outoftheblue

est. april 2020
15, old soul?
indie rock enthusiast (i'd love to hear your recommendations!)
really just a tall bean with a lot of opinions
"I am going to make it through this year, if it kills me"- the mountain goats, this year.

I'm honestly a little shaken as I finish writing this.
But please, whoever reads this, spread the word.
also, if y'all could link this piece in your message to readers, that'd be super helpful!
thank you ever so much to chrys for this shortened link- https://bit.ly/3dBxv5r

Police Brutality In India Needs Your Attention (tw: discusses violence, physical, sexual abuse and recent events)

36
Police brutality in India by the men in khaki isn't anything new. Horrific events of innocent migrant workers being beaten mercilessly with lathis and thrown to the ground, people thrown under train tracks and tortured day after day, all in the name of authority. I would like to bring your attention to an absolutely disgusting and inexcusable event that occurred in the state of Tamil Nadu on Friday, the 26th of June.
On Friday evening in the Santhankulam area of Thoothukudi in Tamil Nadu, Jayaraj and his son Bennix, who ran a mobile shop in the neighbourhood were approached by the police at 8:15 p.m., after he closed his shop for the day. They were reportedly furious with the shopkeeper and his son for keeping the store open 10 minutes after the curfew had ended. The next day, the two men were taken to the Santhankulam police station where they were tortured by police personnel in ways too graphic too mention. In addition to this, they were booked under sections of the Indian Penal Code that included disobedience against public servant as well as allegedly deterring a public servant from duty. It is worth noting that the area where they were taken was devoid of any kind of CCTV cameras, so no footage could be obtained. This was an undeniable tactic by the police officers to ensure that no kind of evidence that could be used against the officers remained. On Sunday evening, after a medical check-up, Jayaraj and Bennix were admitted to the nearby Kovilpatti hospital. Bennix passed away on Monday evening and Jayaraj, who had a respiratory illness succumbed to his injuries on Tuesday morning. Jayaraj's wife Selvarani stated that her husband and son had been tortured, physically abused by police personnel and even  were the victims of death threats by the authorities. She filed a complaint to the Assistant Commissioner and the district criminal court. As of today, the AIADMK (the ruling political party of Tamil Nadu) gave the family 10 lakhs in compensation and the DMK gave 25 lakhs in compensation. However, the cops that murdered them have only been transferred to a different district and not fired or arrested. Yet again, our corrupt and incompetent authorities have gotten away with a simple slap on their wrist. 
Protests by political outfits, unions and the members of the public took place across the town. The protester's demands include the arrest as well as the suspension of the police officers involved in the incident, compensation of 50 lakh rupees to the victims' family, a doctor from the victim's side at the autopsy and a government job for one member of the family. There is an online petition demanding the arrest of the officers that needs 50,000 signatures on change.org which I will link in the footnotes to this piece.
George Floyd's last words were "I can't breathe". Unfortunately, we  may never even know the last words of Jayaraj and Bennix, due to their words of dissent being quelled and silenced by the Indian government as well as the brutal authorities. SAY THEIR NAMES. Let not the stories of Jayaraj, Bennix and countless other innocent Indian citizens who have suffered at the hands of the authorities be forgotten.
To everyone who is reading this, please, please speak out. Educate yourselves. Thank you, ever so much to the members of this community who have spoke out about the Black Lives Matter movement in the US, your contributions are numerous and important. It is time for this incident to get the same amount of media coverage and attention, because this incident isn't isolated. Police brutality is a huge issue in India, but it is often brushed aside. It is our moral obligation to not let this happen yet again.
Tell everyone you know about this and sign petitions. We cannot let this go ignored and we will not rest till their killers are arrested and reforms in the government actually take place. Just as we must not stop talking about the Black Lives Matter movement, we must not stop talking about these incidents. ACAB.

• July 2, 2020 - 8:35pm (Now Viewing)

• avoiding the big bang

thank you for writing this. as a north american i hear so much about american politics but i had no idea about how bad police brutality in india was. it's hard to follow the argument in the comments section because of all of the deleted comments but i want to voice my support for #blacklivesmatter. again, thank you for letting the voices of victims be heard.

• Lone Wolf

what has the world become? this brutality, this violence - it's horrible. thank you so much for writing this. this needed to be said. voices need to be heard.

• asta

@fernweh it would do you good to realise you are defending a party that has officially stated (on its official twitter handle, the quote itself attributed to amit shah) that they would "remove every single infiltrator from this country, except buddhists, sikhs, and hindus."
    maintaining neutrality is a privilege, and i hope you recognise that sooner or later. if you aren't directly opposing the oppressor, you might as well be on their side. this isn't a "political debate", it's a question of empathy and morality.

• Fernweh

REPLYING -
    as much as i like a good debate, political debates can be extremely messy. honestly, i m not sure what to think of this caa. yes i agree bjp is a hindu extremist group. i never denied it and i m not their supporter.

caa is a tricky situation and i m sure the govt knew the risk it was taking. everyone is interpreting caa in their own way. i see it as a form of reducing the no. of illegal immigrants in india who 'happen' to be majorly muslim migrating from nearby muslim countries.

yes of course if the govt. is kicking out muslim population who are citizens then that is wrong and i am totally against that.

you perceive caa as a form to get rid of muslim population. and i can't change that because there are facts and evidences proving both sides of opinions. it is upto you and me which one we choose to be our opinion.

so i will not argue on this matter because it would be extremely pointless.

as for mandir/masjid debate, you are so correct! even me and my parents were like support no one and just use the goddamn land for a hospital or a school.

but historically speaking, a mandir was there first and that unfortunately decided the case i m afraid. i feel if the govt had given the land for a school or a hospital, both the communities would have protested.

as for the mandir decision, bjp had theoretically nothing to do with it since the justice system of india cannot be influenced by the govt. but again they could have been bribed. but again, they also couldn't have been.

