Peer Review by black_and_red_ink (Canada)

and that's on being the therapist friend

By: HelpMe512

there was a person who was kind. they would comfort their friend when she was in need, and they would always be ready with a hug and an uplifting statement. they would fight for that friend. they would die for her. they made sure she was never lonely, and that she always had someone that would listen.

but they never talked about what they've been through. they never answer the question how are you? truthfully. they never show their struggles or let their friend help because what kind of a friend would they be if they burdened her? they let their friend believe everything was fine because their answer was always "i'm fine."

but how would they know the exact advice to give? how would they know what words soothe or when she needed a hug? they knew because they are the one they wish they had. but they didn't, so the decided to become the lifeline for someone else. but what they lack is a lifeline themself. they knew because their struggles are beyond sadness and breakups. they knew because they grew up too fast.

i knew because i've experienced heartbreak, and grief, and pain. i don't want her to experience that too.

lowercase intentional.
sometimes the ones that seem the most okay are actually the ones that just need a hug

You chose a wonderful topic to write about that I'm sure a lot of young people on this site can relate to. You also presented it in a very creative form. You used poetic prose to describe the emotions in this piece. And I really loved some of the lines which I highlighted. Over all this is a deeply moving piece. I really wish I could read more pieces where people are so honest about their emotions.

It is interesting that you used third person in this piece. Was their a reason for this choice? And do you think it would have a stronger impact if you used first person to describe it from the point of view of the therapist friend? Alternatively, you may try second person (which is a point of view that is rarely used but that I think would suit this piece very well). In second person you could write this almost like a letter to the therapist friend's friend. For example, your last line could be changed to "i don't want you to experience that too.'"

I am assuming this piece is based on you. If that is the case, remember that it's okay to open up about your feelings in your writing. Writing is a great coping method for a lot of things. And WtW is a really supportive community that's here to help. Please don't feel like you're a burden on your friends. And if it gets exhausting being a therapist friend, remember that it's okay to take a break and make yourself a priority sometimes. This is a great piece and I would love to read more of your writing!