Doodleninja

pfp is Thinker & Prose from my series "Stereo Tropes Co."!

INFx-T

Full-time doodler
Comic artist
Hardcore Introvert
social anxiety gang
Mexipina
Obsessed with music
Homeschool squad, yeah!

Soli Deo Gloria!

"You write so beautifully. Your mind must be a terrible place."
Always on the lookout for tragic backstories and broken characters. :D

I've got an ongoing series called Stereo Tropes Co.! Where story tropes run amuck!
Search up "Stereo Tropes Co." to find the pieces.
If you want to read them in order, follow the numbers in the titles :)

Don't Mind Me, Just Waving this Magic Wand that Belongs to Someone Passed Out on the Floor | Stereo Tropes Co. (8)

15

It was a dark and stormy night, and there was a young lady, who was counting the amount of bottles of beer on the wall because she had gotten tired of witnessing her coworker's outlandish escapades in amateur drink concoction, such as trying to mix chocolate sauce into his piña colada. 
    She was already nearing the double digits in her little shanty, and STILL her Uber ride hadn't arrived.
    Prose sighed. 
    She wouldn't be surprised if her driver had gotten kidnapped by aliens.
    As she slouched even deeper over the counter, she cursed under her breath at everything she could think of.
    Her car, for breaking down all of a sudden in the office parking lot. The train, for suddenly choosing to be out of order for a whole week. The weather, for sending gushing torrents from the heavens, driving her inside a building. 
    And last but not least, she cursed Thinker, who just so happened to decide to visit this dinky little bar at the same time she strolled in. 
    "What are you doing here?" Prose had asked.
    "The question is: what am I not doing here?" Thinker had smiled.
    As her weary mind tuned out the background noise of the bar, with its moderate amount of customers, a game of pool happening in the corner, monotonous chatter, and glasses clinking, Prose closed her eyes, letting her head droop onto the--
    "CONGRATULATIONS!"
    "AAGH!" Prose whipped her head up so fast, she nearly fell off the stool. "​Por Dios!"
    With her best glare on "death mode", she faced the stranger who had surprised her. 
    The woman flipped her flashy pink scarf behind her shoulder, and that was the only part Prose could look at, unless she wanted to risk permanent eye damage from beholding the rest of the...ghastly, neon outfit. 
    The stranger quirked her perfectly painted lips into a smile of sorts and tapped Prose on the head with her thin baton, like some fairy godmother. "You, my ugly little duckling, have won a free makeover!"
    "What did you just call me?"
    "Because you sat in barstool number seventeen-and-a-half, you have won a makeover courtesy of moi," the lady twirled her baton. "Revise! But you can call me, Vise, my ugly little duckling."
    Prose backed away as best she could. "Yeah, can you please stop calling me that?"
    "But it's true!" Vise proceeded to poke and prod Prose in various place to prove her point. "Have you ever heard of good posture? And those awfully thick eyebrows! Look at that oily nose, blackheads, those flyaways, not to mention those split ends, drab clothes, boring, baggy eyes, and--" she gasped. "Oh dear! That horrendous frown! My, I've never seen such a miserable mouth since the Incident of 1998, with Mrs. Frankenstein--"
    Prose, whose face was heating up at exponential speeds, put up her hands. "Okay. You're very observant, I'll give you that. But I don't need a makeover. I'm perfectly content with the way I look now."
    Vise stared at her.
    Prose glared back. 
    Vise continued to stare at her. 
    Now Prose was starting to worry. 
    Finally Vise showed some signs of life and gave a little breathy laugh. "I'm sorry, I thought you just said that you're...content with the way you look now."
    "I did."
    "Oh dear," Vise said and promptly fainted. 
    Her baton fell into Prose's lap.
    "Wow, you managed to knock her out, bitter-brain."
    "Thinker!" Prose nearly forgot he was there. "Please don't tell me ​that was normal."
    "The makeover routine is normal. Vise is pretty famous, or should I say, infamous, for it," he slurped his new piña colada, free of chocolate syrup. "But her fainting is definitely new."
    Before Prose could query further, a crack of lightning lit up the sky outside, accompanied by a clap of thunder, and the door swung wide open, slamming against the wall. 
    "HELP!" a girl in a dress dragged in another girl who was garbed in more casual clothing. "Please help us!"
    Prose rushed to the pair. "What's wrong!?"
    The girl in the dress lit up when she saw Prose. "You must be Vise!"
    "Huh?!"
    "I could recognize your baton from anywhere," the girl beamed. Prose glanced down. She must've picked it up when she got up.
    Another name was quickly forming in her mind's "People I Need to Bestow Curses Upon" category.
    The girl continued. "Um, my name is Charlotte, and, my friend, Agatha", she gestured to the other girl, "needs your help. You're famous for your makeovers, and well, you see, there's this dance tonight at school, and Agatha needs to look pretty, so that people stop bullying her and so that her crush likes her back."
    Prose raised an eyebrow. "You think something as superficial as looks should determine your friend's idea of self-worth and value?"
    Charlotte grinned. "Well of course! That's what you always say!"
    Prose gripped the baton. "For the last time I'm NOT--"
    She stopped.
    Agatha did look pitiful in her bedraggled state. Prose could already imagine the wonders a little makeup, eyeliner, and blush could do to this ugly little duckling--
    Oh no. 
    Prose stared down at the baton. Was this making her go crazy?
    "Please, Ms. Vise," Agatha finally uttered some words, her big eyes magnified even further through the thick lens of her glasses. "You're my only hope."
    Well. 
    It did feel good to be relied upon.
    Prose sighed. "Fine--"
    "Of COURSE she'll help you!" Thinker slid up next to her. "Now, follow me! To the backstage dressing room!"
    Charlotte squealed, Agatha managed a smile, and Prose banged her head on the wall.

