sunny.v

she/her | asian
wtw community’s official older sister
running off into the sunset with circe
est. april 27, 2020

swordwielding protector of all minority groups
satire sorceress, lady knight

she clasps peonies, allure, & love

happy Independence Day stay safe y’all. take my disclaimer seriously but if you take me, sunny the monster creature who yells a lot, seriously...that’s on you xoxo

also it’s my dad’s legal (not actual) birthday today so LOLLL the irony

a patriot on the fourth of july

32

i’ve always had a thing for pretty little lies
and dear Lord, ever since i’ve been born, i’ve been infatuated with the fourth of july

because i bleed red, white, and blue, yes sir i do
but God forbid i bleed black, brown, or yellow
because it’s from sea to shining sea until it
extends to the countries of distant seas and then it turns into
oil greed and apathy and not a shred of basic humanity

because every explosive firework shower sounds like “speak English” and “go back to where you came from”
and the sizzle of the hotdogs on the grill sounds like last saturday’s slurs
because the downtown parade’s marching band sounds like a war drum of skewed history textbooks
and the national anthem from my neighbor’s backyard sounds like a too-little-too-late funeral song

because we are independent, yes we are but for some reason
we needed the indigenous nations’ land and the indigenous people’s help to fight the war that got us here
because we are real americans, yes we are but it’s a new type of funny (as in,
not funny at all) that the real americans are the ones the government is sticking oil pipelines into and building cities upon their sacred burial grounds

because i am a patriot, believe it or not, but a patriot means looking at stars
and stripes and remembering what led up to these family barbecues and firecrackers
because a patriot means accountability and responsibility and remembrance and
not just acceptance, but demanding what real justice should’ve looked like since the beginning
because a patriot means loving what our country should stand for (the sweat and tears of an immigrant’s new life) and not what it stands on top of (looted and pillaged and blood-money land)

because i am a patriot, believe it or not, and i firmly believe the revolution was bloody and came with sacrifice that those founding fathers must have realized would last for centuries upon centuries
because, come to think of it: i realize the same thing, even now, that a revolution takes a sacrifice from the youth

happy fourth of july.
-when you really love someone and care for them you’ll want them to do better and call them out for their mistakes so hello america happy birthday and do better you little hypocritical bloody [redacted]
-y’all knew this was coming from me let’s be honest LOL anyways for legal reasons this is a disclaimer that i’m not raining on anyone’s party go enjoy your firecrackers and hamburgers on that grill luv. here’s to the revolution and satire. and here’s an actual happy july 4th from me i suppose?

• July 6, 2020 - 10:11pm (Now Viewing)

• Dmoral

your opening HAD ME oh my goodness, that flow!! but this already has so many comments i feel like me reiterating would be pointless, so imma focus on a piece with less feedback. but just know, this is breathtaking!

Replying: Yep, hehe that part was confusing for me too. "so a temperament is more of a permanent natural state than a personality?" Yeah that's it you honestly said it better than I did lol. Another fun fact: In my family of four, we each represent one of the types.

Oh, one thing about melancholies: A big weakness of theirs is their tendency to take everything personally because they think through most everything they say and assume others do that as well.

Replying: So a temperament type is different than just your personality because your personality can change and is based on your surroundings, while your temperament is something you're born with (if I remember correctly). There is the possibility of shifting types as a sort of coping mechanism, but you still have the other type. I won't go on a tangent about that, though.

The popular sanguine tends to be friendly, excitable, verbal, and very fun-oriented. They can be a bit easily distracted but are generally well-liked. Their emotions are constantly fluctuating throughout the day.

If that doesn't completely sound like you, that's okay, because everyone has a few characteristics of the other types, and some are almost evenly split between two types (cough cough *me*).

The opposite type of sanguine is the perfect melancholy. They are extreme perfectionists, detail-oriented, somewhat serious. They're emotional in a different way than sanguines, meaning they stay way up high, but other times have a huge cloud over their head, without changing between the two as frequently as the sanguine.

Fun fact: I am melancholic, but that just barely beats out sanguine, so I have the two most emotional types battling it out inside of me all the time XD.

Another temperament type is the powerful choleric. Cholerics are the leaders and achievers of life. They are extremely determined (and stubborn), and if there is a goal to be met, they will always do everything possible to achieve it. They love to fix dilemmas/crises. Their biggest weakness is their tendency to sometimes step on people's emotions when they're focused.

The choleric's opposite is the peaceful phlegmatic. Sometimes the least emotional of the types, phlegmatics just want life to be calm. They don't have a lot of strong feelings about specific things and can procrastinate due to an occasional lack of motivation. They are exceptionally good peacemakers and are very well-liked because they're wonderful at being impartial and careful with others' feelings.

Wow, that was a lot!! Sorry, I really love the temperament types, and it's my favorite book we read in that class (although love languages was a close second, followed by the birth order book... I'm rambling again...). Anyway, I hope that helped!

So I saw a comment of yours wondering what sanguine meant. I read a whole book on the four temperaments for a class, so if you still need help, I'd be glad to give you a quick overview.

• sophiethesinger

Best thing I’ve read in a while!! Your writing style is ABSOLUTELY amazing!!!

• Wicked!

