avoiding the big bang

writes abt: books, cats, and self-deprecation
anti -isms and -phobias

my writing is obscure and not very readable. have fun.

Business Negotiations

16
    My mom is afraid of going to the carwash.  Our old van sat around for over a year collecting dust and pollen and bird poop and rainwater gunk.  If you opened the passenger side door your hand would turn toffee-brown.  The windshield sagged under a vignette of old who-knew-what.
    She asked me to scrub down the car with a hose and a sponge on hands and knees.  I was indignant until she offered payment.
    “How much?”
    “How about you make an offer and I’ll tell you whether or not I accept it?”
    I thought for a while.  My lips worked uncertainly around heavy numbers.  “Ten dollars?”
    “You can go as high as you want, you know.”
    “… Fifteen dollars?”  That felt unfair.  “Thirteen dollars?  Twelve dollars?  I don't know.  Ten is fine.”
    The job sat around not being done.  Two weeks later Mom approached me again.
    “Fifty dollars if you do it on Thursday.”
    I did it on Thursday.

1

Replying: no, I thought I said on Prose that WTW deleted my account for me?

• erin!

replying: hey! i took down "a story about change" because i wasn't the happiest with it but the fact that you liked it so much has me considering republishing it!

• erin!

replying: i'm so glad you also hate olives! as for the piece, my brother once paid me 80(!) dollars to capture a spider that was lurking in his room. i don't love bugs, but you best believe i became an exterminator that day.

• books4life

Love! Hahahaha totally relate :)

Great piece!

• Spade

I don't know if I'd wash the car, even for fifty bucks. I hate cleaning. My parents offered to pay me for cleaning around the house (and that's in ac) but I don't (unless they threaten me with electronics).

• ineffable

I really enjoyed your narrative voice in this. It's fresh and makes me wanna read more.

• Busssy.Beee

It's hilarious how money drives our actions... I'm the same.