Dmoral

est. 2018
she/her | junior
semi active; chaotic life.
published writer + classics enthusiast.
obsessed with name titled poetry & songs.

i'm known for my long freakin' comments and highlight crazy reviews, but like seriously? life's been to crazy y'all, so bear with me, please.

___
p.s
if i call you "love" or "lovely" that's just how i talk, so don't freak out lol

$5.00 (to my name)

18

priceless: being born is easy if you do none of the work; yet, people don’t ever realize your worth. and yes an antique is priceless, but so are your ripped, grass-stained jeans. because if there’s no money to name it, there’s not a dollar to it, either way.

$2.00: when too little for you means the world to me, that’s when you understand poverty. if there were enough dimes in the world, would i still be broke? or perhaps there is and fate’s a cruel joke.

50¢: tell me, will working ever be enough? my mother worked 3 jobs and even then, she couldn’t take care of us. irony: she never had time to spend ’cause she was focused on making money, attempting to afford us that life she never lived (when all i wanted, was her instead).

$1.10: when i reached 4th grade, i learned how by writing my troubles away, i could pretend everything’s okay. but once my teacher found my notebook & shared it with her friends, seems i could write, even back then.

40¢: pennies-heads up is good luck, face down, turn it around; yet, my grubby hands shoved them down my pocket regardless. yes, i want to go to college. no, i know we can’t afford it. carefully, i unscrew the pickle jar in my room & let the clinking sound echo freely.

$1.00: scholarships i dream of, but only its mockery is my reality. & at least my first kiss happened willingly, but i know i’ll never be rich or cool enough to attend a real party. perhaps my friends'll think of my kindly, and not my outlandish poverty.
so a few months ago (think may-ish) i saw a writing prompt about what "poverty is to you" and already i had a few one-liners in the notes app of my phone, but i decided to have it. although this piece is a tad short, it took me a while to write actually, and some serious editing. plus, i'm working on one other piece with a similar concept/message to this one, just different formatting and lines obviously. anyway, i think i just want to say that poverty is different for anyone, and regardless of any book's definition, it can mean different things. and no, i never truly had to worry about having food on the table, but i did know at a young age not to ask for stuff i wanted because we lived in a trailer and i know i can't afford it. although, hardships make great muses! 
now, i don't need your pity lol, my adoptive family and i are doing great actually. ever since we've moved we've reached our "family prime" with you will, and i just got a job so i work from around 5-6 days a week for over minimum wage and sometimes from 4-7 hours daily. my mom's doing a job she loves and my dad's working 2 jobs (one he loves & the other to help pay for retirement). and a few places in this piece is fictional and/or slightly more dramatic anyway!
so just always keep an open mind and if you wish to share a bit of your journey (or even thoughts) feel free to do so down below in the comments!! i'd love to hear from you! 

feedback of any kind appreciated!

• August 9, 2020 - 8:15am (Now Viewing)

• Wisp

When was the last time I read a piece of yours here? Gosh it feels like forever and I’m deeply sorry for that. But reading this, it’s like finding calm in the words, tranquility in each stanza, serenity in every sentence. I love it so much and reading this was like being transported to another time. The imagery is divine and your diction creates a beautiful flow in this piece. You covered a lot of big topics in this piece and it left an impact on me. And the personal touches you added (no matter how dramatic you said you made them) worked so well in the sending of the overall message. And the concept of money in the prompt of what poverty means to you—it’s just genius. I love how each experience has a price to you, how you take each moment and make it into this defining price to add to the idea of $5. Lovely really, and I wish I could explain better what this piece means to me.

Stunning—and eye-opening. Beautiful writing!

• AK_Nephtali

beautiful and rythmic

the tone your narrator carries is always so meticulous but with a scathing rasp to it—like speaking, god, your pieces are basically begging to be read aloud. i think it works especially well with a personal piece like this, the way you've infused a lot of yourself into these words just brings out the overall message of this piece beautifully. i've no right to say anything else, so i'll just leave it there. beautiful <333333

• Spade

This piece is so beautiful!

• Lights.B (#holidayvibes)

This is such a lovely piece! I absolutely loved the way you wrote this!

• dovetrees

this piece is so emotional, straight from the heart - i love the formatting too, it paces everything out so well, the message here is so important, too.

• inanutshell

oh man i love this concept & format. i'm kind of in a similar situation, living comfortably but having to know the limits of spending from young. really liked how you expressed this through different prices, esp w the line "being born is easy if you do none of the work; yet, people don’t ever realize your worth."

okay I just reread this piece. it's so beautiful and how RAW it is just makes it even more beautiful and just punched me

This is really lovely and I'm proud of you for writing it if that makes any sense. And our working situation is actually fairly similar lol. I work a part-time job in the fall, my mom teaches part-time, my dad has a regular job and also teaches piano.