spurtsofdarkness

He/him
B99 fanboy
Slytherin
Poet (?)
est. June 2020
14
Also, I’m on prose: spurtsofdark

Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.

avatar: portrait of dr. edward anthony spitzka by thomas eakins. his last work and rather incomplete. however, beauty is seldom complete.

India and the colour saffron (tw- allegations, accusations, mentions of communalism, political)

14
It all started in 1985. India hasn't been the same since.

The BJP or the Bhartiya Janta Party is currently the ruling party of India. It's a right-wight, Hindu extremist party (Yes, I said it. Report me. See if I care) which was formed in 1980, as a sub-group of another 'nationalist' organization called the RSS. The RSS, too, is allegedly an extremist organization, but they won't accept it. Nor will the BJP. But wait, I'll give you some pretty good reasons as to why you should, at least, accept it. I will be first talking about the BJP, and then about its honorable members, including our very lovable Prime Minister, Mr. Narendra Modi. So, back to 1986, when one of the most complicated court cases India had ever seen, was taking place. The infamous Shah Bano case. The case was between Shah Bano and her husband, who had refused to pay her the alimony after divorcing her. She filed a case against him and won the right to her alimony under the secular law. This led to a backlash from the Orthodox Islamists, and in a decision that formed the fundamental basis of the BJP, The parliament, under immense pressure from the Islamists, changed the court’s decision to act in the favor of the Islamists. This decision, sill debatable as to if it was good or bad, by the Indian National Congress earned them the tag of  ‘people pleaser’ and they began to be known for things like minority appeasement, the effect of which can be seen even now.
The BJP was not very popular before this incident, gaining only insignificant numbers of seats in the Parliament. To counter this decision by the Congress, the BJP formed their agenda in the form of ‘Hindutva’. An electoral battle which was fought between two parties now began to be seen as a battle between the Hindus and the Muslims, all thanks to the BJP.

But this agenda, this did not start in '86, it has been present for decades, pestering in the very soul of India like a parasite. There are three men, the three ideologues of Hindutva, who have successfully managed to keep the spirit of hatred alive even after all these years. Firstly, V.D Savarkar and M.S Gowalkar, staunch supporters of Hitler, who operated in the first half of the 20th Century. Savarkar offered the theory that Hindus could not live alongside Muslims, and Golwalkar — more explicitly — depicted Muslims as enemies of the Indian nation. Extremists still believe that Savarkar was a hero. I pity them. The third and the more recent one is none other than L.K Advani. BJP'S leader in the 2009 elections, known for his grand rath yatraswhich were basically rumbustious Hindu caravans, traveling across states and borders to advertise their ideologies. The most infamous ones came in 1990 and 1992 when the spirit of nationalism ran high. The motive? DEMOLISHING A SIXTEENTH-CENTURY MOSQUE. Yup, that was it. It was believed that it was built on the birthplace of Lord Rama, and hence, they decided to completely shatter it. The Babri Masjid was built in the 16th century by Babur, who was the first Mughal ruler of India, and well-known arch-rival of the BJP, even though he's been dead for centuries now. And, believe it or not, they actually managed to succeed. The event was fundamental in gaining the popularity the BJP enjoys today. This act of sheer hatred was then celebrated. 

