rainandsonder

"the audience is only safe when the story isn't about them."

they/them - probably listening to sufjan stevens

an important piece by outoftheblue- https://bit.ly/3dBxv5r

black lives matter & pride is over but the fight for lgbt+ rights is year round.

bio quote is from the magnus archives

from sweltering blacktops & too-still streets

sitting on cinderblocks by the road, watching the moving truck across the street groan under the weight of the sun; let the hours sift through my fingers, let them fall into the street and flatten under thrumming tires, tires stirring up the helicopter seeds, helicopter seeds taking flight like the starlings we used to see over the music store, hundreds of wings flapping up a low hum in the flat fall air; i used to run up the street during my brother's piano lessons, get a box of fried tofu from the place next to starbucks, and when i walked back i pretended that no one in the world knew me, letting the wind nip at my heels and nose like my grandparent's cat; i used to sit on the swing bench in their stone garden, rolling a sweetgum seed under the heel of my shoe; in the evenings i would walk to the dock, hang my feet in the lifeless gray water, the trees dipping and swaying like a ballroom dance, their exposed roots dragging cross the surface, and in the summer there would be wild strawberries, fleshy and sour; in another time, in another place, there was a playground 'cross the street, and wild strawberries poked their heads out shyly among the dandelions, but we hardly noticed them then; we picked the sourgrass on our way home from school, the clouds quiet in the boiling blue sky like a movie frame, the air sweltering on the blacktops and roads, and sometimes i would sit on the curb of our cul-de-sac where no one else lived and suck on the stems and stare at the playground 'cross the street, hidden by a grove of pines, until winter came and it was our moving truck i was watching instead, a thermos of coffee in my hand; now i watch the neighbor's truck pull out of their driveway, scraping against the bushes, ready to bring someone's life somewhere else, although now, sitting on the cinderblocks by the side of the road, it's a bit hard to believe that there could be anywhere to escape to from these still, searing streets.  
i feel a bit bad about the fact that this is just a block of text, but i can't really break it up without ruining the exercise, so. i was originally going to write about how incredibly dull life under lockdown is but ended up thinking more about all the places i used to go before the pandemic started, so then this sort of turned into a trip down memory lane instead?

1

*feature I CANT SPELL

awesome future!! your voice is literally gorgeous oh my gosh

• Tomb of Jade (#spookified)

this is so so so gorgeous! Definitely deserved to be featured! I'm so glad it was...cause otherwise I'd never have seen it!

KFDJHASDLFKJH WEDNESDAY WORDS-

• dovetrees

YAY congrats for being featured!! that's so awesome!

wow this is so nostalgi and beautiful,and the mood of the piece is ahhh !!! i love this so much,im speechless
    oh and congrats for being wednesday words!you deserve it

• inanutshell

AH I'M SO GLAD THIS GOT FEATURED!! hearing you read it out loud made me notice so many more in the piece, brings out the nuance i never noticed before. congrats!!!

WOOOOO I'M SO HAPPY THIS GOT FEATUREDDDDD!

• EliathRose

This is such a cool piece! I didn't read it through very thoroughly yet, but I'm going to go back and really soak it in soon here.
    Replying: Oh, using line breaks sounds like such a cool thing to experiment with. I've been looking for ways to switch up the way I write poetry, and that sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the feedback, too, by the way!

• dovetrees

this piece made me feel super nostalgic, especially when you spoke about playgrounds. it made me think back to actually being in a playground, running around and never getting tired haha :) i love the imagery of the wild strawberries too, it really gives a summery feel and makes you realise some beautiful things are just so small!

awck don't apologize about the block of text thing! i was a little intimidated by it, but your impeccable style just makes it so easy to read! i love the comforting feeling of this. might just come back every time i'm missing summer ;)

• Wicked!

I adore the imagery here, especially the part about helicopter seeds :)

• inanutshell

aww a wonderful trip down memory lane; these memories all seem so sweet <3