purplepanache

United Arab Emirates

to love or to not love

avatar: self portrait as a tehuana by frida kahlo

#giveusbackourwords
(riley, you go girl!)

when i'm done with school i'll cut off all my hair and dye it green and wear only late-victorian stuff.

nolite te bastardes carborundorum

fear baking/panic bread

18

usually, it snakes just behind my navel,
an innocuous sludge of egg, flour
//that a french peasant once songed in his heart//
coffined in muscles,
crooned in cleaves.

but today, it shadows me to the sink(brink?).
having been exacted to a consistent knead by late evening,
having crowed to my throat last night.
a yeasted height, rising through my ribs,
lumping out of eyes.
melting like white feathers, hearsed into baskets(caskets?)
peely boned.
freshly dead.
my fears have been tabled, dinner fed.

very raw, fresh out of my notebook. would love some feedback tho.

• July 7, 2020 - 9:02am (Now Viewing)

• Dmoral

would love to have tea with your muses tho.

• aosora

replying: okay no cap, but ansar mall sweetcorns were the best omfggg like the BEST.

i didn't shoplift shawarmas, but i shoplifted other things lmao

• spurtsofdarkness

Replying: my god i love you so much, i was worried sick about that one, but now that you like it, i’m satisfied. your comments and appreciations are like, the highest level of approval i need. and yup, i’ll link them fs in the final draft. <3333333

• spurtsofdarkness

replying: when i first saw your account, i was so overwhelmed, that i literally looked up EVERYTHING on here, and that included frida and diego, and so to me, it is you who introduced me to frida *shrugs* you're the jake to my boyle (b99 reference, i hope you get it)

• spurtsofdarkness

So, for the letter writing competition, i wanted to write a letter to female icon, and well, who better than frida kahlo, who told dirty jokes at bars, won tequila challenges, and dressed as men in family portraits, right? But well, i was introduced to her indirectly through you, and so it’s basically your thing. So do you think you’ll be ok with me doing that? I don’t wanna steal your thing, if that makes sense

• spurtsofdarkness

Replying: noice, imma give you a follow there, i’m on it as spurtsofdarkness, same pfp. (I hadn’t used that for so long, i just made an account a while back and just left it to die. Anyways, I got back there and posted like 2-3 posts) Also, nothing you make can be crappy :)

• spurtsofdarkness

replying: on Wordpress or ig? I'm not that active on discord

• spurtsofdarkness

Are you on some other social media? or even a writing website like Wordpress?

• black_and_red_ink

Such vivid imagery. Great work.

honestly, your writing style is probably one of my favorites to read. all of your works feel so honest and candid, like there’s nothing to hide, and more of something to experience. i always do a couple rereads of your pieces spaced out just so I can really grasp what I think the “true nature” of the piece is evoking, because that’s how art should be experienced, and your works are just that: art.
    “ usually, it snakes just behind my navel, / an innocuous sludge of egg, flour ” that’s such a vivid line that it makes the reader squirm a bit. ever so lovely, and (as you’ve said) raw! honestly, a bit grotesque, too, but we love that.
    “ a yeasted height, rising through my ribs, / lumping out of eyes. ” this is *bread* but you make it so...whimsical and intense when describing it. like. wow?
    “ freshly dead. / my fears have been tabled, dinner fed. ” ok the rhyming of these last two lines absolutely killed me. in “poets get paid to lie” you also did this, and it’s an absolute show-stopper, if that makes any sense whatsoever. idk what really gets me about it that much, but it feels like a neat and powerful wrap-up to the piece? gosh. i’m never gonna stop admiring your work <3

• mia_:)

AaAaaaAh! this so so good! i love how you scatter in the words that are commonly used with bread, like 'consistent knead' and i also loved the parentheses and italics use. this is all so creative! i love it! i love the subtle rhyme and rhythm that the piece has too, especially in "peely boned. freshly dead. my fears have been tabled, dinner fed." *cues the applause* purplepanache, you have done it again! this is *chef kiss*

• Eblinn

this is so unique and I like how you added some words between brackets. the question mark gives it something extra too, which fits so well here. outstanding!

• spurtsofdarkness

replying: haha, glad you liked it :)

• PureHeart

This is so unique and very well-written, as always.

• spurtsofdarkness

I wish I could keep reading your pieces continuously, without ever stopping, everlastingly. I never want your pieces to end *sobs*

my eyes hurt from reading in the dark but i'd read this over and over again (which i will do when i'm actually fully conscious tmr morning). your descriptions are so raw, in the way like tearing open raw meat, absolutely godly. the grotesque way you describe bread and it's just... i never knew it could be imagined that way. i'd add this to a playlist if i could; it's so fricking good. rereading this tmr and although the authentic experience will have faded then, it'll still be absolutely glorious.
    *i'd write a peer review but this is so slight that i'm not going to bother (and the time i'm awake rn is no joke so i'll sound like an idiot either way). i adore the rhyming bits at the ends of some lines, but if you ever think the parentheses feel too 'dismissive', em dashes work just as fine!
    <33333 this is so damn good.

• happygiggles

I really like this, it's extremely well written and the amount of commas and full stops that have been added in causing the reader to pause is just perfect! (: