Vishakha Mukherjee

Writer
Reader
Anime/Manga Lover
Dreamer
Born in Alabama moved to Yonkers and now India

Just love to write! Write whatever your hearts wants!

River Child

PROMPT: Ancestors Speak

2
The river was more of a lover than her husband ever would be. It kissed away the wounds on her hands from spluttering  oils and scrubbing sweat-drenched clothing. Cooled her head in the sultry summer and cleansed her of the the day's woes. Every afternoon she was embraced by the waters with more respect and affection than any man was capable of. She was the river's child, sister, and wife. And she wouldn't have it any other way.

As a river child, she suffered, like they all do. Those loved by the river are powerless under the world's cruel tide. But the river gave her the shoulders to bare that burden. Strength was engraved in her being, even if experience didn't allow it.

Her feet were calloused from tending to the fields and the house. She played, laughed and sung with the force of a sun. And despite her terribly methodical life of cleaning and appeasing a husband she never asked for, she still was happy.

And that was all that mattered.  

1

• And_The_Stars_Laughed

Wow, this piece is absolutely incredible -- it left me breathless. My jaw dropped to the floor when I read the lines: "Every afternoon she was embraced by the waters with more respect and affection than any man was capable of. She was the river's child, sister, and wife. And she wouldn't have it any other way." I can't express how much I love this piece, as it is so well done!!! :)
    A review is on the way!!