• And_The_Stars_Laughed

Thank you so much for raising awareness of this issue. As others said, I was not informed of this horrific matter, and now that you've brought it to my attention, I will definitely educate myself on this -- thank you for providing links and petitions as well, I appreciate it. Also, do you mind if I link this in my message to readers?

• Wicked!

Thank you for writing this. There honestly isn't any accountability for the police here, and the perpetrators of such gruesome incidents are often let off with a suspension, if anything at all. I'll link this in my message to readers.

• Daisy + Sage

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this! Like many others here, I honestly had no idea that police brutality was even a problem in India. Not that I’m very good at keeping up to date with the media, but I’ve never even heard anything about this or any other similar incidents on the news! I just don’t understand how such horrific incidents can be swept under the carpet. I am truely thankful that you have brought this to light for people all over the world. Can I link this in my message to authors?

• Samina

Hey shared it on my message to writer. Wait aren't you anoushka??

• spurtsofdarkness

Replying: Haha thanks! I’ll be on the lookout for the m*di bhakts :)

this is horrible and disgusting, thank you for raising awareness about it. i’m not sure of what the whole situation was with a certain writer on here, but i honestly can’t believe that so many people on wtw are apparently so uneducated and racist, it’s eye-opening in an awful way. i’ll definitely be linking this piece in my message to readers.

• black_and_red_ink

Thank you so much for raising awareness on this issue. You are right, Black Lives Matter is inspiring people all over the world. Not just in the United States. If you don't mind, I'll be linking this piece in my message to readers.

replying: i’m gonna go nuts.

• rainydayz

thanks so much for informing me of this! I will definitely be signing the petitions. keep fighting for change everyone. WE CAN DO IT!

replying: ah...i see. mmm. ...prompt? i’m not sure about the specifics of the situation but good on you guys for quickly shutting things down. stuff like that has no place in wtw, and especially not on your piece that speaks out against this. luv ya dear <3 thank you for writing this, i’m doing my best to educate myself on this issue that i hadn’t known about!

• books4life

Replying: OMG, that's horrible. Thank you for clearing that up. I hate that people are like that. I just wanted to say, thank you for your very educating piece, and I will be speaking out with you, talking to my friends and family, because this can't be ignored!

• A Rose

This piece is so so important and I totally agree with Sunny.V, some of these comments are just ugly. You had asked me about deleting comments (I was so flattereddd by your comment, btw) but you can't actually do that. However, you can flag them by hitting the little button underneath. I'm assuming you meant Black Cat's (copy and pasted) comments so I went through and flagged them. If you and some other people also do so, it should get taken down by the WTW admins! Hope this helpled.

uhhh i was taking a wtw nap and then i come back and see people saying borderline ignorant, tone-deaf, and racially charged stuff under my dear friend’s informative post? so y’all acting up when wtw’s meanest minority defender decides she needs more sleep huh. anyways anoushka keep fighting the good fight hun and black lives matter

• Ahsan Nizaam

To all the countries with corrupt authority,
    Thank you very much for making our lives a living hell. It has been an honour living in fear and constant turmoil. We’re happy for your deeds.

• Mishthi Sharma

This is a horrible truth which is usually shrouded by money and power in the Indian political system.Thank you for writing this amd making us aware about the reality.

• Cressida

Thank you so much for taking the time to spread awareness about this. I honestly had no idea this was going on, and this is a truly horrific thing. Will be checking out the resources and linking this in my bio.

• spurtsofdarkness

replying: yup, poetry or prose, your choice

• spurtsofdarkness

@MuslimQueen06 yes they did, especially in UP. The CM is a racist, Hindu extremist. We stand with you :)

• spurtsofdarkness

Replying: Thanks so much!!!

• books4life

Thank you for writing this and educating us. This needs to end; this horrible police brutality.

Thank you for writing this and speaking out. I heard about this issue because they are also violently mistreating my Muslim brothers and sisters there. Thank you for educating us on this!

thank you for writing this. i truly hadn't been aware of this huge issue before now, and i'll check out some of the articles you linked in the footnotes and link this in my message to readers. thank you for writing this.

• purplepanache

yes, thank you for bringing this up. police violence is a very real problem in india and this piece addresses just about everything. i felt equally wrecked after hearing about this incident yesterday, it's high time this stops. thank you for the links.

• inanutshell

thank you for writing this, i hadn't heard about it at all. will sign the petition and look it up

• asta

also, do you mind if i link this piece in my message to readers?

• asta

yes, thank you for writing this! the indian police force has committed more atrocities than all other forms of organised crime. also, the hyderabad r*pe case last year was closed under suspicious circumstances, the police shot alleged culprits without a trial, so there was no way of knowing if they were guilty, and even if they were, that's no way to deliver justice. and the country praised them for what was, essentially, a pr stunt to get the media off their backs because of their refusal to help the victim when she was in danger. it's state sanctioned murder.

• spurtsofdarkness

It's always a delight to read something you write. And I love that 'men in khaki' references lmao. This absolutely needs attention, and it needs it immediately. Incidents of communalism, police brutality, hate speeches are more than ever now, and our 'honorable' home minister is calling out for a war that we'll lose almost certainly, not to mention that we're at the peak of the pandemic, with thousands of cases reported every hour. India is in turmoil. It must be protected.

If anyone has any other links to articles or petitions, please do comment them here.
    Thank you.