journal.scribbles

Asian American
INTP-T

if i'm not writing, please force me to. if i'm writing, please yell at me to do my homework. it's the only way i'll ever get anything done.

Republishing this with a new message to readers:

There were a few different interpretations of this poem in comments and reviews, which was really cool. Thank you so much for reading this! I loved seeing all y'all's different perspectives on this piece. Feel free to read it and perceive it however you want to, but here was my intention behind it.

I wrote this while staring out the window in the car, just looking at different things. The she in this poem could either represent nature and the earth and how it's beautiful even though we humans have treated it so badly, or females in history and their fight for equal rights. Those were the main things going through my head while writing it.

her face should wear a smile

10
grass dies and dries on the side of the highway
and there’s something in her breath
not fog, not dust, not smoke
dirt.
maybe she dissolved into her old namesake,
kicked up in the air by a careless wind.

there’s a wall of shrubs and a tunnel of trees
and somehow she shines on a man-made street,
like the moon does, under certain footprints.
there’s no wind there.

and there’s a school bus. 
it floats in a sea of ferns
empty, rusting, conducting heat,
so she touches it and burns and keeps touching,
and feeling skin peeling, 
she sinks into before.

that’s all she was taught how to do.

and some teachers need to learn.

and not all lessons are the truth.

1

• ek503

"and somehow she shines on a man-made street, / like the moon does, under certain footprints." ahhh this piece is beautiful <3

• ava09 (angels, auroras and sad prose #holidayvibes)

firstly i LOVE this piece - it has such strong imagery and the ideas presented are powerful and interesting.
    secondly, i was reading the comments (sorry for eavesdropping) and i also love the selection! i'm also team maxon (although i will say i thought he was going to be a jerk in the beginning but then he was actually nice and sweet and i love him now haha) and i'm in orchestra, although a lot of my friends are in band. i play violin. i relate to hoarding bookmarks too - and i very rarely use them. :)

• birthdaycandles

another comment, I’m probably clogging up your notification box like mad lol, but I see you’re a clarinetist, me too!! band/orchestra peeps unite lol
    I remember when I was first learning how to play it I cried because I couldn’t play a quaver right for so long, I played it like two crotchets instead of two quavers. I look back at that now and I’m like “wow” because now I cry over major and minor scales and chromatics :)

• birthdaycandles

this piece is also so interesting, it leaves me with questions about what happened with her at school, but I seriously love it, nice work!!!

• birthdaycandles

replying: Ahahaha don’t worry for eavesdropping!! That’s how I get a lot of ideas for my writing anyways... hehe sshhh YESSSS we got another selection fan, and yes team Maxon all the way, i can’t lie though I definitely went through the first book routing for aspen because I thought Maxon was kind of awkward lols, but he totally grew in confidence and as well as winning America’s heart, he won mine. Story of my life, falling in love with fictional boys lol

• Century Friend

Started off strong and ended even stronger. That whole stanza at the end, "and there's a school bus…," that left such a clear image in my mind.