naomi ling

est. 6/14/20

do you like who you are?

melancholy is our medicine

19
midnight finds me splayed on a corkscrew mattress with dusty frame
and i find myself collecting dust with fingers to confront reality 
at the bedside, golden ichor oozes out of a sputtering radio (frank-sinatra-style)
and i long to lick it with sweaty palms 

suffocating blankets swipe at my legs with mothball claws 
and i seek musty pillows for hollow comfort
they tell me all about you, and of course i listen
after all, what good does fools' company do? 

somewhere behind paper walls, hushed murmurs are stitched from silence
and if i listen close, i think they're talking about me 
(i think i like the attention) 
and i swallow tablets of melancholy to ease the voices 

as slabs of sunlight slice onto mattress, i pine for the night again
i don't actually experience melancholy so if this is completely inaccurate it is all on me :") 

• July 8, 2020 - 1:26pm (Now Viewing)

Wow this is so good... I am awestruck. Your imagery is amazing. If I hadn't known, I would have thought I was reading a professional, published poem. Gorgeous work.

umm how are you so talented?????!!!
    "and i find myself collecting dust with fingers to confront reality
    and i long to lick it with sweaty palms" wow the imagery,its so calming and serene and beautiful at the same time

• min⁷

oh wow, this piece is spectacular. can't wait to wake up and check for your every new piece :-)

• N.

agh "golden ichor oozes out of a sputtering radio" ...the absolute aesthetic imagery, i stan. "hushed murmurs are stitched from silence" is definitely my favorite line, i love the implications and the visual of it.
    lovely, haunted work :)

"suffocating blankets swipe at my legs with mothball claws" yes!! that line captures that sensation so perfectly! also loved the alliteration in "slabs of sunlight slice onto mattress", and the line "somewhere behind paper walls, hushed murmurs are stitched from silence/and if i listen close, i think they're talking about me /(i think i like the attention)" i used to really struggle with being able to fall asleep and would often just stay up thinking and sort of going down a spiral and this piece is so relatable to me for that, it's just so incredibly accurate and beautiful in that hazy insomniac way. from the beginning lines that set the scene like the opening shot of a movie, to those last lines that complete the night to morning cycle, this is a fantastic piece!

• Christy Wisdom

Wow, this imagery is absolutely stunning. I absolutely love your writing style, it's so lyrical! Also, replying: adfdfds thank you so much!! Homeschooling was definitely challenging, but it was fun. I got to be around my family a lot because of it :D It also meant that I could be taught from a curriculum that was Christian, too, so that was nice. Oriental food, mm I just love it. It's my go-to whenever I'm cooking dinner and it's just the best thing ever.

awww naiomi, thank you <3 your comment was sweet!

“ and i find myself collecting dust with fingers to confront reality
    at the bedside, golden ichor oozes out of a sputtering radio (frank-sinatra-style) ” these first few lines are literal gold. should i say golden ichor to fit with the theme? haha. okay. i’m not funny. anyway: the mood that you set up with these lines is MAGICAL. it’s so somber yet serene (?) at the same time. it’s this mundane type of midnight magic. it instantly brings the reader into melancholy and it’s wonderful. wow.
    “ suffocating blankets swipe at my legs with mothball claws
    and i seek musty pillows for hollow comfort ” the sensory detail that you employ here is magnificent. it’s the uncomfortable toss and turn for sleep at night that really gets me here. and OOF THE MELANCHOLY...being utilized thru the device of sleeplessness. *chef’s kiss* fanatastic.
    “ somewhere behind paper walls, hushed murmurs are stitched from silence / and if i listen close, i think they're talking about me ”
    this just seems so meticulous? and well crafted? like, the artistry of this piece is off the charts. wow. i’m gonna reread this ten times over. *mwah* lovely. so, so so so so so so so lovely as always. <3

eyy, frank sinatra! love him.
    'somewhere behind paper walls, hushed murmurs are stitched from silence
    and if i listen close, i think they're talking about me ' naomi!!! teach me your ways!! It's so beautiful. <3

• inanutshell

man your writing always makes me feel all the emotions. love the imagery you can create out of small moments 'golden ichor oozes out of a sputtering radio' and 'slabs of sunlight slice onto mattress', really beautiful. also like chrysanthemums&ink said, the opening line is amazing!!

those opening lines, what? i think i'm in love. the whole thing, from that breathtaking beginning to that absolutely phenomenal ending (like those lines, i want those on my wall??? i love love LOVE that ending line with all of my weak heart). also, i must thank you for letting me rediscover the word 'musty' lol. but wow. this whole thing i want in stone because it's just so damn beautiful and it's a whole somewhat 'relatable' journey. :''). i'll definitely reread this bc it's so fricking amazing. absolutely adore this. <333