Anlee

15
ambivert
chinese american
cries, laughs, dreams
bops to classical, jazz, kpop
multi-fandomer but stray kids is my ult <3

writing should be a hobby. don't force yourself to create words and worlds when you don't want to.

​Shades of Sugar in Black Coffee

10
    I can’t recall the first time I saw the ocean. How peculiar it must have seemed to my young eyes. How vast. How mysterious.
    In the mornings and afternoons, families mob the beach. It always bothered me that no matter how early we went, the beach would already be full of people and the close parking spots would already be taken. I remember the salt, sunscreen, and sweat. The floppy, wide-brimmed sun hats my mom always forced me to wear so I wouldn’t be fried by the sun. The itching of sand in my hair and eyes, the annoying dark crescents it formed underneath my fingernails. The swarms of flies bombarding clumps of seaweed washed ashore. The small but sharp nips of the sand bubbler crabs, the soaked sand sloshing and sucking between my toes.
    Some days, the water is clear and calm, oozing onto the endless sand dunes and reflecting the baby blue sky. Other days, it is restless and brooding, the sky rumbling and sea swirling. Today, thankfully, is on the calmer side.
    As the sky darkens, a sudden wave of weariness washes over me. It’s been a long time since I’ve had time alone to just think. The winds don't understand me, but perhaps the stars will. Enveloping me in its arms, the warm summer air wraps around me, giving a steamy hug. The crickets formed a choir some time ago but the cacophony of sounds had long ceased since I arrived at this hilltop, surrendering to the competition of distant city noises and the playful breeze’s whistling. 
    Tinted citrus hues mix with cornflower blue. As the sun continues to sink, tangerine gives way to rustic red and dissolves into blackcurrant violet, flying colors chasing each other in the sky. Cotton candy clouds blush pastel pink as the sun kisses them goodnight. Even as the golden, butter-colored sun dips beneath the horizon, its reflection in the crystalline waters still creates an illusion of completeness. I’ve always wished that my life would be as beautiful as one of the few sunsets I’ve experienced.
    Tonight, the moon has disappeared, allowing stars to spill into the night sky, glistening on the rippling facade. Staring straight up, my eyes constantly wander from a star to the night sky, glowing with prismatic tints. I’m searching for constellations that I will never be able to decipher. I’m feeling the galaxies churn, infinite spirals of stars and planets, asteroids and moons. I’m marveling that I could reach out to touch and experience infinity.
       The stars understand me.
I wrote this short story based on a photograph of me gazing at a sunset at the beach. Although I don't remember exactly what I was thinking about in that moment, I do remember some of my emotions, which I tried to express through various details. 

• Chloe :) <3

This is really beautiful! The word choice and phrasing all work together to create a beautiful piece that is coherent and engaging! Thank you for entering!!

• journal.screams (#Queenie's Halloween)

Wow, this is so beautiful. The imagery is amazing. I'm speechless. I just keep rereading the last few paragraphs and it's just- wow. Your word choice too... whoa... actually speechless here...

• Vinter Vejen

replying- thank you!!!

• Sol noctis

Oh my.. Why!?!!! How can you do it.... It's amaaaaazing!!!!!! The sunset you've described... Lovely lovely...
    And and the title speaks!!! It does.... Ya know... Shades of sugar in black coffee... Wowwwww..... I'm following you... I'm counting on you!!!! You will give us more such pieces!! Won't you?

• Ahsan Nizaam

Enveloping me in its arms, the warm summer air wraps around me, giving a steamy hug.
    Never thought of it this way but its inspiring. I would also never would have thought the cricket as a choir.

• Tomb of Jade (#spookified)

this. is. amazing.
    "The winds don't understand me, but perhaps the stars will." Ahhh! why do I feel that so deeply! your imagery for color is perfect! The whole piece is just captivating.

• naomi ling

oh this is just lovely. the way you describe color is just - *chef's kiss". " Tinted citrus hues mix with cornflower blue. As the sun continues to sink, tangerine gives way to rustic red and dissolves into blackcurrant violet, flying colors chasing each other in the sky." wowww phenomenal job <333