside of my school in the daytime. And no, it WASN’T my imagination. (We turned directions and sped up and he sped up and kept chasing us. He finally left when we got back to school campus.) I have to “hide” my period because my guy friends are (sorry, guys) too fragile to accept that women get periods. Despite that, I also hear “oh, it’s probably her time of the month. That’s why she’s acting like that.” Maybe I’m acting like that because you’re a sexist prick?

Anyway, if you actually read all of this, thank you. I want to spread awareness about this, because a lot of people think it’s not an issue anymore. It is. It is. It is.

I also realize not all men are sexist. I’m not saying they are. I’m saying some are, and that’s still too many.

Lastly, I would like to give a big shout-out to any non-binary people reading this. I don’t want in any way to make you feel excluded. I support and stand with you. <3

Another Feminist Rant (but Villanelle Style) *TW for sexist treatment* Please read footnotes and message to readers!

8
What and why, but never when
Summer is soft in a child’s eyes
That is what differs from now and then

Babbling brooks, a pixie’s den
Childhood fantasies are only lies
What and why, but never when

Apparently, the world’s still owned by men
No matter what the child in me wants to fantasize
That is what differs from now and then

Mother in finishing school, her pen
Dripping ink as warm as the tears in her eyes
What and why, but never when

I wish we could pretend it away again
Trade in the suffering for an equal rise
What and why, but never when
That is what differs from now and then
I’d like to reiterate (because apparently, people still don’t understand): feminism does not mean women are better than men. That’s misandry, love. Feminism is the belief that women are equal to men, and deserve equal rights, opportunities, and treatment. By definition, if you say you’re not a feminist, you’re saying you believe women should continue to suffer with inequality. If you say you’re not a feminist, you’re saying women should be below men. This is not to bash people that misunderstand the difference between misandry and feminism; it is simply to educate you on the difference, in case you didn’t know. Thanks for listening to my rant and hopefully someone learned something positive from this. :)

• July 30, 2020 - 12:09pm (Now Viewing)

big, big yes to all of this! and the footnotes! it's so frustrating to me how many people at my school will mock feminists or just be casually sexist, and honestly, i really blame meme culture for once again normalizing sexism (and all the other many, many things it normalizes). love the villanelle format too!

hellooo im back, so been thinking of writing a sort of educational piece about the definition etc. of feminism (like a sequel to your footnotes hehe), so would you be terribly opposed if i went ahead and did that? i'll be sure to credit you in the foot notes if you do say yes :)

^ah i accidentally finished my comment before i could end it!! anyways, continuing: the format really gives us the frustrated and stuck feeling that's so, so true. you wrote out your feelings so elegantly and eloquently, and i can only hope to reign in my anger like you do one day. amazing work, definitely a favorite of mine on this site!!! <3 love u ellie

"No matter what the child in me wants to fantasize
    That is what differs from now and then" thank youuuu for this. im honestly really sick and tired of feeling daily like i have to explain why im so upset about casual sexism when i experience it so often. sick and tired of me going "im a feminist. treat me with respect and stop *insert steretype*" and then having people say "aaaa u kinda hurt my feelings and i feel shamed". but i will never be sick and tired of being a woman. you wrote this so well, and your footnotes are SO right. feminism means gender equality. while radical feminism may go far, the core and true message still remains. your piece conveyed your frustration so well: the villanelle format really gives us the "stuck" feeling

"What and why, but never when
    That is what differs from now and then" ahh I have to agree with inanutshell about the impact of these repeated lines, it's just so important!
    I've recently seen a LOT of people (some on WtW) so eager to say that they're NOT feminists, bc their definition of feminism is flawed but you've just put it so wonderfully well here. and the pms-ing thing whenever time angry is so true.

• inanutshell

yes to all of this! this poem, with the recurring "What and why, but never when" and that rhyme scheme is fantastic. i hear sexist comments sometimes and it's always from guys; it's strange to see how they only think that way bc none of it affects them, sexism helps them so they choose not to care. also love that you're being inclusive in your message to readers, this poem/rant is so important!