Tho Nguyen

cali | her | 14
an aspiring poet
trying to find inspiration in a monochromatic world
est. june 23, 2020

give us back our words.

origami heart

3
the candlelight takes our secrets and wraps them in coils of flame. so when the morning comes, they die with it. illuminated by the absence of shadows, you took out an origami heart. pressed it into my shivering hand. the flame roared, swallowing your silhouette like an all-you-can-eat buffet. my fingers traced roads of weathered creases and crooked folds of what could have been. some tears pop out and rise to meet me, while others my fingerprint passes over. it is torn in half, crumpled and wrinkled and full of rage. i look at the microscopic stretch of paper holding it together, no bigger than an ant. david before goliath. it is so delicate, so frail i could crush it in my palm. cleanse the weakness by obeying rules laid down upon the stone tablets of civilization for millennia. but i do not. instead, i take my virgin heart and rip it down the middle. now, we are both broken.
I'm not sure what the motivation for this poem was. Lately, I've been trying to write whenever I have a pressing idea.

• July 24, 2020 - 12:56pm (Now Viewing)

"cleanse the weakness by obeying rules laid down upon the stone tablets of civilization for millennia. but i do not. instead, i take my virgin heart and rip it down the middle. now, we are both broken." it is beyond me how underrated you are bc this is some of the best prose i've seen on this site. not just saying.