aosora

United Arab Emirates

meet me there someday

don't swallow gold. i have two tablespoons of sorrow.

claw / vending machine

17

plump, puffy toddler fingers squishing small animals flat. inherent cruelty runs amok in cold blood, the struggle in thin necks when strangulation is far too enticing. they say children are lovely, or evil, and i was both, satan's little toe stubbed on nondescript pieces of furniture; here, carve your initials into the refrigerator's door; here, drop a glass bottle on a passer-by's glistening skull; here, stuff the stomach until gluttony smiles between folds of exposed skin. the world is a claw machine and i am stuck between metal fangs, one brown animal starving for touch, taste. there is crushed toffee in my pocket and i eat the wrapping paper instead.

i was too colossal for this world. i was the stuffed toy smiling, mute on your mantelpiece.

~

so much numbness breaks in waves; old bones creaking under the weight of hollow tongues. today speaks to me of banal mediocrity, three dirhams strangled between hot fingers, the strange way vending machines stand tall and imposing. my forehead touches the cool glass. i think too little of this empty joy, the jangling of a beloved eatable on its way out of plastic prison. i slip between those cracks, vending machine daydreams, silver shells pressed into dented slits and the apathetic way black wires spiral endlessly. the coffee can falls. 

i was away like a nightmare. did you feel the sunlight too?

• July 31, 2020 - 4:09am (Now Viewing)

i liked this piece before i even started reading because i knew that it was going to be incredible no matter what it was. agh every day i wish i was more eloquent with my comments, i have no ways to express what an amazing writer you are and how much i hope to be able to write like this one day. truly fantastic work!

• inanutshell

"the world is a claw machine and i am stuck between metal fangs" what a mooood

also your descriptions here are so unlike anything i've ever seen before, "i think too little of this empty joy, the jangling of a beloved eatable on its way out of plastic prison", truly unique & absolutely brilliant

truly a pleasure to see you again :). the way you write prose is so piquant and enticing. i can never get enough of the vaguely melancholic feeling that permeates your pieces. "there is crushed toffee in my pocket and i eat the wrapping paper instead." i love these sort of odd phrases that do so well for expressing the main themes of this piece. it's really just eloquent and clean in a way that it's so deeply personal yet so distant. the tone in this is magnificent and god, this is just so so good. this vague sense of longing and nostalgia... i really can't say enough about this brilliant piece. i'll be back to reread, so i'll see you around! <33333 but like asdkfjhaslkdj this is so fricking good.

“ the jangling of a beloved eatable on its way out of plastic prison. i slip between those cracks, vending machine daydreams, silver shells pressed into dented slits and the apathetic way black wires spiral endlessly. ” i’m super unqualified to compliment this properly (yes I know that’s the oldest overused excuse, but it’s really, really true) but your writing never ceases to be some of the best on the site ;-;. lovely, lovely work! <3