naomi ling

est. 6/14/20

花和骨头
--
wtw's resident fresh meat *muah*
--
can be found talking to the rabbit on the moon

terracotta soldiers

18

for qin shi huang, the first emperor of china

the air is taut with reverence. emperor has arrived to greet his guards. at his feet, kneel in subordinance and lick gravel, swirl it around your tongue. you have ten seconds. you are just like every other soldier in line and the one before. next. 

molded by forgiving earth, you will serve and protect him even in a necropolis. line up in five-by-six. do not cower. 

general, i can hear the heartbeats of the horses as they pound from the north. do not retreat. flies dance tantalizingly around bronze tassels. ahead, a comrade dares to pass a whistle through cracked lips. he is out before dusk. 

thump. thump. did you think you would be a decorated warrior? are you not just like every other man in line? 

eight thousand soldiers stand in flank. the rancid taste of man envelopes you, and yet you are alone in battle. as spears pierce flesh, comrades lay on metallic soil with ripe breath. when you fade, clutch untouched sins in clammy hands.

they catch you just before dawn. they have mercy. it is an easy fall onto pillowing soil, feet first.
    did you ever think you would die? silly boy. did you think you were immune to fate? 

terracotta soldiers, row by row, file into the afterlife after the emperor. it is chilly down there. flaking lacquer itches your decaying body. luckily for you, clay flesh keeps warmth. 
trigger warning: mention of death 

qin shi huang's terracotta soldiers: a collection of terracotta sculptures depicting the armies of Qin Shi Huang, the first Emperor of China," according to wikipedia. 

i've always wanted to write abt this clay army; it's very intriguing to me LOLL what are ur thoughts? 

• AbigailSauble

Enveloping, indeed. It can be way too easy to get swept along by poetic phrases.
    Keep on!

• løne wølf

this is so creative and fascinating! <3

I love this historical piece! I too have always been fascinated by the terracotta warriors, and this is a brilliant piece rich with history. I would love to see it lengthened!

omg i love the terra cotta soldiers! so interesting!
    replying: awhh no bubsies you’re not draining me! i leave long comments bc i want to properly express how much I like a piece, so don’t worry about me <3 i just need to get more sleep and i’ll be back to rejuvenated in no time! looking forward to ur qna my lovie!! ps when do u think you’ll post ur answers? :O

• Currently Unavailable

WOW! I've actually been to see the terracotta soldiers, but you help me see them in a whole new light. YOU ARE AMAZING!! XD

• pretzel_time

This piece is stunning! The terracotta soldiers are a fascinating piece of history.

• jun lei

your descriptions are lovely! "the air is taut with reverence" was so beautifully put. the "general, i can hear the heartbeats of the horses as they pound from the north" was such a good line; love the alliteration, the address, the, dare i say, tinge of fear? of what's to come? lastly, i love your conclusion, how the "terracotta soldiers...file into the afterlife after the emperor," that was gorgeously phrased. and that lil detail, the "luckily for you, clay flesh keeps warmth" was v nice.
    a gorgeous piece from a talented writer!

• Brielle P. Chor

Absolutely love this.