birthdaycandles

Ireland

birthdaybaubles #holidayvibes

Just an 18 yr old aspiring to be something like a living, walking (and writing) hug

Things close to my heart:
God, my family + climate change

-Joined Sept 2019, active since March 2020-
prev. AutumnRain

"In the end I think you're gonna wish you loved yourself a lot more, and craved love from everybody else a lot less."
- a song I can't remember the name of

Current reads...
- This lie will kill you

A friendly reminder that your number of published pieces doesn’t define you as a writer. Some people work more quickly than others, and for some it takes time. Work at your own pace, you’re doing great.

child of emeralds #childofyournation

17

i am the child who sat by a hearth loaded with freshly cut turf/ who inhaled the unforgettable scent as it burned/ blue and purple flames dancing in the fireplace/ listening to my grandparents and parents telling tales of their time/ tales of troubles/ of scarier times/ stories of how soldiers lined streets/ and they were afraid

i am the child whose accent can never be placed/ whose tongue rolls around English like it’s slightly foreign/ who speaks fragmented Irish and can't remember how to piece words into sentences/ a child born by borders/ geography and politics are two words that do not attract/ pleasant conversations/ my traditional Irish name places me before i can/ i don't have red hair cascading down my back/ but raven straggly hair framing my face

i am the child of the Emerald Isle/ though not as green as it used to be/ groundwater flows deep into the earths pores/ hints of gold mixed with blue flecks/ electric with pain and history and/ death/ flora on the forest floor folded into rosettes/ with firs and oaks entangling their limbs in the tree canopy above my head/ i breathe in the earthy damp air into my carved lungs/ fuelling my heart/ blood surging through my body awakening my mind/ blossoming with fresh perspective/ youth

Finally after such a long time of editing and re-editing I've finished this piece for sunny.v's #childofyournation challenge
Thanks for reading and have a great day/night :)

• July 4, 2020 - 11:32am (Now Viewing)

• Eblinn

this is so stunning! I adore this piece, it captures how you feel and how your country must feel like so well.
    "hints of gold mixed with blue flecks/ electric with pain and history and/ death/ flora on the forest floor folded into rosettes/"
    these lines right here are divine!

replyin: you called me a sweet human. im dead, rip me. that's so lovely <3 your'e so kind!!

replyin: thank you <3 so's this! '
    i am the child who sat by a hearth loaded with freshly cut turf/ who inhaled the unforgettable scent as it burned'
    lovely!!! you're talented

• CrazyNinjaKid

Replying: Correcto it sure does!!!

• ~wildflower~

I looove this, by the way!! You described so much, so beautifully in so few words!
    “a child born by borders/ geography and politics are two words that do not attract/“ This got deep... the metaphors describe it perfectly.
    “with firs and oaks entangling their limbs in the tree canopy above my head“ this was absolutely stunning! This is such a beautiful and powerful piece. You should be very proud!!

• ~wildflower~

Replying: thank you for your comment for my lyrics!! I’ve never done anything like this before so it was especially encouraging <3

• happygiggles

replying: Thanks so much, I'm speechless, I can't wait to give you a big hug later!! Also, I love this!!! (:

• Ahsan Nizaam

A beautiful piece. It made my day.
    a child born by borders/ geography and politics are two words that do not attract/
    Totally relatable.

• ~wildflower~

Replying: thanks for your comment! It made me so happy :)

I love the last paragraph; it's so beautiful, the description you do of your nation. I seriously want to go visit Ireland now.

• books4life

This is so pretty! :)

• birthdaycandles

oops i always forget time zones! good morninnngggggg v

aaaaack my dearest thank you so much for writing this! i’ll be back to comment something proper bc i’m still waking up but THANK UUUU!

Replying: Thanks! I agree. And that wood chop (why does that sound so weird??) is so freaking satisfying.

• elliem

Reply: AW THANK YOU!! I'm glad I made confetti explode from your heart (but I hope you're okay!) XD And of course! I love this piece.

• elliem

This is so gorgeous! I love the lines:
    "flora on the forest floor folded into rosettes/ with firs and oaks entangling their limbs in the tree canopy above my head/"
    Absolutely stunning. Your imagery is so powerful here.

"i am the child whose accent can never be placed/ whose tongue rolls around English like it’s slightly foreign/ who speaks fragmented Irish and can't remember how to piece words into sentences/" oh dearblha, you've done it again, with your wonderful, emotive, descriptive writing. i love the conflict between native tongues and english.
    "groundwater flows deep into the earths pores/ hints of gold mixed with blue flecks/" stunning, stunninggg imagery.
    (as someone who's sort of had this odd fascination with ireland for a while, this was such a delight to read!)