sunny.v

she/her | asian
wtw community’s official older sister
running off into the sunset with circe
est. april 27, 2020

swordwielding protector of all minority groups
satire sorceress, lady knight

she clasps peonies, allure, & love

@ my footnotes if you thought i was kidding i’m not there are people in serious need of clowns this is not a joking matter (LOL yes it is). but seriously: i promise, there are paths you will go down, and i’m rooting for you no matter what they are. so i hope you keep your chin up.

the flutter of a butterfly’s wings

37

last saturday, i poured faucet droplets into a pond so i could watch the ripples and
this week, it caused a tsunami and i swear i’m sorry sorry sorry

there’s a chrysalis of hourglass sand staring right at me and i dare not
try to heat it up and turn it into glass because i know what the shards will do but
there’s a tree in the backyard that i fell from and broke my wrist and i wonder
if the person who planted its seed would give me a splint of apologies

silver caterpillar on the kitchen counter: would you tell me what it means?
when a tornado breaks your heart, does the cocoon help you breathe?
i jumped into converse sneakers, ran out the door with a backpack, and
i sprinted to the eye of the hurricane just so i could use it to see

the wings of a butterfly are paper thin, yet their gentle flutter commands the wind
the past is the past, but if you don’t rinse your sins, at the end of the day, the clock still spins
i slipped and snuffed out the dining-room candle, and next saturday, a wildfire came
and all the pretty little blue delicate butterflies mocked me as they brought the rain

i looked into a crystal ball and saw a kaleidoscope of milkweed fields
pupae rested on every leaf and warned me: little girl, don’t you tamper with the future just yet
so i shut my eyes and ran to the garden and waited for the butterfly effect butterfly effect 

butterfly effect
-the butterfly effect is basically a part of this theory that a small little action can cause a huge huge change in events later on. its name comes from the example of: something as tiny and insignificant as the flapping of a butterfly’s wings can determine details about when and where a tornado forms
-i tried to use the butterfly effect obvi cause it’s super rad but also bc i’m predictable, my message is: if you get too caught up on the future or the past, it’s just gonna be a train wreck. what could have happened to change things and what may happen to change things will run their course: so stressing out about it? not too much, dear. not too much. some things are gonna be alright. and if they’re not, well. the circus is always hiring clowns as a legitimate paying job, babe.

• July 16, 2020 - 9:44pm (Now Viewing)

• elliem

IM SO LATE TO THIS BUT sunny

SUNNY

this is so good! Like gahhh I can’t choose a favourite line because they’re all so perfectttt

Have you ever read the short story “The Sound of Thunder” by Ray Bradbury? I think (idk for sure so don’t take my word for it) he created the concept of the butterfly effect?? Anyway don’t trust me on this but it’s a really good short story, I’d recommend checking it out :)

Your images and words are just so beautiful and I don’t know how I can express it enough; this is just so, so stunning.

• youknowme

this is amazing

• purplepanache

SUNNY SUNNY SUNNY YOU ABSOLUTE GENIUS this piece is frickin brilliant and i'm too dumb for it but i'm going to go ahead and compliment it.
    the metaphors and the ethereal/paranormal feel to this own ALL my uwus. the allusion to the butterfly and it's life cycle can take my heart and leave. also the butterfly effect is a terrifying phenomenon and you've incorporated that into this piece so beautifully. ''the wings of a butterfly are paper thin, yet their gentle flutter commands the wind/ the past is the past, but if you don’t rinse your sins, at the end of the day, the clock/ still spins'' this bit killed me. also tysm for your footnotes love, it's so incredibly sweet and thoughtful.

Replying: It's not necessarily about the end times, but it definitely could signal the beginning of the end along with a bunch of crazy stuff. I'd recommend you watch the video and make your own decisions from there; I don't want to pressure you into anything.

Replying: So I'm not sure what you mean by your comment, but I wrote that piece because I saw a video a pastor (Dana Coverstone) posted about a dream he had. He's definitely telling the truth in the vid, but my fam isn't gonna say we're 100% sure it's prophetic, but we're preparing in case it is. I was feeling pretty scared when I wrote that, but I trust God.

• birthdaycandles

i used to have a fear of butterflies (weird ik) and i still kind of do, but it's not as bad. one time one landed on my head when i was little and i was terrified! but now i know why i was deep down afraid of them... they can cause TSUNAMIS? o-o (can i get a dun dun dun) i look forward to the day when i won't scream and run in fear when i see a butterfly in the air, because i know that they are friendly :)
    loved this piece so much sunny, the message behind it is so so powerful and i'm glad i read it because i feel like i learned something useful <3

• books4life

Whoa...this is so pretty!

• løne wølf

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand yet another one of your pretty pretty pretty poems <3 haha! i love this so much. like: "silver caterpillar on the kitchen counter: would you tell me what it means? / when a tornado breaks your heart, does the cocoon help you breathe?" that line is so stunning, i just kept reading it over and over <3

This hit me out of nowhere. I am stunned and I think I'm gonna go back and read it another twenty times. Seriously, this is insane. The ending blew me out of the water. Amazing writing, as always!!!!

