BeTheChange18

writer
"work hard in silence and let success be your noise"
community ambassador alumni [summer 2020]

"As you grow older you will discover that you have two hands. One for helping yourself, the other for helping others."
~Audrey Hepburn

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."
~Nelson Mandela

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
~Margaret Mead

Sweetest Simplicity

The bees arrived to the urban meadows, where the wildflowers planted their seeds. Near the choir of the blooms, we watched them move, as if to unseen instructions.
Wings glimmering like the surface of ruffled ice and simultaneously, they ignited nature's music. Filling their chambers one by one, the amber fluid, so viscous, so sweet.  In a meditative buzz of fellowship, the bees sung their way through the summer haze.

Nature fashioned her bees as beautifully as her flowers; together they were the finest of art. Come along now he told me, let's take a closer look. Eyes to eyes, we watched in wonder. Golden hairs radiating from the dark night thorax. The abdomen like a black and gold striped ellipse, it's point to an end at the stinger. He tells me the pollinators must electrify, but may they do honey-sweet things for us all. The bees were as sweet as the nectar they sought - each was the brilliant yellow of every sunny daydream I've dreamt. Visions of children ran through my mind, like the pathways they made as they play.

Leo took my hand and squeezed it tight. His eyes like hazelnuts infused with limes, as if they were the forest floor and the gentle flowers, somewhere to rest and breathe. Encapsulating, the sunshine swallowed us whole. And all the while there's a buzz from the hive, a communal chorus surfacing above, from the hexagons of wax.

"They sound the same. They look similar. But just like with people, it's what's on the inside that counts."

• July 5, 2020 - 3:51pm (Now Viewing)