sunny.v

she/her | asian
wtw community’s official older sister
running off into the sunset with circe
est. april 27, 2020

swordwielding protector of all minority groups
satire sorceress, lady knight

she clasps peonies, allure, & love

i like the feeling of moody hot road vibes so, yeah? hm, whole lotta atmosphere in this piece

of highway decay and honesty

36

i am roadkill; there lies liquid
asphalt beneath my nails.
exhale carbon monoxide and car
exhaust between my parted lips, and i will tell you that
i am carrion; i am the disenfranchised lover.
the vultures know my taste. the jackals nip at the
pulse of my wrist and laugh and laugh and
laugh.
yellow painted lines stretch into hallucinogenics across
dried tar and potholes and intersections and
did you not see me? i think
you did—at least as you drove by. as you drove past.

if you pressed a kiss to my knuckles, i wonder if you would still map out
the speed bumps and laugh, startled. laugh and laugh and
laugh.
there is streetlight red in my ledger that rotted its way between my gums and
i still want to ask you: there were so many signs that told you to stop.
why didn’t you?
so now i’ve become the roadkill, the villain living off vasoline but
i wish upon speed limits, you know.
and i hope that you find heaven on the highway.
i'm busy these days between teaching kids math over zoom meetings and then teaching younger kids other stuff, but i managed to squeeze this in during a lunch break! lots of funky imagery. you know how it goes. 

• August 21, 2020 - 1:40pm (Now Viewing)

• Landofstories

replying: thank you so much!

• ~wildflower~

Replying: thanks for your kind comment! It means a lot to me coming from an amazing writer like you.

• journal.scribbles

"did you not see me? i think / you did—at least as you drove by. as you drove past." Whoa this piece is amazing! I love how you incorporated so many aspects of old cars and roads and how you managed to keep the theme consistent throughout it.

Replying: No need to apologize! Thank you so much for the comment! It means a lot and I just felt so relieved after reading it.

• birthdaycandles

dhfurjwbxkfkesx can I just say the TALENT that you have! writing this on a lunch break, wow! also that’s so great you’re teaching the little kids! amazing!!! “i hope that you find heaven on the highway” is my favourite line! would you mind if I maybe put in my bio as a quote from you? That phrase just really struck me, loved this piece! (:

P.S all the imagery kind of reminded be of the scenery in the movie Stargirl, have you ever seen it? It’s set next to a desert, and idk I just pictured this piece taking place there.

• elliem

"if you pressed a kiss to my knuckles, i wonder if you would still map out
    laugh." SUNNY this is amazing! I've been meaning to read this piece for a while and finally I got around to it and I'm so glad I did. I love your dark, edgy tone. It's so powerful! I've noticed a lot of writers tend to have a very specific light or dark tone they reuse with all their pieces. But you can easily slip from one to the other, and it's such a cool writer talent. Your use of repetition with "laugh and laugh and laugh" is so brilliant. And thank you so much for your comment, it made me smile. :)

"i wish upon speed limits, you know.
    and i hope that you find heaven on the highway." How dare you have this much talent madam. I'm sure we would all appreciate it if you could spill us your secrets please and thank you.

• books4life

absolutely amazing! *applauds* just wow. :)

This is so moving, really. The imagery and the underlying emotions of being left behind. Simply beautiful. I wish i had a talent like yours! <3

So I just remembered....fahrenheit 451 is one of the english books we're gonna read over the school year LOL still appreciate the book rec tho <3

• mia_:)

also, i might be more active but idk :/ still not lovin' the guidelines *twists hands awkwardly*

• mia_:)

wow, we stan some hardcore highway decay! (just kidding, i love you!) this, this is gorgeous, in an unsettling way. *nods* your first line way like WHAAAT? i love "liquid asphalt beneath my nails." also, "so now i’ve become the roadkill, the villain living off vasoline but i wish upon speed limits, you know. and i hope that you find heaven on the highway." is like the best thing ever! gah, how do you even come up with this? *tips hat* i bid thee farewell for now! *hugs*

• Tho Nguyen

Replying: Thank you so much! I think that when I was growing up I never differentiated between being different and being ugly - it kind of stayed in my subconscious. But especially after seeing films featuring Asians and seeing more Asian representation, it really made me proud to be one :))

ooooh i do apologize for not getting to this sooner but this is absolutely gorgeous! just wow, the imagery of those highway tunnels and just the narrator lying there like a roadkill or smth and the person they're speaking to like it's almost like an ode to every uncaring person passing by. just love the metaphor of that! and tasdkfjj;asld the repetition is just *chefs kiss* like "and laugh and laugh and laugh" just fits the overall vibe of the piece so well! i could go on and on and ON about the stunning imagery. like it's super gritty and 'dirty' but i think your impeccable and elegant writing style still makes it seem somewhat... refined? refined motor oil? anyways that last line is just ksdfj;lkajsd SO GOOD HOW ARE YOU SO GOOD- and also have fun being poor and eating cold mac in front of your class....

• RemovedUser1

Replying:
    Wow, I'm glad you liked my paper! Those onomatopoeias were so fun to write! Thanks!

• spectral

bro lovely work as always, from beginning to end. im vice versa lol i'm being taught math on zoom which has taken up my few remaining braincells typically used for writing.

I loved reading this! The imagery was amazing!

• inanutshell

glad to see this here too!! a pleasure to reabsorb all of the dark and slightly gory imagery. also you're teaching math???? wow as if you weren't already so talented. you've also got the brain power for math??? a true genius

• Century Friend

Wow, this poem has so much personality and I LOVE the imagery.

• dovetrees

wOAHHH!! i have to emphasise how much i love the way that you write!! 'the vultures know my taste. the jackals nip at the pulse of my wrist and laugh and laugh and laugh,' this is ART!! everything about it is so effective and powerful - the harsh language you use, like 'rotted' is just awesome. amazing piece, once again!

oh my gosh you're such a QUEEN!
    also you're teaching?that is so freaking cool:)