pineapples

Pineapples
I love reading and writing (obviously)
he/they, they/them preferred

"have I killed my thoughts right before their prime?
have I bit my tongue one too many times?
have I said it all the way I really meant to?"
~ben platt

Refer to these pieces when you need more info on the LGBTQIAP+ community:
ON A-SPEC ERASURE:
https://bit.ly/2ZZ3wzD

On genders out of the binary of male and female:
https://bit.ly/3gMkJDl

Basic definitions of sexual orientations:
https://bit.ly/38Nn91w

On the difference between romantic and sexual attraction:
https://bit.ly/2DsW2xb

i heard happiness was sad. he said it was in his job description.

13

last night, happiness visited me for the first time in a long time. 
so we sat down and had a long conversation.
turns out, there's a lot i didn't know about him.

happiness was at the threshold. he had been about to leave my house, but i decided to stop him. i asked him how he was. how he felt... i wondered when the last time someone had asked him that was... 

turns out, happiness had a lot to say about that... 

so he sat down on my ratty couch and told me everything. 

and when i say everything, i mean everything. 

i'm sure no mortal is supposed to have this much knowledge about the inner workings of happiness... but it's okay. because it was clear happiness needed a talk like this. and surely, even happiness must need someone to talk to sometimes....

he started with his mortal life. happiness had been a sad and lonely kid. he told me that all of the previous incarnations of happiness had also led reclusive and lonesome lives before being approached by opportunity. 

you see, happiness told me that he had been picked to take on the mantle of happiness as a result of a search for the loneliest, most sad and depressed human alive. he had been twelve years old.

he was so young. but that was surely to be expected... i think the teenage years are some of the worst for many people...

he told me that he had to be sad to be able to carry out his duties as happiness. he said that the requirement that happiness be a lonely mortal stemmed from the fact that no normal and lively human would be able to handle the burden of bestowing happiness at all hours of the day, and leaving none for themself. happiness needed to be numb to the pain.

i wondered if all previous incarnations of happiness had also been young, innocent, naive teenagers. they probably were...

and happiness told me that he was tired. he wanted this eternal misery to end. 

he had never had the option of not being happiness. yet here he was. one thousand years later, and still handing out joy and happiness every day. and still looking like a young, spry preteen.

and i understood. i understood happiness's reluctance. i understood why so many people in the world were always so sad. it was because sadness could so easily overpower happiness. it was because it already had. 

it was because happiness himself was sad.

• July 3, 2020 - 4:03am (Now Viewing)

replying: no don’t worry your comment totally made sense! my name is literally Sunny, so it’s obvi very easy for people to pronounce, but my viet name is my middle name so whenever people try to read it they’re like “.....whAt is this?” LOL yeahhh people always say “can u americanize it” and it’s like...no? just learn how to pronounce it? anyways, ty for the sweet comment, love!!

• Sol noctis

Oh me! Oh my! This is stunning!!!!!

• Eblinn

"happiness needed to be numb to the pain."
    wow, awesome piece!

• sci-Fi

stunning. I just.... wow.

• Mishthi Sharma

Just loved it....awesome!

• Doodleninja

I love the personification and twist on happiness. Really interesting concept you got here :D

• Harzi

Oh, so stunning aaahhhh!

• HelpMe512

wow this is really powerful. i absolutely love it