Brilliantly written, as always. I love the third stanza so freaking much. These stupid ass politicians really can't differentiate between nationalism and patriotism huh smh.

• inanutshell

a little late but ok ngl saw this on your ig and logged on to read it proper. bc 'it’s from sea to shining sea until it/extends to the countries of distant seas and then it turns into/oil greed and apathy and not a shred of basic humanity' grabbed me by my neck and told me to read this over and over... i'm not American but i definitely understand and support your version of patriotism. amazing piece as usual.

• mia_:)

replying: thanks for the luck! *tucks it into my pocket for later* yeah, now the issue is choosing which of my children get the spotlight! as for my #appreciationpost, i'm stuck on the d's (doing mine in alphabetical order) because i have a very short attention span and keep wanting to add more people and i'm trying to link my favorites of their pieces which turns out to be a tad ambitious for my busy, hectic life. so, that will probably come in like four months (not an exaggeration lol) :) our fireworks were good. we had a few friends over and we social distanced in the driveway while lighting them! i agree with you on the fact that fireworks are kinda scary lol *hugs you* but we can comfort each other. :)

• mia_:)

replying: i love the adjustment to your bio! also, those hershey things are my favorite! they're called pop-its, i think? we had some fireworks in our driveway and our neighbor rode a lawnmower over to watch (he's 89 and is the most adorable person ever!). how did your fireworks turn out? ily!!! *hugs hugs hugs mwah* <3

• happygiggles

replying- Thank you so much for your comment, it made me smile! Also, although I don't know an awful lot about American history, I really enjoyed reading this piece, well done! (:

lovely as always, gremlin. i love the mention of the Indians as well, they're the ones who're actually the real americans. it makes it feel melancholy and haunting somewhat.
    'because we are real americans, yes we are but it’s a new type of funny (as in,
    not funny at all) that the real americans are the ones the government is sticking oil pipelines into and building cities upon their sacred burial grounds' God, this gave me chills. lovey lovely lovely writing hun.
    also, on a side note, i absolutely adore fireworks!! here they only have them by the beaches and they send them from a boat. it's really cosy.

• asta

"because we are real americans, yes we are but it’s a new type of funny (as in,
    not funny at all) that the real americans are the ones the government is sticking oil pipelines into and building cities upon their sacred burial grounds"--this is so, so good. the anger, the disappointment, the grit, it's just. wow. stay safe, love <3

• curiouser

I honestly do love what you've written here! I really like the line "because a patriot means accountability and responsibility and remembrance and
    not just acceptance". I will admit to being a bit silent on political matters, not because of indifference, but because I generally feel spoken for by stronger, more passionate voices- but this poem honestly brought up the indignant injustice warrior in me. Good job! I'm new to this community but I look forward to hearing more from you :) followed

• bellairet

Wow, I love this! It's the best definition of patriotism. Happy 4th!

• books4life

YOU ARE A QUEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNN!

that is all.

• mia_:)

replying: lol if a watermelon were dog shaped i would feel terrible cutting it up! yeah, kids are adorable! this is my second year at camp and it's very different because of covid-19. we have to run around outside in masks all day and it gets so hot! the amusement park sounds so fun! we just bought a few sparklers and little fireworks and our neighbors are going to come over and light them. i told my dad that i think that fireworks are kinda dumb, but he bought a ton anyway lol :)

• mia_:)

also, i agree with chrys. you are a satire queen and thank you for mentioning the indigenous people! :)

• mia_:)

this is fabulous! no need to be nervous, darling; this deserves to be printed on all fourth of july napkins and so much more! "and the sizzle of the hotdogs on the grill sounds like last saturday’s slurs." this line hit me so hard! i hate that people face this kind of intolerance on a daily basis! sunny, you are a beautiful writer and this is a beautiful piece! great job, love! <3<3<3 (btw i'm listening to hamilton rn :D) happy fourth!

• erin!

so, so good. you have rendered me speechless. maybe not the happiest 4th this year, but i sure hope it's the most change-provoking.

"because a patriot means accountability and responsibility and remembrance and
    not just acceptance, but demanding what real justice should’ve looked like since the beginning" YES. YES YES YES!
    woohoo our queen back with satire (?).
    and thank you for mentioning the indigenous peoples whom we stole from, the ones that made the most sacrifices.
    i love your view on independence day (that whole 5th stanza) and wow. and those ending lines and last stanza... whoa. this whole piece was chock full of stuff that needed to be said, thank you. love this <33333

I agree with this piece. You worded it perfectly, love it!

• elliem

YES SUNNY. This is a point that needs to be expressed more when speaking about the fourth of july and Canada Day. Especially right now. It's not a time to get wrapped up in celebrating a country when it means forgetting everything else happening in the world right now. :( Thank you for this piece; it's well written and packs a punch.

• poetri

not funny at all) that the real americans are the ones the government is sticking oil pipelines into and building cities upon their sacred burial grounds"
    um sunny dear you need a medal for this one. i agree with everything you said and if we knew each other irl you're the first person i'd call to come burn down the trump truck and my other neighbor's confederate flag...oof this fourth of july makes me one big melting pot of angry.
    anywayyyy love this piece and it's hopeful-ish emotion and mmm darling everything you post is so lovely, but this one takes the cake <3