Anne Blackwood

17
Poet
Singer
Theatre kid
Twin
Disabled (chronically ill)
Suspected autistic
ADHD
Highly Sensitive Person
XXFJ, Melancholic-Sanguine, ambivert

Joined 1/16/20

This isn't my best work, but I thought it might be relatable to some people.

"Almost 16"

32

I don't think I really want to turn 16
14 felt too young, 16 holds the weight of the unknown
But 15 is as comfortable as any age can be
I feel like I'm allowed to be naive and romantic
Without the pressure to grow up and be fiercer than I am

I've never felt different after each birthday
Age has always been nothing more than a number
Even when it meant elementary bragging rights of "I'm older than you!"
Some part of me still remembered its insignificance

Nver have I been so unsettled by the future me
I'm sure that I'll look back on myself and laugh
Sweet 16 can still include sweet me
But I'm still 15 and naive, remember?

• July 3, 2020 - 10:15pm (Now Viewing)

Agh. Still fourteen. But honestly, I was so excited for my thirteenth birthday, but on the actual day, I was kinda depressed. I don't want to turn fifteen, fourteen is a good number.

• Cressida

I definitely relate to this poem as I'm in a similar situation. There's a certain quality to 16 that just reminds you that you're growing older, and there seems to be more pressure on you around that age?
    As for the poem, it perfectly captures that almost uneasy feeling surrounding turning 16 (at least for me).

• Tushar Mandhan

I agree with Ahsan Nizaam. Your brain releases same hormones when you tell someone your plans as it would when you execute those plans, so the fire gets less.....(*you know what i mean*). And yeah judging, well in my case everyone does.

• Ahsan Nizaam

i sincerely get you and a single pro tip. Never tell someone about your future plans and goals. Thinking back 'Almost 16' Good old days.

• happygiggles

Growing up is messy and slightly terrifying, but you'll get through it, everything works out in the end, you got this! (:

I can relate to this! It was so terrifying turning sixteen because of driving and getting closer to college!
    Replying: yeah, I've never seen Priceless but I want to!

• Anlee

ahhh this is relatable...i still half ~half a year left of being a comfortable 15 year old :(
    replying: thank you for telling me that haha i've been enlightened

• inanutshell

oooh. 16 is def a milestone, but no matter how scary it can feel, growing older can be a good thing! in the US i think you can drive at that age? (assuming you want to) altho 16 is a big step up from 15, i personally feel like 16-18 is that age where you truly start to figure out yourself and life in general. it's scary but worth it in the end. i'm almost 19 now and when i was 15 i never thought i would be glad to be older! but honestly i'm glad to not be so naive anymore - it only hurt me to keep holding on to my innocence in the end. bit of an overshare here from me but i do wish you all the best with turning 16! at least you'll be able to say you survived turning 16 here on wtw ;)

"I've never felt different after each birthday" same. I feel the same. I don't even care about my birthday anymore, it is just like a regular day to me. This is a great piece!

(I know I shouldn't be asking this but) I know you're a theater kid, so is it okay if you give me some tips for writing a musical/play? That would be great if you could, you don't have to though.

Overall, great piece!

• the little penguin

Omg I lovveee this!!! I am turning 15 in a couple of months ahah (nobody needs to know that but anyways) This is just aweeesomeee!

• A Certain Type of Decisive

This is such a mood- there's like the "good" ages and the "weird" ages and they're different for people depending on stuff like where they live and their older siblings, but I think 16 is a big one for everyone because of driving. Growing up is weird to process- good job conveying that feeling.

• Eblinn

Omg, I was literally thinking about this since my birthday is coming closer and closer and aaaah I feel like 16 is such a big deal but it's not really when you think about it??

• elliem

YEP YEP YEP YEP ME WHEN I WAS TURNING SIXTEEN. I LITERALLY CRIED. I STILL WANT TO BE FIFTEEN. Somehow I'm not as upset about turning seventeen though? Maybe it's because when you turn seventeen, you automatically become the dancing queen. (Or if you're a Heathers the Musical fan, you get to sing a slightly-creepy-but-also-sweet duet with J.D. and sing some k i l l e r harmonies.) But when you're sixteen, the only song you get is a sexist one from The Sound of Music about needing protection from an "older and stronger man". *eye roll*. This turned out to be a much more negative comment that I was planning (and much more musical-theatre-nerd-y), so don't feel bummed by this. Honestly, turning sixteen was a big milestone for me and much better than I thought it would be. Don't feel too disheartened; after all, when you turn sixteen, we'll be the same age for almost a month! And you'll be able to confidently say you're a surviving WtW 16 year old (bc they're very rare creatures). Best of wishes and I know 16 will be great for you. <3 :)

• sci-Fi

I get this. Twelve felt too young, fourteen feels too unknown, but thirteen is just right for me

ohh, i turn 16 after ten days, but still, i feel completely the same. '
    Age has always been nothing more than a number' this is so true!
    early congratulations on surviving yet another 365 days, you :))

• Samina

sorry but reasking DO YOU HAVE A TWIN?

replying: ikr? 16 feels too mature...feels like there’s too much responsibility to it T^T i just wanna stay 15 and a little idiot...LOL

aaaack totally relatable to someone who’s turning 16 about a month or so after you LOLOL i’m so terrified of 16 honestly? i feel like 15 is just a better age bc u can still be considered young but be held to a level of maturity? and 16 just seems so old *snores* but anyways yessss totally related to this. and also LOL my theory that all 16 year olds will be kidnapped by wtw somehow...;) ;)

• Samina

Oh, then high five :p. I'm also a few months (almost 6 ) near to being 16. Btw one question I had from a lot of days: Do you have. twin? And what's it likes being a twin. (Please reply on any of my previous streak piece )

Replying: Oh, well in that case, Happy really early Bday! XD

Okay, it looks like I should have made it clearer; I have a few months left before my birthday, but I'm a lot closer to being 16 than my brain can compute, hence the poem.

Yeah, I know how you feel. Everytime my birthday comes, I'm like, "Yay, I have to be more responsible than the year before!" Whelp, have a wonderful B-day! Turning 16 may not be as bad as you think!

fifteen turning sixteen was my best year (except for the last few months of it--cause my bday is in winter so how do you figure out a "year") anyway i totally get what you feel like. i dont like birthdays and all the attention...as i got older bday didn't mean all that much which is sad. hold onto the excitement as long as you can. and if it is your bday~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

• Samina

I'm feeling that 15 age is perfect and I should enjoy my few months XD. This piece captures the confused mind of a teenager. Btw is it really your birthday? Then Happy Birthday Anne. *hugs* :)