dovetrees

"ad astra per aspera."
16
baking, swimming, & doctor who and history enthusiast
infj, hufflepuff, est. july 2020

any feedback is welcomed! i'll be editing this closely for a little while

for the ones who dream of stranger worlds

23

wouldn't it be lovely to experience the romance that's portrayed in most YA novels you've read? 
wouldn't it be thrilling to travel on a swashbuckling adventure through the ruins of what used to be a glorious city, on the hunt for treasure, consistently outsmarting the 'bad guys'?
wouldn't it be absolutely breathtaking to navigate to the second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning? to see the crystal blue waters in the lagoons, wave to the mermaids on the rocks, win a sword fight against the worst pirates in the universe with pan by your side -- now, that would be marvellous.

to fight dragons, find treasure, save the world -- wouldn't that be something?

i don't know about you, but i have certainly climbed into my wardrobe when i was little. perhaps eight or nine years old, fully expecting to find a winter wonderland hiding just out of plain sight. with snow five inches deep and a lamp post waiting for me just beyond.
i cannot describe the emotions i felt when i reached the back wall; was i expecting a secret passageway? truth be told, i don't know. in the back of my mind of course i know it was fiction, but a part of me was positively yearning to be a pevensie. why? i could say childlike wonder, or my imagination. the desperation to participate in the adventure of my wildest dreams. but, you see, that's all they are: dreams.

i too, dreamt of stranger worlds. on my eleventh birthday fully knowing that it wasn't going to happen, but hoping for my hogwarts letter. i too, wished for the excitement that life couldn't give me -- at least, not at so young an age.

but growing older has granted me the gift of reflection, where i realised that life is what you make of it. you could pretend to be dauntless and run as fast as your legs will take you with your friends; feel the addictive burning in your legs and the giddy after effects of finally feeling free. or, you could find your oasis of serenity in this vast desert of chaos in your bay window with a hot drink and your favourite book. 

you're the only one who can control things around here. so do us all a favour and enjoy life. laugh hard, run fast, be kind. go and take a detour through that gorgeous green forest that piqued your curiosity. build a fort, or climb a tree, or create your own adventure or treasure hunt for a saturday dedicated to the dreamers. invite your friends over and build the grandest pillow fort, fit for royalty for a movie marathon that could challenge the olympics. because sometimes, these adventures are the best. not life threatening, just fun.

you have to grow older. but growing up... that may take a while.
this is a first draft of something that i've had at the back of my mind for a while now - i'm definitely still working on it but i decided to share this draft anyway!

• July 23, 2020 - 7:14am (Now Viewing)

Hey! I would love if you could leave a comment on my historical fiction competition entry, because I finished the piece really really late due to lack of inspiration... This is the link:

Thanks a lot!

• poetri

can't believe i somehow missed this piece, it's very well done. "but growing older has granted me the gift of reflection, where i realised that life is what you make of it." is beautifully phrased and really shows the skill level you have as a writer. i love this so much and will be sure to check out some of your other work. all the best :)

Gorgeous. I am stunned. I have all too often felt the longing for a fantastical world, complete with an adventure where I am the main character. This put words to a feeling I could never describe. Thank you, thank you.

This really captures that feeling you get when you think wistfully about books and wish they were real. (I also played hide-and-seek with my siblings and hid in closets to try to find Narnia).

• hi i'm jackson ;)

i know what you mean. i feel this way every time. it makes you wonder...what if we're characters in fanfiction? and we belong in another universe? and thats why we feel like that?

and, in a way...
    isnt everything fictional real?
    in soul, if not in body?

• happygiggles

I love this! It's so relatable and the last line ties the whole piece together lovely!

yes to this whole piece! honestly i don't trust people who didn't use YA books as escapism as kids (i'm kidding obviously, but yeah this is really good and i so agree with you!)

• birthdaycandles

Oh dovetrees, I relate with you so much on this piece, I’ve always wanted to go jump into a YA fantasy world, but I kind of do when I’m reading the book anyways, like most readers do lol. Next thing I know I’m googling art, drawings, anything I can get my hands on to delve further into the make believe world. I feel as I grow up I’ll always remember these worlds, they somehow feel like a part of me.

replying: I’m also so so happy you enjoyed my piece, your comments are so so sincere and they really brighten my day/night <3

I love the way you put your thoughts into a piece of work that I think everyine on this site can relate to. I remember actually getting a (fake) Hogwarts letter when i was eleven, and I don't even live in UK. I remember climbing into my wardrobe, and even hanging a very badly drawn picture of a ship on the sea, hoping it floods my room.

"you have to grow older. but growing up... that may take a while."

This line means so much, and it tells me I can be stuck in my fantasies for a long time, but time comes when I need to face reality.

I love all your writing!

• Hi, I'm Bored

Yes, yes and yes. You have such a divine way of saying that we should all live to be free.

"but growing older has granted me the gift of reflection, where i realised that life is what you make of it. you could pretend to be dauntless and run as fast as your legs will take you with your friends; feel the addictive burning in your legs and the giddy after effects of finally feeling free. or, you could find your oasis of serenity in this vast desert of chaos in your bay window with a hot drink and your favourite book" This is amazing it's so inspiring.

Your words a magic!

don't think I've said this before- but I'm very glad you joined WtW :)

"laugh hard, run fast, be kind. go and take a detour through that gorgeous green forest that piqued your curiosity. build a fort, or climb a tree, or create your own adventure or treasure hunt for a saturday dedicated to the dreamers" I love this! You've excellently captured the longing we feel as children, stunning work :)

• Cici'sTimes

a beautiful piece that definitely captured our childhood dreams. I would totally read your finished work

• amandaorange

I love this so much, and I think you portrayed the emotions in it really well!

• bellairet

This is a great concept, set up and executed beautifully! I love all the references- and the thing about waiting for the Hogwarts letter is too true (I don't even live in the UK!).