-----------------------

The three surrounded Agatha, who perched upon a lone stool in the compact "dressing room", if you could even call it that. Thinker had mentioned something about "smuggling moonshine back in the day", which would explain the shady setting. 
    A shady setting that did not include any makeover tools.
    "So..." Prose tapped her baton lightly on her other hand. "Anyone have any lipstick?"
Thinker quirked an eyebrow. "Why are you looking at me?"
    "Don't you have all your tools in your baton?" Charlotte placed her hands on her hips. "And also, can you hurry? The dance starts in ten minutes."
    "TEN MINUTES?!" Prose gaped. "That's not nearly enough time for--"
    Her mind flashed back to a certain bomb situation and she shuddered at the memory. 
    "Don't you worry ladies," Thinker grinned and whipped out a water bottle from inside his coat. "I happened to bring along some Montage Magic."
    "Did you steal that from the lobby?" Prose said. 
    "You wound me with your rude, yet very accurate, accusations," Thinker mocked pain. "Beside the point. If you drink this, time flies by!"
    He passed it around.
    "I feel like I'm in a cult," Prose hesitated before taking a sip. 
    "The makeover culture is basically a cult," Charlotte smiled. 
    Prose pointed her baton to the girl on the stool. "Why haven't you said much, Agatha?" 
    She shrugged, letting her mousy brown hair hang over her eyes. "I'm only supposed to look ugly, and then look pretty. Y'all are jus' taking too long."
    Albeit a bit taken aback by Agatha's sudden attitude, Prose huffed out a breath. "Well, I don't really know what to do. All my tools are in my baton? What am I supposed to say, bippity boppity boo?"
    A ray of light shot from the end of the baton and into Agatha who fell off the stool. 
    "OH MY GOSH!" Prose screamed. "Are you okay?!"
    "I..." Agatha slowly got up. "I don't feel anything like myself!"
    Prose gasped. "Oh no! I'm so sorry! Here, I'll try to fix it--"
    "And I feel AMAAAAAAAAA-ZING!" Agatha sang while striking a pose. "Wow! Who knew how much of a LOSER NERD I was before! Now THIS--" she strutted around, like a peacock on a runway. "is more like it! Hot stuff coming through!"
    As Charlotte cheered on her friend, Prose hissed at Thinker, "Something is very wrong."
    "Really? Seems like she just got what she wanted."
    "Yes, but it's not herself!" 
    "Doesn't seem to bother her."
    "THIS ISN'T RIGHT!" Prose ended her interjection with a flick of the baton still in her hand.
    Another ray of light struck Agatha in the chest. 
    When the smoke cleared, Agatha's brown hair was suddenly pulled up in an elaborate twist atop her head, any signs of zits or blemishes on her face were gone, her face was as clear and glowing as a summer's day, her glasses were on the floor, and a billowing dress swirled around her. 
    Charlotte put a hand to her heart and let out a breathy sigh. "Oh, Agatha, you are beautiful."
    Prose let out an aggravated yell. "SHE WAS BEAUTIFUL BEFORE, SHE JUST DIDN'T LIVE UP TO THE UNREALISTIC, TOXIC STANDARDS IMPOSED BY TODAY'S VAIN, BIGOTED SOCIETY."
    "Yes, yes, Ms. Vise," Charlotte waved her off.  
    "Ave María purísima," Prose muttered under her breath, burying her face in her hands. 
    Thinker picked up the glasses. "Don't you need these to see?"
    Agatha laughed and continued her sashaying. "Who needs perfect vision when you have perfect--OOF!"
    She promptly bumped into a wall, stumbled on her new four-inch heels, and fell backwards. 
