Emi

American
Right Moderate Social Libertarian
Patriot
Biracial
Diecisiete
Ravenclaw
Lunar
Rider of the Rohirrim
Narnian
Prydain
District 7
Chef
Gardener
Writer
Artist
Seamstress
Homeschooler
Romantic
Nerd
Archer
Rifler

"I choose joy!" (for King and Country).
"Speak Life." (TobyMac).
"I'm gonna fight for what's right." (Skillet)
"Not by might, not by power, by Your Spirit God." (Tasha Cobbs Leonard)
"Wake up." (NF)
"It's the smallest spark that can light the dark." (Newsboys).
"Are you the safest with the world loving you or had enough of you?" (Lecrae)
"He will heal our land but it starts right here." (Casting Crowns)
"I know You fill this aching soul. (Elle Limebear).
"You rescued me." (Jeremy Camp)
"I know a God who can change your life like He changed mine." (SavannaC)
"God makes no sense to humans. If we could understand God, He wouldn't be God anymore." (Me)
Currently reading Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.
JESUS 2020!!!!!

Homeschoolers, Not Netflix Binge-Watchers #PrettyContest 3

5
    “Oh, you’re homeschooled, huh?” the kid at my youth group asked dismissively. “So, do you guys just sit around in your pajamas all day and binge-watch Netflix?”
This has been the response of quite a few people when they hear my mother chose to keep me out of public school and teach me herself. Besides being rude and intrusive, these words show an ignorance of the reasons why some parents choose to homeschool—reasons just as valid as those to public school.
One of the main reasons people homeschool is the poor academics of public schools. Currently, in the United States, the public-school system is failing taxpayers. It isn’t providing any sort of rigorous academics anymore, leaving children to endure a prison sentence of more than ten years. In fact, public schools today are outdated; the old system isn’t working. “The teaching methods used decades ago simply do not work for the modern student” (Barrington, 2019, para. 20). Public schools are putting kids through old curriculums that inspire no love for learning, only stifling any desire for more knowledge.
    In contrast, with parents controlling the children’s schooling in a home, they can find innovative ways to teach. For my brother’s curriculum, for example, he is learning about the Eastern Hemisphere. To supplement that, he is getting to make Asian meals, learn how to do Chinese calligraphy, attend a Japanese “tea party,” make origami, and other hands-on activities. Undoubtedly, a kid his age (ten) would never get the same sort of involved education in a public-school setting, where the teacher is overwhelmed trying to control ten or more kids. With homeschooling, parents have more flexibility to teach with methods that bring the worlds of history, science, English, and other subjects alive, instead of simply lecturing fifth-graders on the start of the Korean War.
    Another reason parents may choose homeschooling is safety. “There has been a string of high-profile mass shootings in American schools, resulting not only in dozens of deaths but many debates on school safety” (Barrington, 2019, para. 7). With school shootings and bomb threats occurring at an alarming rate, it is much safer for children to be at home, protected by anonymity. We can no longer trust public schools to keep children safe. At my own public school, for example, I once accidentally walked in with a pocketknife, forgetting it was in my backpack. Nobody ever knew. There were no security cameras, no security guards checking bags. To make matters worse, the lone security guard on duty was an overweight old man who could never have caught a shooter. In the numerous halls and hidden crannies of a large public school, a shooter can do so much damage in minutes. Whereas at home, most of us are much safer, hidden away from high-profile targets where many people gather.
    Last of all, homeschooling is a viable option for parents because of the stagnant social drama in public schools. I’ve had numerous people ask me whether I can handle being social, simply because I’m supposedly “locked away at home.” All I can do is laugh; public school society is the last thing from my mind. The fact is, social time in public school can be toxic and worse than no social time at all. Bullying and in-groups abound; it is kids’ natural tendency when they get together to choose outcasts, to be cruel and exclusive. “According to the National Center for Education Statistics, over 20% of students in grades 6 through 12 have been bullied either in school or on their way to/from school” (Barrington, 2019, para. 14). I want no part in a social setting where bullying abounds, where girls get into little fights with their friends over stupid things. Compared to my homeschool co-op class of fifteen kids, boys and girls who are polite and mature to each other (we’re all great friends), the public school classes I have visited seem nightmarish. Furthermore, researchers have found that because of the poor social setting (and perhaps the prison-like academics and tests), many children in public schools suffer from poor mental health. Some of the mental trauma of the toxic public-school social environment even carry on through college (Barrington, 2019, para. 17). In contrast, homeschoolers have been found to actually have better communication skills and potentially more adaptability to novel social situations than their public-schooled peers (Tasneem, 2019, para. 84). Homeschooling, in all my experiences and through the experiences of many others, actually facilitates better communication and more mature social skills, because of being around peers that you choose, instead of being forced into a classroom with the best and the worst.
    Homeschooling is not an option parents choose just to binge-watch Netflix with their kids. It’s a way of education that has numerous advantages, whether more personalized and innovative academics, safety at home, or better mental health because of not having to endure bullying and drama. Public school is a choice many parents can choose to make, but that doesn’t mean people should bash homeschoolers for choosing differently. My mom chose homeschooling, and it’s been a great experience. I know that I, too, will choose homeschooling someday for my children.

• Chloe :) <3

This means a lot! I've also never been homeschooled but I understood a lot of this!

Replying: Your appreciation for day 3 just made me breathe easy; thank you. And no I totally get it! My school is technically a public school, but not really, and we kinda consider ourselves homeschooled. So I'm really glad you defended it.

THIS!! I've never been completely independently homeschooled, and not all of public school sucks, but I totally understand this. :D