asta

thinking about wells for boys

@astaa on prose

(pfp by @jhocaaa on ig)

a father and son duo were horrifically brutalised and killed by police here in india. please sign this petition to help bring their murderers to justice:
http://chng.it/zJDNpxTZ

@outoftheblue has written a wonderful piece explaining this, please go check it out! (tw: violence, physical abuse, recent events)
https://bit.ly/3dBxv5r
----
racism, homophobia, transphobia, sexism, and any other kind of bigotry isn't tolerated. blm. acab.

50+ followers q&a answers!!!

9
thank you for your support, now here are all of my Opinions TM:

chrysanthemums&ink: 

which piece of yours are you most proud of? 

probably some small, uncharted star. i wanted it to be soft and warm, the written equivalent of a weighted blanket, hopefully i succeeded. 

how would you describe your writing style? 

okay, i know this comes as a surprise because so much of my work on here is prose, but before wtw i mostly wrote poetry. i actually think my inexperience in prose is particularly noticeable, because i focus more on snapshots of particular moments and emotions, instead of actually writing a coherent, full-length narrative, which is definitely a feature left over from poetry.

it's fine for now, because i don't want to do writing professionally, it's something i do for the love of it, and i don't want to commercialise it, but if i ever decide to write a novel, i'll definitely have to work more on plot, so my writing style is still a work in progress.

(not that i'm judging those of you who do want to become published authors! far from it, i admire you guys, but it's not for me.) 

either way, i know what i want it to be: easy to read, flowing, poetic, and comforting, like a childhood favourite that you keep revisiting. i don't think i'm there yet, but that's the goal.

what is one thing you'd do if there were no consequences? 

i'd love to hack into a few billionaires' accounts and redistribute their wealth, it's something i regularly fantasise about. or more immediately, go visit my best friend (she's living in a high-risk area), i haven't seen her in three months :(

the midnight one:

Favourite writing snack? 

nothing is tastier or more inspiring than plain white rice, and you can fight me on this.

Favourite time of day to write? 

after midnight is the only time i write, sleep deprivation is an important part of my Artistic Process.

What do you look for in a friend? 

funny, loyal, kind, not a bigot (high bar, i know)

Worst writing habit/overuse of word? 

my characters are way too introspective, the plot doesn't have time for your existential crisis! have you ever heard of Emotional Repression? 

Favourite genre of music?

i don't think i have a favourite genre, i like all music except the music i hate. in general, i like slower songs, but i recently started listening to some 90s era music, and i quite like it despite the fast pace.

naomi ling:

who is your role model? 

alexandra ocasio-cortez. it's my dream to introduce something like the green new deal in india.

describe your dream meal. 

there's this one restaurant in my area which makes the best biryani i've ever tasted. so it would be just a huge helping of that, plus some gulab jamuns for dessert. 

batman_is_a_cracker

Would you rather love or be loved? 

be loved, i thrive on attention.

What's your stance on abortion? 

pro-choice.

If you could change one thing about the world, what would you change? 

bigotry, in all its forms.

What's your favorite book? 

the girl who saved the king of sweden by jonas jonasson. it's so wacky and laugh-out-loud funny, there wasn't much of an emotional journey there, but i had great fun reading it. i also loved the book thief by markus zusak, and the song of achilles by madeline miller.

What's your favorite movie? 

i'm not much of a movie person, but right now, it's birds of prey (2020). it's not very deep, but sometimes you just want to give your braincells a rest and watch some lesbians beat people up. 

What's your favorite tv show? 

patriot act by hasan minhaj, and avatar: the last airbender. (i have problems with atla, f*ck guru pathik and f*ck the white creators for homogenising distinct asian cultures, but it's a beautiful, empowering show nonetheless.) 