    Charlotte giggled. "Oh Agatha, you're so funny! All the boys will simply adore you!"
    "Ms.Vise, please do more of your magic!" Agatha wobbled her way back to a standing position. 
    "NO!" Prose hugged the baton close to her chest. "This has gone far enough! Now go to your cursed dance, kiss your cursed crush, and get out!"
    "Wait, we have to test this!" Charlotte rushed out of the room before Prose could object. A few seconds later, she burst through dragging in a teenage boy, which was quite suspicious, considering they were in a bar. 
    "What do you think?" Charlotte's blonde curls bounced with her as she glanced expectantly at the boy.
    "That's Agatha?" his jaw dropped open. 
    Said girl blushed. 
    "This is terrible!" he went on and Charlotte stumbled. 
    The girl quickly recovered however. "But...but don't you think she's pretty? And has been all along, you've just been too blind to see it?" 
    "Blind?! She's the one who's literally blind!" he crossed his arms. "You make it sound like my opinion of her rests only on the fact that she put on a little makeup and actually brushed her hair! If I agree with you and say she's pretty, I'm only condoning the narrow, perfectionistic view people have on 'beauty'. And if I disagree with you, then it sounds like I'm a jerk for not playing into your trap. Of course Agatha is gorgeous, but she doesn't necessarily have to look it, or conform to society's standards, for people to like her and accept her. What truly matters is what's on the inside."
    Prose was just about ready to give the kid a Nobel Peace Prize. She grinned. "High five me, my man--"
    "BEGONE FOUL DEMON WHO UTTERETH LIES AND FIB-FILLED PHRASES!" Charlotte interrupted, kicking the boy out, and he went flying through the door.
    "Well then," Thinker clapped his hands once. "I think our work here is done."
    A man holding a cue stick poked his head through the open doorway. "Ooh! You're giving makeovers? Can I get one please!"
    "NO!" Charlotte's stare was turning fiery. "NO MAKEOVERS FOR MEN!"
    The stranger's face fell. "Aw, why not?"
    "BECAUSE THAT'S JUST HOW IT IS. Just go...shave and put gel in your hair or something."
    "But what if I want a facial? And a manicure? Can't I--"
    "OUT I SAY!" Charlotte stomped over to him.
    "But I just want to feel beautiful--AGH!" 
    The blonde girl slammed the door shut, then turned to face the group with an eerily large smile. "Now where were we my adorable little swan!" 
    "To the dance!" Agatha squealed and the two girls ran giggling out the room, sending their thanks to "Ms.Vise" while stepping over the real Ms.Vise's body. 
    As Prose massaged her temples, trying to figure out what the heck had just happened, she noticed Thinker pick up the baton off the floor. 
    "This could be dangerous in the wrong hands," he said, giving the stick a twirl. "You know, Vise used to work in Production at Stereo Tropes Co. I wouldn't be surprised if this used to be a product of ours." He smirked. "Do you want me to try it on you?"
    "Really Thinker? After everything you've just witnessed, you really think--"
    "Hey, I was just asking," he shrugged and made his way to the door. "Not like you need one anyway."
    He left.
    Prose stood there for a solid few seconds. 
    "What does that mean?" she spoke to herself out loud. "That I don't need one because he's agreeing with what I said, about superficial beauty and the harm that does on a woman's psyche? Or because he actually thinks I'm..."
    She didn't finish the sentence. 
    As she exited the room, her heart displayed worrying palpitations. 