• V-Rose

Replying: Thank you for your comment on my piece. I was just trying to say that she attacked me. Perhaps I could have explained that and I will in the future. I felt attacked not only by what she had to say at that time but by all of the things she had done to me before. I don't really know what place of privilege I speak from and I was not trying to play the victim. I was just trying to explain how she made me feel. I have not had time yet but I was going to read the pieces anha recommended. And these were things she said to me. She called me lazy and I wondered why because I have tried my best to learn all I can and do what I can. It was not an attack on my skin color alone, but an attack on who I am and who I work to be. I hope this clarifies what I was trying to say. Again, thank you for your comment.

• inanutshell

only saw this now but omg the third stanza is my FAV, the rhyming only makes it so much better. this is so poignant, the first line does a really clever job at setting up the butterfly effect, and how it's incorporated w the rest of the piece is absolutely amazing :")

• A Rose

Replying:
    Thank you so much for the sweet comment! You're right; fat shaming is everywhere and it can drive a kid nuts :)

• naomi ling

i can't believe i didn't properly read this piece before because wow. it deserves all the hype and attention UGH sunny stop writing so damn well... anyway perhaps write my q&a in the coming days? not sure if i've compiled enough questions so far, what do u think? <33

• naomi ling

replying: BUBSIE HAAHDHA that's the best nickname i've ever been given i love it <3333

Oh, this is so pretty sunny!
    'last saturday, i poured faucet droplets into a pond so i could watch the ripples and
    this week, it caused a tsunami and i swear i’m sorry sorry sorry'
    God, this is so raw. I love the way you used 'sorry' multiple times as i feel it gives a feel of rawness. I also particularly adore the line so so much, because it holds meaning to me, and i think the way you wrote it can appeal to many people and can relate to a million things.
    Maan, i think you'll be going places. Your writing is just *chefs kiss*.
    I love it.

• asta

okay every time i read one of your pieces, i get closer to enlightenment, god bless

• Tomb of Jade (#spookified)

the whole tone and flow of this piece is absolutely beautiful. its hard reading a piece like this and trying to come up with a good adjective to describe how it made me feel. you have a talent, sunny! i love reading what you write

"the wings of a butterfly are paper thin, yet their gentle flutter commands the wind" always been fascinated by the butterfly effect, and your poem just explains it perfectly and ever so subtly. it just warrants a reread and the rhyme scheme you used works excellently to further that whimsical aspect you were going for!

"i looked into a crystal ball and saw a kaleidoscope of milkweed fields", "when a tornado breaks your heart, does the cocoon help you breathe?" were two of my favorite lines from this, but really this whole thing is beautiful! i spend a lot more time than i probably should thinking about the butterfly effect theory and particularly the butterfly effect in contrast with the multiverse theory, and so this piece is right up my alley. i love your writing style, too!

• And_The_Stars_Laughed

Replying: Thank you so much for your lovely comment, it made my day -- I'm so glad you enjoyed it! :) I totally look up to your writing too, every piece of yours I've read has left me speechless. <3
    Thanks again for putting together the community challenge, I really had fun participating and I realized some things about myself while writing it. Have a wonderful rest of your day!! :)

• mia_:)

i totally agree with chrys! the subtle rhyming and rhythm really makes the piece! and the essence of "the butterfly effect" is captured here so beautifully! i say this about a lot of your pieces, but this would make wonderful spoken word poetry!
    your beginning was so strong and i love the repetition of "sorry." that was probably my favorite use of the butterfly effect, but i also loved the one about you breaking your wrist. i never really thought of it like that and it was really thought-provoking! can we technically blame every single bit of misfortune in our lives on someone else? *muses evilly* haha jk :D :P
    my favorite use of the rhyme is definitely "the wings of a butterfly are paper thin, yet their gentle flutter commands the wind / the past is the past, but if you don’t rinse your sins, at the end of the day, the clock still spins," but it was all so lovely. i also loved "and all the pretty little blue delicate butterflies mocked me as they brought the rain." something about that just made me nod. i could literally copy and paste all of this for hours! like chrys said, this is a gem! i love it so much! you are a true queen, miss sunny.v! <3<3 *carefully hugs the gremlin as to not unintentionally cause a tornado by disrupting the air* (see, you educated me)

Replying: Oh thank you! I'm really glad you liked it I was so unsure about it. There's hardly any editing in the piece and I wrote it as a total word barf, so raw is a nice way of saying it lol. I honestly didn't expect to get so invested in it.

this is so cleverly written, and the butterfly effect is just wonderfully woven throughout the piece. i love the subtle rhyming too, this piece is just. so. pretty. and the ending line too... w hat you aren't allowed to do that what. this is just. whoa. and i love the overall message in your footnotes too.
    the opening line is just so strong, like the butterfly effect is just so apparent in this piece? like, i find myself always rambling on and on about things and getting off topic but this is just focused and i admire you for that and i think i am getting off topic here yeah but i love the almost... bewildered tone in this?? the narrator and the almost whimsical aspect of this piece *chef's kiss* "i sprinted to the eye of the hurricane just so i could use it to see" ain't that clever. this is an absolutely gem wow. to repeat what you said on my piece: i think this is a little different than what you usually write? *shrugs* stunning. absolutely stunning. <3