naomi ling

est. 6/14/20

am i relatable??? probably not but it's all good

q&a answers! | #askthewriter

22
a few ago i posted a thank-you and q&a for 50, and i received so many lovely questions! here's my attempt to wade thru them all and also give mini shout-outs to everyone who asked. also i'm not funny, but i try. *finger dragon dances* 

mia_:) (such a sweetheart, go check her out!) 
what is your take on love at first sight? never been in a relationship before, so i don't know much abt love. (although i suppose you can be in a relationship w/o love?) i like to perceive love as more of a slow burn, but i guess time will tell. *breakdances nervously* 

do you like to sing? yeah! i've been in all-state choir for the past two years and other choirs. also private lessons. much luv for vocal chords <333

why do you write? why should anyone write? i know this is so cliche, but i think poetry/prose (and the arts in general) is a huge outlet for expressing feelings. and i love how WTW is a sort of escape from the real world. although pieces on current events are vv important as well! i love how we can use writing for persuasion or to educate others on a topic, especially in these circumstances. 

how did you stumble upon WTW? i giggle a little every time i think abt this. i was literally googling a girl whose poetry appeared in the scholastic art & writing awards as well because i loved her piece, and she happened to also win a WTW comp. thus i made an acc :")) 

any bucket list items? probably skydiving! my friend group and i want to link arms and go down together in a circle (yk what i mean? me neither) also visiting bora bora, greece, france, japan... 

quirks? i'm an only child.... is that strange? idk i only know two other only children that are around my age atm 

funniest/strangest thing that's happened to you in quarantine? around the twentieth week of quarantine, i talked to my bedroom wall. i swear it talked right back 

Anha (such an ethereal and refreshing presence on WTW. i tiptoe around her like a mouse) 
tell me, why do we write postcards? although snail mail is phasing out, i treat any that i receive like prized possessions. postcards can be used to chronicle travels or reconnect with loved ones. i still have one from my grandpa all the way in our hometown, guangzhou. 

favourite strange or obscure word? include a meaning if it's crazy out there. 'petrichor' (the pleasant smell that accompanies the first rain after a dry spell) is such a lovely word. i haven't gotten around to using it in poetry, but i will sometime *breakdances again* 

what do you want people to say about you most? i don't want to try and achieve fame. rather, i'd like to make specific impressions on my community, for my community service, for random little good things i do for others. 

there is a holy sword hanging on your wall that you found on the street last week. describe it. it's my pen to write poetry. bic blue ballpoint type beat. 

there is something following you on your way home from the bus stop. five steps from your front door, you turn around and face it. what does it look like? it's my lack of sentiment for those that do not share an equal respect for lives and treatment of minorities. *enguard* 

by order of the king from a far away land, you are being put to death. why? i'd like to satisfy my ego and say it's because i stole the prince's heart, but more likely because i unknowingly committed a petty crime. 

and finally: how are you? feeling fantastic because i just read several outstanding pieces on the dashboard :") (grunge palaceno story should be allowed to end like thatmilk, curdled

Anne Blackwood (wonderful friend; beautiful work) 
what's the weirdest dream you've ever had? about two months ago. i was floating on an egg in a malaysian river. 

describe the sky where you're at right now.  a nice azure, puffy clouds (global warming due to quarantine really has improved!)

if you've taken any psychology personality assessments, what were your results? okok i just took the meyers-briggs test and i'm a ENFP-A? (if someone could explain exactly what it is for me that would be super helpful LOLL)

theater or movie dream role?  aaa too many but perhaps elphaba in wicked, cinderella in into the woods, mia in la la land or any female role in les miserables! however i'm short and asian so we'll see abt the chances *raises eyebrows* 

outoftheblue (another phenomenal writer! auhghh) 
favourite trope? coming of age definitely. where the main character grows and learns and finds first, fleeting love. and it wouldn't be complete without those token POC & gay sidekicks (!!!)

favourite WTWers? yet another moment where i wish i could copy&paste all the wonderful WTWers i interact with. unfortunately, my brain is fried (i just worked out) so i'll link you to my previous post where i give mini shout-outs to just a handful of my dear idols/friends. if i forgot to mention you, it is completely on me! you are loved. i see you, and i recognize your talent. feel free to hype yourself up in the comments below :") 

physical appearance? short asian girl. 5'2'3/4. my eyes look a bit more americanized (??) as i have duo eyelids? the gremlin knows what i look like, unfortunately. *freaks out* 

your writing process? i do not recommend this, but i usually will vomit some words i hope flow together out into a draft on WTW and, if i'm feeling particularly bold, post it. editing is an indulgence i rarely allow myself to partake in. 

