sunny.v

she/her | asian
wtw community’s official older sister
running off into the sunset with circe
est. april 27, 2020

swordwielding protector of all minority groups
satire sorceress, lady knight

she clasps peonies, allure, & love

i’m still catching up on sleep but...it’s gotten better! i’ll return soon :) tl;dr: expect peer reviews in absence of a comment, check out these lovely pieces, and please do participate if you still want to and haven’t already!

#childofyournation compilation that took me way too long

18

to everyone that participated: i can’t thank you enough. reading through everyone’s pieces for the challenge was so, so delightful—i’ve been taken through so many worlds and been told so many personal stories. i’ve seen a lot of pride in many writers’ backgrounds, and that just makes me inexplicably pleased. thank you so much for partaking in my challenge :’] it’s an honor, really.

(if anyone still wants to do the challenge, please, feel free! this is just for everyone that participated as of 7/4/2020, but if you still wanna make your own version, i’d love to see it! <3 )

here’s the gallery of pieces for #childofyournation! (in alphabetical order of usernames):

stained daughter of dragons and lions by amaryllis
“i am the stained daughter of dragons and lions / swinging on a pendulum of a dragon’s delicious candy beards / and oily french fries on Friday noons / jasmine reaching to the sun and moon “

wandering daughter of the bering sea by And_The_Stars_Laughed
“where i belong may not be / where i come from, / may not be the world i stand in right now / rather, / its where my heart is scrawled: / wandering through the waves of the / bering sea.”

Confused Daughter of the In Between by Anne Blackwood
“palestinian hospitality / got a bit lost in translation / what is it like to be welcome anytime / the only thing i understand / is food i never wanted to cook /“

child of emeralds by AutumnRain
“i am the child of the Emerald Isle/ though not as green as it used to be/ groundwater flows deep into the earths pores/ hints of gold mixed with blue flecks/ electric with pain and history and/ death/ “

chocolate-eyed daughter of seven by Christy Wisdom
“sip jasmine tea and munch on fortune cookies/lazy susan shares the custard pies among the round table members/bring us all together/firefly hovers/blinking/just out of reach/soak up culture and traditions as i read Joy Luck Club”

dirty daughter of the middle kingdom by chrysanthemums&ink
“i am the little girl of mad crimson mountain pagodas bellowing to the heavens / taoist shrine beats his chest against the yellow sky and offers us cracked-concrete stairs / we take to gratefully, torn nikes slipping against wet pavement / planning on scaling the sky with our aching calves /“

zealous daughter of an american dream by Dmoral13
“they ask me for my / ethnicity and cultural / identity on those / during overrated testing / i make my own box / and write / american & free, / proudly / since i'm everything that / ever could be and /“ and “ even if the / apple doesn't fall far / from the tree / i was replanted in a new / tree gallery of those / who could be / . /“

vibrant child of the red, white, and blue by EliathRose
i am the baby born from fields of grain / wheat blowing in the wind / houses full of workers / big skies stretching larger than the land / rolling hills / choke cherries puckering lips / small, widespread towns / friendly artisan workers who give you a discount if you're nice /“

nostalgic girl of the red dot by inanutshell
“i am the baby born again in hawker centres / of ethnic food stalls transcending space and time / where morning kopi washes away our differences / but preserves our diversity / here, we're all just waiting “

daughter of your ashkenazi ways by mia_:)
“/ i am the little girl who hangs produce from the thatched roof of the sukkah / shake the lulav and don't forget to flip the etrog / i am the little girl who cannot fold hamantaschen to save my life / nor can i eat the challah that seems to always be baking in the oven /“

drifting girl of the orient by naomi ling
“i am the daughter of immigrant parents / of mother tongue and yellow paint that doesn't wash away / mama, i tried to wipe it off but it is a stain / stain to be a foreigner / of two nickels for garnished meat buns at the supermarket /“

vibrant daughter of mother india by outoftheblue  
“/coconut chutney permeates emboldened souls, onam fast approaches/snake boat-races cheered on by the youthful simplicity of hope/the bharatnatyam dancer's crimson delicate movements/skilled expressions may you never fade into shadows “

The daughter of music by SunV
“The daughter of music / Will never walk out of beat / Will never sing out of tune / Will never live out of pitch”

Strange Child of the Red Dust by The Midnight One
“i am the son of the whispering gums / the bush scrub of dull greens and silvery greens / perch swimming through the billabong, black swans and cormorants nesting in the reeds /“

striking daughter of eurasia by Vinter Vejen
“i am the little girl of the wolves / those which hold daring in their eyes and mischief in their souls/ slinking body commanding a legend / pour the saftevand into sparkling cups /“

child of the sindhu by Wicked!
“i am born of independence that they say came from ahimsa / non-cooperation and civil disobedience / satyagraha and salt marches / but we remember the young revolutionaries / we remember the women they don't talk about // of the six metres of cloth / draped around a woman's curves // of the holy fire that bears witness to your marriage /“
-if i haven’t left a comment detailing how much i appreciate your piece: expect a peer review of it as my apology! they might take a bit, to be honest, but they’ll get there.
-thank you all so much for participating! <3 have my whole heart, why don’t ya. (heehee)

• July 5, 2020 - 6:19pm (Now Viewing)

replying: im down.
    (But we do need something to rival a gummy engagement don't we?)

• jun lei

https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/179289/version/358494 q&a answers! thank you for asking!

ahahaha "social distancing sorceresses" sounds straight out of a rick riordan novel

• And_The_Stars_Laughed

Thank you so much for putting this compilation together -- this was such a fun challenge to participate in!! :)

Replying: Oh thank you so much for your comment! *brain overloads*

• birthdaycandles

I agree! v This challenge really brought me out of my shell and encouraged me to open myself up a bit through my writing, seriously enjoyed it! Thanks for the amaze prompt sunny!

• Christy Wisdom

aah this is so cool! Thank you for coming up with this challenge, it was really fun :)

• purplepanache

honestly, enjoyed all these pieces so much. and i absolutely loved your original work. i think it's really cool of you to encourage people to explore the beauty of their cultures. im waiting for some inspiration oohf.

thank you for all the hard work sunny! just such a lovely challenge to participate in. <3

This idea was amazing! I really enjoyed writing this poem, and I look forward to read the others!

• inanutshell

thank you for the challenge! gave me a much-needed push during my brain fog week. also loved seeing everyone's version of this, it's cool to see and learn from so many cultures & heritages. thanks again, sleep well!

• EliathRose

This was such a cool idea! Thanks so much for coming up with it, and for letting everyone else have the opportunity to try it out as well! It was so much fun.

This was such a great idea! I loved reading all the pieces inspired from this prompt! Must have taken a lot of work to put this together, and I applaud you for that!

whew! that was a lot! trendsetter sunny, make sure to get some sleep after this. ;) thank you for all your hard work! <333 actually maybe it's me that needs sleep bc i misspelled 20% of the above works and had to retype this *scratches head*.
    ooooooh queen!!! thank you for letting us borrow your template and for starting a string of fantastic pieces! <333 love u!

Thank you so much for sparking our creativity with this awesome prompt!! I was able to write things I didn't even know I felt and read things I'd never known. <3

• Vinter Vejen

thank you... m'lady <3

• Vinter Vejen

this was fun to participate in!! thanks for letting me butcher your poetry, it has been a pleasure m'lady. :)