crow_e

23 neurotic crows in a recycled flesh suit
he/him || 17 || intp-t || lgbtq+
prosaic poet & sci-fantasy fiction writer
community ambassador alum [summer 2020]
published in wtw review issue 2.2
standing in solidarity with those angry

active? nah. still around sometimes though

soldier - from soldier//poet//king series

12
His name is Elias and he is a soldier. He is blonde and tall and mighty and good with women even though he has no interest in them. His eyes are green as the sea his mother bore him by - he feels the saltwater tugging at his blood when he nears, and the smell of the ocean is like home. He is twice as large as his mother, but he is gentle, and some days he rides down to the sea and sits on the balcony of her lighthouse, and they drink sweet mead and watch the sun set. She tells him of the fisherman who come to court her, he tells her of the kitchen boy he’s falling in love with, and both of them will laugh at their circumstances. Because she has no interest in men anymore, and he has caught the eye of the princess, and neither of them can bear to see the outcome of the most likely circumstance. 

His name is Elias and he is afraid of snakes. He is also afraid of his destiny and what it means he will have to do. Sometimes he feels suffocated under the weight of his kingdom’s sky, forever blue-grey in the snow. Some days, he wants to tear his way out of the city walls, his love in his arms, and run down to the lighthouse, where he can live out the rest of his days in peace. His love calls him a hopeless romantic, but he knows there’s affection in it. His love’s name is Adam, and he is a brown-eyed kitchen boy who Elias found trying to teach himself how to read on the roof during a nightly patrol. Since then, Adam has learned how to read, and Elias has learned how the moonlight reflects in dusky brown eyes. He has also learned that the space between his arms is painfully empty without Adam there.

His name is Elias, and he does not wish to be a soldier anymore, not since the day he was told to burn a rebellious village to the ground, and watched mothers and children burn to death in their homes. It made him sick, to realise what he had done, to wash the soot and blood from his hands and armour, and he knows he cannot do it anymore. He wishes he could leave, take Adam by the waist and run off to the sea, but if he does, they will both lose their heads, and that is not a risk worth taking. 

His name is Elias, and he is waiting for something to change.

Written:  july 1 i think, i didn't write the date in my notebook when i first wrote it
Edited [minimally]:  july 6
Originally published:  july 6
-
For my writer's conference project, I'm working on a short story loosely based on the song "Soldier, Poet, King" by The Oh Hellos, which you can check out here. I haven't written any of the other characters' sketches yet but i did finish the first draft of the short story an hour before deadline, so i'm happy. might write on this more later? left the opening for a series here. let me know what you think and if you'd want more, whether that be from this universe or sketches from other projects i'm working on!

1

so i clicked on the link to the song and spent, i kid you not, a full minute staring at the screen trying to figure out why anyone would make a song have so much silence at the beginning before realizing that my laptop was muted. i guess you could say i'm something of a genius.
    putting that aside, i absolutely adore this character and i'm already so intrigued by his story, there's so much room for complex characterization and storytelling here, i absolutely would love to see more from this universe. let me know if you ever post more of it or post the full short story!

• jun lei

i love the simplicity of this, and the sort of soft ache and beauty to it. the repetition of "his name is Elias" is lovely, and you've given us a detailed sketch of his character while still telling a story, his story. the conclusion was short, simple, befitting of this piece, i think, yet still open-ended and powerful. can't wait to read more of this series!

(paragraph one, line seven, "She tells him of the fisherman who come to court her," "come" should be altered to "comes" to fit the number of a single fisherman).

• Dmoral

reviewed!!

(also, in a perfect world, this is part of my twilight keeper world, 'cause i felt those vibes. but at last, this is your work and it's stunning. hope my review helps!! i owe you anyway, lol)

also yes :o i am super curious to know more about these characters! the ending seems so intriguing...makes me wonder what elias plans on doing to “fix” his situation. if you’re posting this short story anywhere else, i’d love to see it! also, i know vine is dead and practically archaic at this point, but....Adam.

oh my gosh i LOVE that song so this is. whew. perfect.

• tragicbirthday

yes, i do quite like this.

• HelpMe512

That song is so good, and I absolutely love what you're doing with it here.