Vicarious

She/her/13/Artist/Sesquipedalianist/Logophile
Christian/Pianist/Introvert/INTJ-T/Nerd/
|Horror-Enthusiast|
|Bibliophile|
|Future Supreme-Court Justice|

ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʟᴀʏɪɴɢ

[ Queen- Another One Bites the Dust ]

1:03 ━━━━◉─────── 3:42

◃ ⅠⅠ ▹

✦ SARS article:
https://genzcollaborative.wixsite.com/genzcollaborative/post/sars-why-is-this-notorious-police-unit-the-center-of-protest-in-nigeria
✦ Global Issues Overview:
https://www.un.org/en/sections/issues-depth/global-issues-overview/
✦ Current Book Read: On the Come Up-Angie Thomas
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lit. Magazines I've starred in:
Cathartic Literary Magazine- "Exoskeleton"
Ice Lolly Review- "I flew like Icarus"
Elysian Muse- "Land of Tragedy"
InterStellar Literary Review- "Dear Body"
Gen Z Collaborative: SARS

My Traditional Name

PROMPT: Dust Jacket

5
Nana Yaa Adom Opare-Addo...
P
ronounciation: (NUN-Nah) (Y-ah) (Ah-dome) (Oh-pah-re) (Ah-dough)

I know what you're probably thinking: "Wow, that's a pretty long name" or "Wow, that's a pretty uncommon name."
And...I'm not going to argue. In fact, I COMPLETELY agree hence why I was so compelled to write this prompt. My full name is derived from both traditional meanings & a long line of ancestors so I'm not going to hesitate to share them!

I was born in the U.S. Both of my parents were born in Accra, Ghana. (located in West Africa) They decided to immigrate to the U.S so my siblings and I could have a better access to education...however...that didn't stop them from practicing their Ghanaian customs. Apart from eating a variety of Ghanaian foods, speaking "twi," (Ghanaian dialect) and listening to Ghanaian music, they also managed to give my siblings and I traditional Ghanaian names.

Nana Yaa. If you're wondering where the first part of my name came to be, well, it's fairly simple. "Nana" is an extremely common name in Ghana. It is used for both girls & boys. In other words: It's the least significant part of my name."Yaa" on the other hand is the traditional Ghanaian name for a girl who is born on a Thursday. I come from a very religious family so the middle part of my name, "Adom," means "God's blessing." "Opare-Addo" is my father's last name which I inherited. I'm not completely sure what "Opare" means but I know "Addo" means "king of the road."

Growing up...I DESPISED my name. In school we were told to wear uniforms that plastered our name on the side and I vividly remember constantly trying to hide the part of the uniform where my name was visible. Of course this "mechanism" didn't work, so I told everyone to just call me "Nana." This didn't stop the purposeful butchering of my name though. "Adam," "Atom," "O-pear," "Nana-Banana." (These were just a few of the many names people dubbed me as.)

As I've grown, I've learned to embrace my Ghanaian roots & my unique name. Students have also stopped butchering my name & most of them have just stuck to "Nana." Although I've adopted a nom de plume (Vicarious), I thought it'd still be very entertaining to share where my actual name derived from and the struggles I've had with it.

• July 3, 2020 - 12:17pm (Now Viewing)

• Busssy.Beee

Wow, you're name and culture is so unique. I can relate to the name part, I have a unique name too. The details you give are also amazing!

This is such a cool name! I love all the background you give to it; it's really fascinating finding the meaning to it that you describe so specifically.

• Doodleninja

I learned so much about Ghanaian culture from reading this, so thank you! And I love all the meanings behind your name :D