what's your sense of humour like? quarantine (and, err, tiktok) has warped my humor so much that i will laugh at any distorted or cursed image/sound. there was this clip of tr*mp appearing to swallow a reporter whole. i ugly laughed for days. 

poetri (so fierce and yet sweet! resident defender of all minorities on WTW) 
last movie that made you laugh? last movie that made you cry? both la la land. 

most underrated fashion trend? mom/flare jeans: i hear mom jeans are coming back hard though.

hobbies other than writing? music composition, cross country, singing! 

describe your personality. probably the hypewoman of a group. i get vv hyped easily and yet i like to comfort others too. i saw something that said the loudest person in public places is probably the quietest at home. oh well

inanutshell (one of my WTW role models. older sister vibe) 
fav books? "born a crime" by trevor noah is hilarious yet serious at the same time. also "educated" by tara westover, who was raised in an extreme Mormon family as a child; it tugged at my heart. 

fav songs/artists? anything by joji, lana del ray, tame impala, conan gray, etc. 

what are some foods that hold significant meaning to you? LOLL i wrote abt it in the food comp but -- zheng yu, which is chinese-style steamed fish. i used to despise it, but now? it's not so bad. 

sunny.v (the gremlin herself. intimidating at first, but don't let that scare you away from her pieces) 
what’s a writing style you particularly like? yours :") i'm SERIOUS also i love when writers use bodily phrases like "i eat sorrow" or "scratch bitterness out of eyelids" they're so... chilling? 

what’s your favorite topic/subject to read about on here? coming of age, vignettes, portraits, and current events. please don't be afraid to write abt messier topics (with TW's, of course)! 

if you could blend some people’s writing style (on wtw or just in general) to make your personally favored style, who’d you blend? sunny's imagery; chrys' chilling phrases; inanutshell's flowy stanzas; anoushka's beautiful way of handling sensitive topics; jun lei's gorgeous prose... i could go on and on. 

what cliche character trope are you? possibly the token POC, or even the underdog who says a one-liner at the end *finger dances again* 

how’re you so awesome? ouuu. i'm not.

Stone of Jade (another lovely WTWer) 
do you like writing fiction/fantasy or poetry? poetry for sure. i find myself struggling with plotlines in stories LOLL 

where does your inspo come from? does it hit you randomly? yeah! like with terracotta soldiers, i just thought of the idea at 10 pm the night before. i also draw from my own culture. 

what makes a good villain in your mind? one that is multi-faceted and complex. cunning. earns the trust of the protagonist first. 

chrysanthemums&ink (queen of writing abt desolate/plain things and making it beautiful) 
which piece of yours are you most proudest of? perhaps planetarium or prune your cynicism with shears? i still have a long ways to go in perfecting my writing style. 

how would you describe your writing style? too descriptive. kind of messy, jumps around from idea to idea. i use very literal phrases like chrys ("yesterday as i scratched the bitterness out of my eyelids i met a mirage of you") which i personally am a fan of 

are there any piece ideas you have but haven't gotten to write yet? too many. i'd like to talk abt current events, but i'm afraid that's a bit of a messy thing i'll have to wrangle with. i still show my support in other ways than writing, though. i also haven't done enough justice to my rich, fascinating culture. 

MuslimQueen06 (a darling!) 
backpacks or purses? backpacks. i knew ever since i watched my first episode of dora the explorer <333 

what makes you happy/upset? what makes me happy? being on WTW and interacting with you all. i'm upset when i feel that there's injustice that must be corrected 

Tapasya (lovely WTWer) 
fav candy chocolate? i don't love name brand candy. dark chocolate though *chef's kiss*

fav video game? don't play any atm. i suppose most of us went thru a fortnite or minecraft phase LOLL
i'm terribly sorry for not answering every question... it would simply be an eyesore for you guys. i hope you now have more of an inkling of me :") thank you a million for the support and love. and lmk if you can relate to anything 

• jun lei

replying: i was adopted from guanzhou, so technically, i think it is both of our hometowns! i think i saw in one of your pieces that you were from guangzhou, and i was so excited but forgot to comment. have you ever been...?

