elliem

Apparently, I'm 17
Come to my feed for free hugs :)
Somebody run through castle ruins at midnight with me

Acting
Dancing
Singing
Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
Petrichor
Soft girl/Dark academia mix
Virgo
ENFJ

WtW pixie

I'm saddened that WtW admins are limiting posts to fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. I hope that they recognize this change makes us genuinely upset and that the sense of community is greatly lost due to this change. I don't mean to be disrespectful to the admins, but it's time to #giveusourwordsback.

Have a good day, evening, afternoon, or night. <3

puzzled daughter of canada #childofyournation

9
    i am the child of seasonal rain / of breezy summer nights and shadowy winter dawns / of the fingertips trailing through dark waves / spotted with bioluminescence / like chartreuse suns / of the white puffs of breath in cold air / and crunching boots through snow / of bike rides across pavement / wind kissing my cheeks / of hemlock trees and overgrown forest vines / of woods deep enough to get lost in / of yellow warning signs of coyotes and wolves / of coming across a deer on a walk / and waving my hand as I pass it by / of distant indigo mountains / splashed with snowy tops / of kayaking through rippling waves / and saltwater spray on my lashes

i am the little girl of city streetlights / blocking out the night sky / of the fingertips trailing across spines of books / of biblichor and busy libraries / of crowded transit / of streets flowing with bodies / and my head tucked deep into my hood / my hand in my mother's / of late nights at the studio / and trying to remember the choreography later / of holiday rush / and morning traffic / waiting for my bus / of standing in line for a drink at the café / of walks in the park / and investigating sale racks at the mall / a fashionable detective / of "you better not walk home alone in the dark" / of the university kids across the street / and going to the seashore for a moment

i am the daughter of european ancestors / of my family crest stamped as a back tattoo / of fingertips trailing across a dusty map / of the ruthless Campbell clan / who invited their enemies over to dinner / their smiles glinting as brightly / as the daggers under the table / leading the famous massacre of glencoe / of the irish lord banned from scotland / and world war two in britain and poland / yet nationality defeats heritage / and i am only puzzled / of hearing my ancestors' stories by campfire / of wondering about life in the history books

i am the baby born from the "u" in "favourite" / which our american neighbours forget / of fingertips trailing through morning dew / and drowsy sunshine/ of the dreams in my head / and the scrapes on my knees/ and the stars in my eyes / of car ton bras sait porter l'ée / and not knowing when to switch the national anthem / from english to french and back again / of car rides to school / and saltwater air / of water balloon fights / of trees sprouting from the sidewalks / and dancing in rainwater / with a smile on my face / of orange No. 2 pencils / and eccentric english teachers / of navy blazers and plaid uniform skirts / of a pearly flag emblazoned with our scarlet maple leaf / of early mornings / the sky still carpeted with stars / and school days / warching the distant mountains / across a vast ocean / of smiles

1. The first stanza is about the bright, vivid parts of Canada and its wilderness
  2. The second stanza is about the "city" side of Canada
  3. The third stanza talks about my other ancestral history (morbid, huh?) and how those stories are my heritage but Canada is much closer to my heart
  4. The fourth stanza is about my childhood and school and how Canada affected it
  I know my heritage isn't too cool, so I'm sorry about that. :( I know for sure that I am mainly of Irish, Scottish, and Polish origin, although I also have German blood and possibly British blood but I don't know for sure. I also have other ancestry I can't think of right now, but basically, I just descend from a lot of places in Europe.

If you didn't already know, this is a #childofyournation challenge post. The original was "elegant daughter of asia" by the incredibly talented sunny.v, so please make sure to check hers out! I can promise you, it's definitely more put-together and well-written than mine. (I'm not trying to put myself down or anything; I just mean to say that Sunny's is so stunning, it's beyond compare.) It's so, so gorgeous.

Otherwise, have a good day/night! <3

• July 14, 2020 - 1:59am (Now Viewing)

• Eblinn

when I tell you I had a smile on my face the whole time I read this. this is stunning! I can imagine all the little things you described and it made me feel like I was in those woods and like I felt the books touching my hands.
    "of a pearly flag emblazoned with our scarlet maple leaf /"
    I just love everything about this piece. So beautiful <3

had this thing bookmarked for far too long and can i just say that your descriptions are so beautiful and vivid? like, that first section i was just blown away by the imagery of snow and "chartreuse suns" like wHAT that's just fricking delicious. as someone who lives were snow isn't commonplace, i might have to come back to that every time the weather report says it might snow but it doesn't. but yeah, this whole thing was just... so familiar yet unfamiliar at the same time? like stepping into a different world (helped by your brilliant imagery ofc ;)) like i can't say enough bc reading this piece was like a york bar and it just transported me to every location you mentioned. your heritage is totally cool! i loved reading abt it!
    "i am the baby born from the "u" in "favourite" / which our american neighbours forget" i see i see ;) adore this <3333

wow this is beautiful. Really amazing imagery that made me want to sink into the poem.
    "i am the baby born from the "u" in "favourite" / which our american neighbours forget /" ooh that's so smart and I feel you and just an amazing line.:)<3

Also, I just realized the irony of outoftheblue's comment. The admins created these guidelines to encourage more writing, but now the regular writing is being swallowed by us learning how to protest through the written word.

"i am the baby born from the "u" in "favourite" / which our american neighbours forget /" Oooohh you went there!! Grammarly is going nuts over your spelling haha. In all seriousness though, this is truly amazing.

"of biblichor and busy libraries / of crowded transit / of streets flowing with bodies /" I LOVE LOVE LOVE the subtle transitions between themes and settings here! Hope this doesn't get lost in the sea of protest pieces on the dashboard.
    (Ps: is biblichor a real word? sounds like petrichor. ^u^)