For winning my contest, the lovely Eblinn  requested this trope, about the shy, nerdy girl getting a makeover and suddenly becoming the pretty girl. Thanks a million for the suggestion!!
This honestly could've gone so many different ways, but hopefully you liked this approach to the trope. And who knows, maybe Vise will make an appearance again in the future. It's a shame she fainted so quickly. :D

Also, I don't know how you pictured Thinker and Prose in your head, but I realized I never really described their looks XD
So just to put it out there: Thinker is biracial (half-German, half-Japanese) and Prose is a Latina. 

If you want MORE Stereo Tropes Co. content, follow the instructions in my Message from Writer!

• July 26, 2020 - 2:44pm (Now Viewing)

lovelovelovethisthishtissososomuchmuchmuch! the last part..... yesss! and i love how her name is reivse like makeup idk mybrain is going alll over the placeee! but this: As she exited the room, her heart displayed worrying palpitations" hahaha yessss! keep writing! <3

• ANSON REYNOLDS

this is so great
    that banter mwah *chef kiss* perfection :)
    I love charlotte so much - and that last bit with thinker and prose
    *grabs popcorn and is laughing maniacally and loving it but kinda crying because I want guys to say stuff like that to me* ;0 :)

• journal.scribbles

Eeeeek! Prose and Thinker would be so cute together!!! I never get this excited about ships lol. Seriously though, you're a super talented writer. The banter between the characters flows so well and, as always, this was absolutely hilarious. I can't believe I didn't come across this until now!

ARGHHHHHHHHHH I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sooooo hilarious!

Hey "vise" is the fairy grandmother? I thought that was Thinker!

• 2am Ghost

Hell yeah ‘Montage Magic’ lol You write so well, and I just love Stereo Tropes Co... Can’t wait for the next one! :D

Ahhhh i feel so elite for getting that bomb reference ;) and completely agree with Anne about getting excited when I see a new stereo tropes on the dashboard hehe. Like girl how are you so creativeeeeeee. "SHE WAS BEAUTIFUL BEFORE, SHE JUST DIDN'T LIVE UP TO THE UNREALISTIC, TOXIC STANDARDS IMPOSED BY TODAY'S VAIN, BIGOTED SOCIETY." YES a million time yessss. this is just art. and let it be known that I have ALWAYS shipped prose and thinker from the beginning and if something happens then agsgsgdhdh.

Replying: Thanks!! :) And I mean just look at the piece you commented on haha. I'm not even hiding my romantic inclinations.

• Eblinn

And yet another amazing addition to Stereo Tropes Co. !! I really enjoyed it, thanks for using my suggestion :) I like how you let the story take a different turn and made Prose give her a make-over (which of course, she didn't need like you explained so well). I love Charlotte's reactions in all caps and the little hint at the ship at the end is interesting... Amazing piece!

You have literally no idea how excited I get when I see the newest installment of this pop up on the Dashboard. It's as if Thinker was deprived of pineapple juice all day and Prose walked up with a glass. Also, I am LOVING the ship. *cue fangirly giggles*

• RemovedUser1

Yes!! Prose and the teenage boy have the right idea! I love both Prose’s reaction and Charlotte’s, but only because hers is funny XD. These are awesome!