• jun lei

https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/179289/version/358494 q&a answers! thank you for asking!

• N.

(sorry to comment here, i didn't want to post on serious writing!) thank you for the comment! feel free to screenshot if you'd like to, believe me, i know the feeling of wanting to piss off ignorant people. also, it's a tragedy that i haven't read your work yet (am about to!) but i've heard many good things! :)

• Christy Wisdom

Here's my answers to the q&a! Thank you for participating :DD

• Dmoral

*cracks knuckles*
    i followed you because i've heard birdies praise your writing and have seen glimpses of it's beauty, i'm officially checking it out now.....super excited!

replying: lmao. lockdown ladies is actually something we thought of a while back, but thanks so much for the help!

ohh you sound like such a lovely person! i think you'd be a cool friend irl <3
    repyling: okay naomi, you made me smile so much, and that is so sweet of you. thanks <3!!!

replying: ahhhh just noticed you're the same height as sunny haha.

• poetri

ooh darlingggg la la land is a national treasure and makes me ugly sob every time. and i adore music composition--working on a short musical about harper lee. do you write musicals? or just songs?
    and um you aren't an eyesore don't even start you are amazing amazing amazing wtw loves you <3 <3 <3

Aw thanks you're a lovely friend and writer too. That dream is hilarious. I'm horrible at explaining things so here goes. The E means you're more extroverted than introverted, the N means you're intuitive (as opposed to relying on tangible evidence), the F shows that you're a feeler more than a thinker (emotions vs straightforward logic), and I'm confused about the P-A because the two options are Perceiving and Judging. The dash is one way of saying you're pretty equal between the two options, but idk why there's an A. ELPHABA THOUGH. Also I will hit you over the head with your awesomeness until you accept it. NO NOT AN EYESORE NOTHING NO. YOU GOOD. Reading the other comments and hehe I too am curious about your vocal range.

• inanutshell

thanks for answering our questions! love anyone w tiktok's sense of humour, such a good kind of dumb. heard a lot about 'educated' and 'born a crime', been wanting to check out both for some time now! also, not sure if someone else all mentioned, but ENFP-A basically means you're idealistic and energetic (w others)! A just means you're more assertive and confident of yourself :)

• fatpanda

oiii i had no clue there were so many runners on wtw! also mom jeans gang gang

• ava09

Replying: thanks for your comment! <3 and haha i got pretty lucky with the teasing i guess but also most of my friends at the time were in orchestra with me and everyone else just didn't really care lol...but there was a huge rivalry with the band kids in middle school for some reason. choir always looked like fun - i did the musicals because i didn't have room in my schedule. :)

*sees you didn't answer the height question* also, arghh the tiktok sense of crappy humour is too real. The government just banned Tiktok here and my life has no meaning now. Educated is a masterpiece that I still can't get over. Are you a soprano or alto?
    loved reading these!

• erin!

i also run cross country + love the word petrichor! syntactically it's so satisfying to say but also reminds me of warm fuzzy feeling :')

also i think we’re either the same height or ur taller than me. .-. (ps it’s a rite of passage for me to make a height comment eventually on a q&a LOL)

• mia_:)

no shame in word vomit; most of my pieces are unedited! you seem super cool and sweet! you're so nice! <3 great answers my *relatable* friend!

• ava09

oo i run cross country too lol. educated and born a crime are both fabulous novels. i also want to go sky diving at some point. :) singing and making music is so relaxing and fun and although i don't have time for choir anymore (i am in orchestra tho!) i do miss singing in a group (my family does get lovely spontaneous concerts whenever a song i like comes on the radio though lol). you're definitely relatable though it's nice to get to know you better. <3

• Christy Wisdom

ah yes, word vomit is an excellent way to form something semi-coherent *tap dances nervously*

sunny height comment????? :]
    aw reading this just made my heart fill full, you're so sweet! (i wish i could exude older sister vibes but :]) all state choir??? which voice part are you? i'm an alto :) i wish i could try out for all regions choir but i'm honestly too busy :/ loved getting some more insight into your mind! hmm... for myers briggs, you might want to look up 'cognitive functions' it really does help you understand yourself better! lovely lovely q&a and you seem to be a lovely lovely person as well :). nice getting to know you better <33

“Intimidating at first” ma’am,,,i’m just baby ;-;. also awww ur so sweet. these answers were so cute and refreshing, loved getting to know u more hehe!!