If you could have any superpower, what would you choose?

the ability to control fire, for the following reasons:

1) possible large-scale damage of big corporate property
2) the joy inherent in destruction 
3) it's the s3xiest element and everyone knows it
4) my undying love for zuko from atla

sunny.v (my unproblematic fave!)

what’s a writing style you particularly like? (also asked by batman_is_a_cracker)

i adore those books where the prose reads like poetry, so markus zusak, madeline miller, and salman rushdie. for poetry, i love anne sexton's work.

admired wtw writers? (also asked by batman_is_a_cracker)

honestly, i admire every writer that i follow on here, but anha, sunny.v, kate gardner, jasmine_k, jun lei and elisa would be the ones i love reading the most.

what’s your favorite topic/subject to read about on here (also asked by batman_is_a_cracker)

mythology and historical settings. i also love comedy, but there's not much of it on here. 

going off of the previous questions, what’s your favorite to write about? (also asked by batman_is_a_cracker)

historical fiction, especially focused on women, or the lgbtq+ community.

do you feel your irl personality translates well to here? 

i'm not sure what you guys think of me, but if it is that i'm a brat afflicted with a compulsive need to express every opinion that crosses my goblin brain, you'd be right. 

favorite wtw pieces (also asked by batman_is_a_cracker)

i have a lot of favourite pieces, but the one that's really stuck with me is garden song by ghostlyglory. it's just so beautiful and so comforting, i go back to read it every so often.

how tall are you? 

i'm 155 cm (5'1'' for you americans).

how’re you so amazing? 

*hair flip* all in a gay's work.

where would you vacation to, ignoring all other costs, and why?

i'd like to live in the italian countryside for a year. i think i'd like it, just me eating bread and growing tomatoes and writing poetry. what a life.

anha (yes, i will marry you. that wasn't in the list of questions you asked me, but i'm telling you anyway)

what do you want people to say about you most? 

that i'm kind.

if you were able to remember everything in a book if you ate its pages, would you do it? if so, which book would you consume? 

if there were no risks to my health, i'd probably eat my chemistry textbook. not the most exciting, but definitely useful.

what does your dream home look like? (e.g. location, interior, who you are living with, etc.) 

a cute little cottage in the suburbs of a big city, with flowering vines climbing up the sides. i'd like it to be made of (sustainably grown!) wood, with huge windows that let in lots of sunlight. lots of throw pillows, hand-knitted blankets, and a fainting couch to dramatically drape myself over. 

what character trope do you think you embody? (also asked by sunny.v)

extremely smart, sarcastic, good-looking protagonist whom everyone loves and admires and has a crush on. (kidding, i'd probably be the funny sidekick with an inferiority complex.)

and finally: how are you?

i'm doing well, thank you for asking!

anoushkaa 

favourite trope? 

rivals to lovers, found family, oblivious mutual pining, and clc (clowns-loving-clowns) 

Least favorite trope?

a/b/o dynamics (if you don't know what that means, trust me, it's bad. i feel icky even typing it out) and love triangles (too much drama, exhausting to read).

also, this isn't a trope but i'm so tired of everyone harping about "porcelain skin" or "alabaster wrists" or any other poetic description of paleness. can i please have some poc characters who don't look like a victorian lady dying of consumption? 

Thing you love most about WtW? 

as cliché as it is, the community. you guys are the best part of this site. i also love the interface of wtw, it's among the easiest to use in my experience.

One thing you would change about how people perceive you? 

people perceive me as a bit intimidating irl for some reason, but i'm actually really friendly. please talk to me :((

any favorite comedians? 

hasan minhaj, kurtis conner, and hannah gadsby

what's your sense of humour like? 

according to my friends, bad. according to me, worthy of a netflix special.

jun lei (a queen, an icon)

an artist you love and why?  

there are so many, but i love @kelogsloops and @jhocaaa (she's the one who drew my pfp!) on ig. their works always have this sense of something ethereal in them. also @denis_sarazhin, i've never seen another artist capture the human form so beautifully.

broadsword or longsword? katana or wakizashi? 

i think i'd like the wakizashi best because it's so nice and small, perfect for some casual murder. swish swish snippy snippy >:)

if humanity could speak only one language, what would you choose it to be? 

german, so i could make up any word i wanted. so if you wanted to describe, say, making something beautiful and then ruining it for everyone because of your bigotry and inability to accept your own irrelevance, that would be called röwling :)

tell me about your favorite goddess, either fictional, mythological, or existing only in your imagination. 

eris started the trojan war, resulting in the deaths of millions of people, all because she wanted some drama. that's girl power, babey!

lmao i hope reading this monstrosity hasn't lowered your entire opinion of me.

