mx. pride

they/them (agenderflux/librafluid)
abrosexual (androsexual, asexual, graysexual)

i have shortened the full acronym of LGBTQIAP+ to LGBTQ in the writing because i felt like it disrupted the flow to have all of the letters and a "+" many times in the writing. i DO UNDERSTAND that LGBTQ is not the entire acronym.

if you live in antigua and barbuda and have a differing opinion, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
i have done all the research i can, but of course, living somewhere is entirely different from researching it.
i have fact-checked all of the things i've said here, but some things are my opinion, so please do not hesitate to correct me.

antigua and barbuda.

5
    LGBTQ people have no protections from harrassment or discrimination in Antigua and Barbuda. LGBTQ people that live in this country can expect homophobic slurs on the regular. Much of the police force believe that LGBTQ people deserve to be locked up, which can cause a fear of cops in general for LGBTQ people. 

Same-sex couples simply are not recognized, be they married (in a different country, of course) or a couple. 

Although enforcement has somewhat loosened, Antigua and Barbuda does have laws in place criminalizing same-sex acts. Same-sex acts can result in up to 15 years in prison. 

There are two sections of the Sexual Offences Act, 1995 that are relevant when it comes to same-sex activity: Section 12 and Section 15. 

Section 12. (1) A person who commits buggery is guilty of an offence and is liable on conviction to imprisonment -

(a) for life, if committed by an adult on a minor;
    (b) for fifteen years, if committed by an adult on another adult;
    (c) for five years, if committed by a minor.

(2) In this section "buggery" means sexual intercourse per anum by a male person with a male person...

Section 15. (1) A person who commits an act of serious indecency on or towards another is guilty of an offence and is liable on conviction to imprisonment -

(a) for ten years, if committed on or towards a minor under sixteen years of age;
    (b) for five years, if committed an or towards a person sixteen years of age of more....

Repeat offenders of 'buggery' are placed on the Sex Offenders Registry for life.

In May, 2016, representatives from Argentina, Australia, France, Germany, the Netherlands and Nicaragua advised Antigua and Barbuda's government to repeal anti-LGBTQ laws to guarantee human rights to LGBTQ citizens. 
    In August, 2016, the government of Antigua and Barbuda announced that they would not repeal anti-LGBTQ laws. 

Because these anti-buggery laws are often not enforced in Antigua and Barbuda, it may seem like that is enough. But it is not enough. As long as there are laws prohibiting same-sex activities, it is still clearly not equal. The existence of these laws cause fear among LGBTQ people. Fear of the police. Fear of the government. Fear of what may happen to them. 

The goal is to be able to live in true harmony, where everybody has equal rights. But clearly, in this country, this is not yet the case. 

• July 3, 2020 - 1:55am (Now Viewing)

• .amelia.

wow... learnt something! :)
    a similar law is applied here in Singapore too...though it was contested

• Busssy.Beee

Thanks for the sources! :)