pineapples

Pineapples
I love reading and writing (obviously)
he/they, they/them preferred

"have I killed my thoughts right before their prime?
have I bit my tongue one too many times?
have I said it all the way I really meant to?"
~ben platt

Refer to these pieces when you need more info on the LGBTQIAP+ community:
ON A-SPEC ERASURE:
https://bit.ly/2ZZ3wzD

On genders out of the binary of male and female:
https://bit.ly/3gMkJDl

Basic definitions of sexual orientations:
https://bit.ly/38Nn91w

On the difference between romantic and sexual attraction:
https://bit.ly/2DsW2xb

first you need the basics.

8

We all know about and accept the LGBTQIAP+ community. (If you don't, please go educate yourself, and after you do start to accept us, and know about us, come back. Actually, this piece might be a good intro. Stay. And then go educate yourself some more.)

Anyway. Now, we all know about and accept the LGBTQIAP+ community. But I'm sure many people have stumbled across many words they do not understand. So here I've created for you a comprehensive guide to some of the rich vocabulary in the LGBTQIAP+ community. This piece is going to specifically talk about sexual and romantic orientation.

We are starting with prefixes. Once you really understand how the lingo in the LGBTQIAP+ community works, it will be really simple to understand. 

Here we start with sexual and romantic orientation labels. (upcoming piece on the difference between sexual and romantic orientation :))

Homosexual - Now, I'm sure we've all heard this. It is also known, perhaps more commonly, as gay. Someone who is homosexual, or gay, is someone who is sexually attracted to people of the same gender as them.

Heterosexual - This is also known as straight. Straight people are men that are sexually attracted to women, and women who are sexually attracted to men. 

Lesbian - A lesbian is woman who is sexually attracted to other women. (Lesbians are women who are homosexual)

Bisexual - Bisexual people who are sexually attracted to two or more genders.

Pansexual - Pansexual people can be sexually attracted to anyone. They are also commonly called genderblind, as the gender of their partner is less important to them than their person. 

Asexual - Asexual people experience little to no sexual attraction. Some asexual people describe themselves as sex-repulsed, but that is not the case for all asexual people. 

Demisexual - Demisexuality is on the same spectrum as asexuality. Demisexual people experience no sexual attraction until a strong emotional bond is formed with someone. 

Androsexual - Androsexual people are people who are sexually attracted to men or masculine-presenting people.

Gynesexual - Gynesexual people are sexually attracted to women or feminine-presenting people. 

Omnisexual - Omnisexual people are sexually attracted to people of all genders. This is different from pansexuality. Pansexuality is a sexual attraction to any gender. Pansexual people do not care about the gender (some people might, but for the sake of explaining this lesser known sexual orientation, that is how we are describing it) while omnisexual people are attracted to all genders. 

Skoliosexual - Skoliosexual are people who are sexually attracted to people that are nonbinary or who are not male or female. This sexual orientation is one for people who do not fall into male or female, as that would probably be seen as fetishizing. This is not a fetish, it is a valid sexual orientation for nonbinary individuals. 

Abrosexual - Abrosexual people's sexual orientation fluctuate. Sometimes, they could be straight, another time gay, or ace. (It's not quite that simple, actually, but for the length of this piece, I will leave that there.)

Romantic attraction - for romantic attraction, just use the prefixes above (homo-, hetero-, demi-, skolio-, etc) and add romantic instead of sexual. (Homoromantic, heteroromantic, demiromantic, skolioromantic, etc...)

This is nowhere near all of the ways someone can identify, but these are the basics. 

In the modern world, sometimes, people expect you to know some of these things, but since lots of education systems omit LGBTQIAP+ studies from their curriculum, I figured some people might not know as much. So this is for you. 
I am obviously not all of these, so I did the best I could, but if you have corrections or notes on how I did, please let me know :)
(also, I just felt like writing pieces like this. informational, and not really for enjoyment, just so that people are aware of these things. sometimes, it's kind of expected that people just know these things, and this is for those who might not.)
This isn't exactly a piece to enjoy, per se, but this is in case someone needs this information, I just want there to be a piece on WtW that people can just refer to.

Also, you can comment other romantic and sexual orientations so people have more info (I didn't do all of them)

• July 11, 2020 - 3:19am (Now Viewing)

excellent piece! explains everything simply and respectfully. i would like to add, for anyone that might be wondering why you would need terms like androsexual or gynesexual when you could use gay/straight, those terms provide ways for nonbinary people to describe their orientation. more terms for women attracted to women are wlw and sapphic, and more terms for men attracted to men are mlm and achillean. nblw and nblm are similar terms but for nonbinary people. terms like these are often used for when you want to address everyone in a community- for example, with wlw, if you want to address every woman that's attracted to women, you probably don't want to list "lesbians, bisexual women, pansexual women, etc", so wlw can be used instead.
    additionally, the term a-spec is used for people who fall in the asexual spectrum, and the term m-spec is used for anyone who's attracted to multiple genders (bi, pan, etc). thanks for writing this post and explaining everything so clearly!

• poetri

very good! this definitely gives an overview and does that in a clear, accessible way. i commend you for it. all the best, dear <3

ahh, i def learned a lot through this *curses heteronormative education system*
    thank you for writing this!