Cressida

she/her | mixed
aspiring scientist and writer | musician

status: constantly eating cheetos

joined: late april, 2020

I have utterly no idea what this is. I was trying to write something since I haven't had any inspiration or desire to write poetry recently (hence why I have been quite absent the past few months), so here it is? I'll probably edit it later and add more... meaning

autumn's eve in foreign lands

10

yesterday, we were sitting in the limelight. /headlights, moonlight, we cry tonight, /shed tears for homelands we never knew, /maudlin mountains that still seem new. we know / our skin will never be sliced & scalded / by the sun's rancid rays. land of our ancestors. /land of the free. we know. but tonight, /we liquify in the dark, gorging on songpyeon / and the last of our memories. sweet, sweet / bittersweet, conjuring dreams we will never / get to keep. (but do not scold us for dreaming / dreams you never dared to think).

& yet, tonight we die, we dye our hair with moonstones / & let the color stain our backs in the rain. we purify / our blood of saintly sins, sacrifice our bleeding hearts / to your burning alters. (& still, we reach to brush our / fingers against our ancestors, our disgruntled shamans). /& do not crucify us for drinking in the tears of our / ancestors' gods. at least they watch over us. at least / they know the monsters that lurk in the muddy darkness. /(you should know; you created them).

Chuseok, aka literally 'Autumn's eve' (as google has told me), is something I know very little about. My mother calls it Korean Thanksgiving, though I do not know if that is an accurate comparison or not since my family does not really do Korean holidays. 

I was just imagining being away from your family and culture on a holiday no else really celebrates and celebrating it alone, but then the second stanza turned into something about religion.

• July 24, 2020 - 6:26am (Now Viewing)

i've no face when these days old comments stand below me (i've had this bookmarked for awhile now) but i just have to say that wow. this is stunning, and even if you are inactive (no guilt for that though. it's alright!), thank you for blessing us with this ;). and those footnotes too.... rereading it with those in mind just makes *chefs kiss

• dovetrees

this is really lovely! i really do admire the way you weave words together so brilliantly! 'yet, tonight we die, we dye our hair with moonstones' is so so stunning! the drama is just perfect, i can't express that enough

i’ve heard a bit about chuseok from friends! it seems lovely! and i agree with everyone, you might be inactive, but we still cherish all of your pieces on the dash when they do come up :). “ /land of the free. we know. but tonight, /we liquify in the dark, gorging on songpyeon / and the last of our memories. sweet, sweet /” this whole piece is just a masterpiece, really

Don't feel bad about being somewhat inactive. Of course we miss you, but it's like you're a kind specter that occasionally blesses us with a masterpiece. I mean, "& yet, tonight we die, we dye our hair with moonstones"?? You're so talented.

"& do not crucify us for drinking in the tears of our / ancestors' gods. at least they watch over us. at least /" i've really missed your gorgeous poetry come up on the dashboard! this is just stunning.