The BJP stayed in power for a very long time, and in the early 2000's we saw the rise of a respected dictator, Mr. Narendra Modi. The year was 2002, and Mr. Modi was the Chief Minister of a state in western India called Gujarat. A recent incident had taken place, and the state was in a state of tension. A pilgrimage train carrying several Hindu pilgrims returning from Ayodhya had been burnt, leaving around 58 pilgrims dead. Now, this is the part where you have to pay attention. The Gujarat High Court set up an investigation to find out the cause of the train burning. Several investigations took place, stretching over a period of six years, but I won't be going into the details. Read about it here. However, long before the investigation ended, rumors spread that a mob of Muslim men had attacked the train, and set it on fire. And that was it. Numerous riots spread like wildfire, Muslim men were beaten, hacked, shot to death. Women were raped, killed. And note, that the cause of the fire was yet to be confirmed. Estimates of casualties range from the official figures of 790 Muslims and 254 Hindus, to upwards of 2,000 casualties. Later, an investigation found out that the train had been set to fire from the inside, whereas another claimed that the Muslim mob had actually been present. The reason is yet to be confirmed. Reports from reputable sources even claim that Narendra Modi and Amit Shah, the then Home Minister of Gujarat and the right-hand of Modi, and the current Home Minister of India had allowed the riots to happen. This is a report by the BBC, which claims the same. And no, this is not based on just one single investigation, there are several more of them. Here and here. Also, read this answer on Quora. What followed was politics. Several witnesses, including senior police officers, were killed, just as they became potential witnesses. Sting operations were done, the most successful one by the very fearless Rana Ayyub. Her findings can be found in a book called 'Gujarat Files- Anatomy of a cover-up', which interestingly was also banned for a short period of time. Also, FIRs were filed against all three authors, and people actually refused to translate the book. Narendra Modi is also known for giving an interview on the topic, which was taken by jornalist Karan Thapar. When he was asked about the riots, Mr. Modi actually WALKED OUT OF THE INTERVIEW. This is the complete interview, which also includes a video of Karan Thapar explaining the incident. His career was destroyed thereafter, and he wasn't hired by a news channel. He now writes for The Wire, and here's an article by him on the same topic. FYI, Modi never gave a political interview after that. NEVER. And that man is now the very charming and popular Prime Minister of India. There are several other issues that I want to put in front of you, like the hanging of Afzal Guru, or the other members of the BJP, how they manipulate their voters, how the face of the INC has been converted to the laughing stock of the country because of fake and edited video clips, Facebook jokes, and the constant attempts of the BJP IT cell to degrade the opposition. How the absence of a right-wing opposition has resulted in our failure, how Amit Shah was actually JAILED, how the minorities have been discriminated against under Modi, how Mahatma Gandhi has been labeled a fraud, how Nehru has been labeled a womanizer. How there are a million things swelled up inside me, waiting to burst. I'll say all that someday. But this should be enough for now. India is in turmoil. India neds to be saved.

Peace.

• July 15, 2020 - 10:19am (Now Viewing)

• spurtsofdarkness

@fernweh, gotta agree with you that nothing is perfect *shrugs*

• spurtsofdarkness

@fernweh Uh-huh, don't give me the 'murder' drama. In Islam, most of the divorces are done mutually, and both parties get an amount. In the case of a triple-talaq, the man has to pay the bride some alimony. And also, declaring it null and void would have done the same thing. The easy way would have been to declare it null and void. Someone says triple-talaq, it does not matter because it isn't valid. That is, only consensual divorces. The HARD way- ARRESTING someone who said talaq, when in reality, the divorce never happened, and forcing 14-year-olds to write essays on you. Imagine if you were to say a Harry Potter spell, say the torture curse, while walking on the street. We know that it has no effect, no one is hurt, but the police come and arrests you. What will be your first argument? Of course, that you didn't do anything wrong, what you said didn't actually have an effect. In essence, you are being tortured for uttering words. This is basically the whole government. Provoking people is an art, and Modi is a goddamn Picasso.

• spurtsofdarkness

@fernweh I did not glorify either of the parties. I never mentioned that the INC is good, in fact, I did not pass comment on the INC, because, well, it is controversial. I have a mixed opinion on the INC. The only thing I'm sure of is that I'm against the BJP. And now, about the triple talaq bill, there is a very good reason why I shall describe it as discriminatory. Get ready, this is the first lesson for the day- What it does is, it criminalizes the practice of talaq-i-biddat, rather than merely confirming that divorce pronounced in this way is invalid. It means that any husband pronouncing triple-talaq, whether spoken, written, or electronic, can be punished with a fine and three-year jail term. Arrests can be made without a warrant, and bail is given only at the discretion of a magistrate. And the law applies retrospectively back to September 2018, meaning that earlier transgressions can now be filed with the police. They didn't declare it null and void, they CRIMINALISED it. Now, let's move onto the second lesson of the day-EcOnomIc DeVELoPMenT, also called 'Propaganda'. Major economic indicators released recently point to a major slow-down that parallels that of the early 1990s. Real GDP is growing at 4.5%, the lowest in the last five years. Production of industrial goods is flat, while the production of investment goods is declining (again, the worst showing in the last five years).
    Then there's the unemployment rate, which reached an all-time high of 8.50 in October.
    These are dismal numbers for a large emerging market economy, which was growing at brisk rates a couple of years ago. And oh my god, How India has become safe for Muslims, xD was that a joke? My whole post was about how it has became more dangerous for them. However, many Indians feel that the overwhelming mandate won by Modi's nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in last month's general elections has damaged the state of Indian secularism and emboldened those carrying out hate crimes against minority religions.
    Muslims, in particular, are often the target of religious animosity. Muslims make up nearly 14% of India's 1.3 billion people. Extreme Hindu groups have also targeted Dalits, the "untouchables" in the caste system, and Christians, whose churches have been vandalized in Delhi and the central state of Madhya Pradesh.

