SunV

(Zombie #Queenie'sHalloween)

Ravendor~Daughter of Athena~INFJ~Musician~Fanderwaal~Potterhead

One of Bhavya's Treasure's many little sisters!

Joined 11-10-19

My entry for J.A.M.'s #Boredwriter competition...

Enjoy!!!

The last line of a novel #Boredwriter2

6
What happens when you turn to the last page of a novel. What happens when you start the last paragraph? What happens when you reach the last line? What happens when you read the last word? What happens when you close the back cover, to set the book aside, not planning on reading it again for the next month or so?

A lot. For example, the last line of 'Little Women', "Oh, my girls, however long you may live, I never can wish you a greater happiness than this." Brings me such happiness and sadness at the same time. Or the last line from the last book of the 'Harry Potter' series, "All was well." does the same thing. Or perhaps, the simple sentence made of two words in 'The Fault In Our Stars', "I do." makes me tear up.

Why? Well, it's because we are told that in a good book, once you close one chapter, another one opens. But even good books need to end. They need to close. We need to close them. We need to get over it, and move on to another book.

But sometimes we can't. Sometimes, we love the book so much, we keep reading it, and re-reading it. Or maybe, if you are anything like me, you will search on Fan-fiction net, Watt-pad, or Archive of our own and find thousands of finished and unfinished fan-fictions. Or, if you're even more like me, you will write your own fan-fictions, because you need closure. You need something to tell you that the story is over, because the books don't. The books simply tell us that that part of life is over, that chapter is, but the story isn't. It's up to the reader to continue the story.

The last line of a novel brings so much emotion. Whether a happy sentence or not, last lines will always make me tear up in both happy and sad tears.

"After all this time?"

"Always."
Word count: 330

I wrote this in one take, because it was so easy to write. Kudos to Just_A_Memory for the amazing prompt!

• July 13, 2020 - 6:40am (Now Viewing)

• Lydia Ledy

I think you're making me "tear up in both happy and sad tears"! What an amazing view on last sentences.

• Just_A_Memory

Beautiful words! You took this in a different way than everyone else, and I love that! Thanks for entering <3

• Ahsan Nizaam

Try reading 'And there were none' by Agatha Christie for a change. Tell me what thought came in to your mind at the last sentence.