Jasmine_K

she/her. 16, i write poetry
if poems disappear they have been submitted to a mag/contest, wish me luck!
est. sometime in 2017

Not sure what this is, but feedback is appreciated!

dictionary entries

14
when i say girl, and they take it to mean
  1. a shortness of breath,
  2. oiled eyelids or 
  3. crickets piled at the back of the throat
  4. a confession
  5. puckered lips full of cherry blossoms.
when i say girl, and i mean
  1. making a nameless god out of emptiness,
  2. city-pop dreaming
  3. second-day trifle licked off fingers
  4. finding glitter under your fingernails and
  5. blood under your pillowcase
when i say me, and i mean neither of these versions, or i mean both,
or i mean here, because somehow the child survives her own hand twisting her roots
out of the soil, somehow she stitches together the cracks in the bottoms of her feet.
weary breaths inverted,
she says i will say grace now, she says blow me up into the sky,
i will be here every night for you to peer at.
she holds alcohol in her mouth and they get tipsy just looking at her.

when she says girl and she only means
  1. soft bone
  2. cartilage
  3. this gentle animal body of hers
and this time they have no meaning to give her
  1. if you peel the fuzzy skin of a peach back
  2. there is just nail polish

• July 23, 2020 - 8:01pm (Now Viewing)

ahh i love the concept of this, the dictionary definitions, and i particularly adore the second and third definition lists, and the lines, "or i mean here, because somehow the child survives her own hand twisting her roots out of the soil, somehow she stitches together the cracks in the bottoms of her feet. weary breaths inverted, she says i will say grace now, she says blow me up into the sky, i will be here every night for you to peer at." i don't even know how to explain why i find those lines to be so fantastically written, i just know they are. amazing work!

asdljfaasdf;lj i apologize for being so late to read this masterpiece! really, reading this was like a breath of fresh air. the imagery used (absolutely stunning!) just... it's like little vague pieces of one disembodied puzzle. like all of the pieces are just so strong on their own but combined together they just form a beautiful cacophony of sound. ways to define a girl.... i think all of these 'definitions' are undeniably true in their own way. it's just... wow. and i just feel like that third definition, yeah... i guess that's actually pretty accurate, considering that's kinda what i think when i say 'girl' and wow, that last definition was just.... i absolutely adore this piece <33333

• Wicked!

"making a nameless god out of emptiness"
    I love this asdfghk

• pretzel_time

This poem hits different, in the best way possible. It has a warm, light orange vibe to me.

• Century Friend

"because somehow the child survives her own hand twisting her roots
    out of the soil, somehow she stitches together the cracks in the bottoms of her feet. " – that image really stuck with me. The whole thing stuck with me, to be honest. The format really adds to the poem, and it's apparent that a lot of thought went into each line. Amazing job!

• elliem

This is beautifully written. Stunning and powerful work. <3

• HeyThereRose

wow love this