There have been at least five violent incidents since the BJP's election victory in May. In at least four different cases, victims were targeted for reasons as varied as possessing beef, protesting against caste-based discrimination, or simply being Muslim. In a fifth incident, a school teacher in Jharkhand was arrested for a two-year-old Facebook post defending the right of Adivasi communities to eat beef. And, uh, hello, CAA?! I believe I have given you enough information. And you are right to be terrified because the BJP HAS done all those things. I've attached links for every claim I make, and none of them are theories. BJP is an extremist group. This is a fact. Not a theory. Hate speech is on an all-time high. The monsters are stronger than ever before. Anyway, here are some links which ALSO show you what I have already shown.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/us-expresses-concern-about-violence-and-discrimination-against-religious-minorities-in-india/articleshow/76306812.cms

https://theconversation.com/why-modis-india-has-become-a-dangerous-place-for-muslims-132591

https://www.hrw.org/report/2020/04/09/shoot-traitors/discrimination-against-muslims-under-indias-new-citizenship-policy

• ElsaRee

yes! India needs to be saved from autocratic forces like the BJP and Modi. But I personally believe that the Ayodhya case should not have been mixed with it. If we need peace we should not bring up a case that was peacefully settled between the two communities. WHY AROUSE SOLVED QUESTIONS AND PROVOKE THE TWO SIDES AGAIN? I have many Muslim friends and they said they support the Supreme Court's judgement. So, politics and religion should not be mixed together, at least not by us, the future citizens.

@Fernweh I love how you said we shouldn't make decisions or form views solely based on theories, and then proceeded to back up your claims of the inc poisoning Lal bahadur shastri and killing Bose using *those very conspiracy theories you seem to despise*. Also, what has modi done for the Muslims in India? Implemented the CAA, murdered innocent people and the Ram Mandir?

aadit i must admit that i’m shamefully uninformed on politics in India, so I must thank you so much for writing this! i’ve seen dear friends comment on this mentioning bhakts—not sure what that means, but it seems like the equivalent of american conservatives? in any case, i know about modi, and he supports trump, our dump truck president over here in the u s of a, so yeah, forget that guy. i’m with you, dear. thank you for writing this!

• purplepanache

replying: uae fren. im 'gelf' kid lmao.

• purplepanache

replying: yessss, omg, this should be turned into a series. we can all shit on modi together, well-informed and politically correct ofc, as always <3

• purplepanache

man, our country is crumbling and this makes me so sad. such diversity, such richness of culture- all turned into a shitshow like this with a bunch of jokers at the top. modi and his kyutsie policies- no this is seriously menacing to the democracy we much love and value. i study fascism as an ideology at school, so we have to examine the roots of the disasters instigated by right-wing dictators like Hitler and Mussolini-and it all sounds so threateningly familiar, it's actually quite terrifying.

and this piece was so very informative, well done my dude. your language was so aptly sardonic, a true gem lmao. i also found the links incredibly useful, tysm. you could have also touched upon the CAA, 2019 tho (just a suggestion uwu), the vulgarity ugh.

• Wicked!

OH MAN YES! Thank you for writing this! Seeing this made me irrationally happy lol. "Yes, I said it. Report me. See if I care" and "lovable, charming and popular PM"? You go, dude. Also yes, do let me know if any bhakts start spewing shit here—I've had to deal with that before (I wrote an anti-BJP oped once and, well you know) and I'll do it again if I have to.

• Samina

Done! In my message box!!!!

• pineapples

I love how informative your pieces are!!!
    You're spreading awareness, and I think that's awesome!

(also dude if you need any backup to fight any bhakts if they come to the comments, just hmu and I'll be there)

• Samina

I agree with Pravartika. This should be republished again and again till it comes to notice. Maybe I should put it in my message to the writer also.

Ughhhhhhhh aadit I LOVE THIS SO MUCH. I can feel your rage coming through my screen, as a chaotic, raging liberal who's tired of the BJP's fascist ideologies. Thank you so much for writing this, hopefully non-Indians are also educated about these atrocities. Also "respected dictator" is 11/10 levels of shade.

• Tapasya

You must have been doing really serious reading to write all that.... And you've written it amazingly.... All your sentences hit straight on the point... Great work wonderful thoughts.... (thumbs up thumbs up)

• Pravartika Wankhede

Thankyou Aadit. You need to repost this and gather attention. This needs to be heard. And if anyone says anything stupid- count me in to come to your defense. Love, P. Write, repost, and write again-till they notice.