dovetrees

"ad astra per aspera."
16
baking, swimming, & doctor who and history enthusiast
infj, hufflepuff, est. july 2020

"one day, you will be old enough to start reading fairytales again."
weekly must-reads! (every sunday):

Open When You're Feeling Lost

Dear Stranger,

I do not know you, yet I do. I know you like to read, for I have left this letter in the red phone box on the street corner that our town has transformed into a library. I know that you're feeling confused, lost, maybe just blue; otherwise you would not have broken this seal. As a result of this, you may be desperate to find your purpose in the world now that we have all been left in a global limbo. I have written this letter to you in hopes that it will lift your spirits and encourage you to continue moving forward through the heavy fog. We cannot see through it at the moment, but eventually it will lift, and everything will become clear again.

Firstly, I would like you to take a moment. Open the door to the phone box and keep it open with your foot. Listen. 

Are the birds still singing? Can you hear the gentle zephyr of the wind through the trees? Or maybe the wind is harsher today, thunder sounding through the leaves. These trees help us breathe, keep us alive, they don't care what the world is like right now. They haven't changed, the earth has continued to spin. Now, close the door. You must be getting cold.

Appreciate these little things more: The casual magic of a sunset, blushing with peach and rose and lilac, or the constellations twinkling at night. Take a moment every day to feel more present, and perhaps you'll feel more stable.
Now, cast your thoughts to the most important person in your life. The one person who you love as the sun loves the daytime, or the stars love the night. How do they make you feel? Do you find your cheeks hurt from smiling so much with them? Does your stomach ache with the aftereffects of too much laughter?

I have something to tell you. 

You are that person for somebody else. You are their firefly in the night, their rock. Do treat yourself kindly and with respect. Do be kind to others and lift them up, because the world needs it. Now more than ever.
Because at the end of the day, why can't our purpose be spreading kindness to make other people feel much better? This is my message to you.

For your pleasure, I have left a book of my own underneath my letter. It is one that I had received from a friend when I was feeling like you. It is a story of friendship, heartbreak, survival, which seems to resonate with the themes of months gone by. But it is also one that makes you feel so very alive. I'm giving it to you, dear stranger, in the hopes that you will also feel invigorated. Treat it well. Absorb every feeling, every word, and cherish them. You can only read a book for the first time once, so make it worth your while -- because this book may change your life. For it has certainly changed mine. 

You do not know me, and I do not know you. Do not dwell on this, as you will work yourself into such a bother that my entire letter will be forgotten.

Remember the birds. Their song shows life goes on behind the deafening noise of the media.

Remember the plants. Their flowers show that nature is healing from the cars that used to sit bumper to bumper on the freeway, emitting mass pollution.

And finally, remember the love. Wave to the family across the street. Ask one of our elderly neighbours if they need a hand or a chat. Catch up with family or old friends, because 'how are you?' means more to us now than ever. 

And then, my dear friend, pass on this message. Pass on the book. Hold this message close to your heart for as long as you live, and ensure it lives on. Even when the fog has lifted, somebody will still benefit from this message. People will still feel lost. It is our duty to help them be found.

• July 17, 2020 - 6:53am (Now Viewing)

• journal.scribbles

This is so beautiful. I'm really glad I read it. Your word choice is amazing and I love the simple message. Good luck with the competition!

• nessieisforreal

I absolutely love the line "you can only read a book the first time once," its very true and means a lot to me. The whole poem has a mood of both peace and self awareness, and is inspiring. Good luck in the competition :)

• birthdaycandles

oh this is absolutely beautiful. it’s something different from many of the other entries for the competition I've read so far, and i think it’s because of the atmosphere you’ve created with nature, the birds and the surroundings. I felt like I was in that phone box and reading that letter! this is like a little letter full of self-awareness, mindfulness, thankfulness and love. reading it was so calming and it felt like a little meditation when I read it today :) this is one of my favourite letters ive read for the competition, i wish you luck!

the imagery in this is just so lovely and calming, good luck for the competition! :)

• olivia.buckle

Wow this is amazing, I love it so much! The phrase "who you love as the sun loves the daytime, or the stars love the night" is beautiful - it really resonated with me. It is a beautiful letter, and the reminder is so important now in times where we feel so pulled apart. Good luck!! :)

• garbanzobeaniebabies

Absolutely loved this! It made me feel warm and appreciate myself and my surroundings. Although I'm not in the little red box, I could see it in my mind. I could feel the gentle breeze drift in, even though I'm indoors. You are wonderfully able to capture the scene and bring it to life.