Pavlo Korol

Ukraine

My first encounter with the mantis

As a kid, I used to go to the Crimean peninsula with my parents on my summer holiday quite often to get this outstanding and incredible pleasure from swimming in the Black Sea. Certainly, not only was I resting up there, but also helping my parents with some housework, a little bit of cooking and so on. However, there was this one unprecedented-for-me moment, when I saw the mantis crawling up the table. That's when I got interested in the natural world, on the whole.
As I saw this quite unusual tiny creature, I thought to myself - "What a beautiful creature this is..." I put the mantis on my finger and that's when I sensed this amazing feeling of being connected with the nature and environment. As, I saw this animal for the first time and it had a look at me, I was at a loss for words. I remember that moment pretty clearly since I was even surprised to some extent by the manner of its posture. The mantises stand as if they pray for something to someone. I came up with the idea that the mantis was doing this on purpose, so I didn't kill him, but I decided to ask my mother why they stayed in such a strange way. She told me that this was typical for them. Right after that, I let the mantis itself go and a little bit later in the evening, I found out that after reproductive act between male and female mantises, the female one eats its reproductive partner. I was stunned when I found out this terrible information with the help of the Internet, but of course there is nothing to be done. All in all, it was one of the most memorable and special moments for me.
Frankly speaking, I was born on the countryside and I've been living here since my birth, so I don't think you can impress me by showing me chickens or cows or even foxes. But the thing is that I'd never encountered any mantises in my whole life before. Now, my worldview in terms of animals has become deeper, as lately, while staying in Kiev for a while, I was going around different zoos to make sure that there are no unusual or unknown to me animals. As a matter of fact, I found myself really interested in the animals and probably, one day, I will become a vet or something, in a related field, but this is still a pretty controversial question.

• Pavlo Korol

Thanks a lot for supporting me.

• ElsaRee

wonderful!

Great job!

• Bhavya's Treasure

Congrats for getting featured Pavlo!
    This is an interesting anecdote. These days technology has drifted kids away from nature but I'm happy you still appreciate it...
    All the best for your future endeavours! :)