(again, thank you so much for your support, it means the world to me to know that others like my stuff. you guys are the best!)

• Wicked!

Replying: I'd say that it sucks, but ig you already know that. Thank you for your comment—I've no clue how you found that piece, but I honestly spent a shitload of time and brain over it, so any feedback makes me really happy :)

• spurtsofdarkness

Replying: Can you name some of them? I’ll be on the lookout! Thanks though! :)

• spurtsofdarkness

replying: lmao

• fatpanda

it is not very cool of me to say this, but you are a Mood

• naomi ling

replying: i don't mind at all! go ahead <33

• naomi ling

ohh this is so lovely. i can't believe i didn't say congrats on your 50 before!! well congratulations dear <33 also thank you for your kind words; it means the worldd

also, thank you for putting the link in your message to readers :)
    and here's a shortened version- https://bit.ly/3dBxv5r

replying: yes, of course! i think i'll link it in my message to readers as well, the more people it reaches, the better.

replying: yeah, it's horrific. i didn't know about the policemen shooting the culprits though. it's tough to watch the news sometimes, but it's something we shouldn't ignore.

“ funny, loyal, kind, not a bigot (high bar, i know) ” uwu hewwo i’m not funny but i fit these very high bars *big puppy eyes emoji*
    also you’re shorter than me hahaaaa i’m 157 cm and idk how old u are but either way i’m taller hahaaaa it’s the small victories in life
    “ alexandra ocasio-cortez. it's my dream to introduce something like the green new deal in india. ” *SCREAMS* SHE’S SO S3XY....THE GREEN NEW DEAL BABIE!!!
    “ be loved, i thrive on attention. ” bubs i will love and cherish you pspsps come here asta c’mere
    “ homogenising distinct asian cultures” yes ma’am we’re so scarily similar in our thoughts...also lesbians beating people up is literally the tag line of my brain when watching that movie. it gives me the urge to just form a birds of gay—birds of prey! birds of prey wtw lady squad. ;)
    “ i'm not sure what you guys think of me” i find u like a little intimidating at first since i didn’t see u talk that much and i was a newbie but i have this weird compulsion to scream at people with all my affection and admiration regardless so i feel like after i did that and you responded to me i just went *heart eyes* and that’s it asta that’s all i saw
    “ love triangles (too much drama, exhausting to read). ” because that’s the ONLY thing you typed *coughs* ugh yes. they’re 9/10 times super heteronormative too lol. and also yes ma’am no more porcelain skin. i’m like a medium tan/lighter brown skinned asian and that’s like :(( for an east asian girl (i mean i’m SEA but yknow) bc theyre always like “oh my gosh her skin was like white jade” and it’s like hello here’s me i’m smexy toast shade
    “ people perceive me as a bit intimidating irl for some reason, but i'm actually really friendly.” ME TOOOO. people actually perceive me as extremely extremely intimidating and it sucks because i’m super warm and clingy and soft. *shakes hands with u* also hasan is hilarious and very attractive.
    LOL THAT JK ROWLING DIG...we hate transphobes in this house! wow i can’t believe anha wrote all of Harry Potter, did you guys know that? who’s jk Rowling?
    oh dear asta it seems i have fallen deeply in love with you. i read these answers and went as feral as a Victorian man seeing a woman’s pale ankles for the first time. it really seems like we’d get along well irl! you seem so lovely and chill and i’m so glad to have a friend in you. luv ya babie. also the fact u didn’t ask me to marry you :’(( hurts in da kokoro luv

guys can we all pretend that we don’t know what a/b/o dynamics are DKDNCKSMS like i’m stepping in with my mom energy to ban the usage of the phrase. we’re all kiddies here and we shall have no such discussion of such a...mature...device. it doesn’t exist in our little minds. it doesn’t exist at all.

i guess i have two wives now, i'm on my way to a certified harem. i just watched birds of prey last night and wow am i loving the lesbians. your vacation dreams sound absolutely exquisite - the ultimate gay experience. a/b/o dynamics are so gross, i can't even talk about it but i'm glad you did. and yes, eris is a boss ass bitch. (could've sworn it was some good old godly catfighting between hera, aphrodite and athena that "started" the trojan war tho.) (if we're being historical, it was purely political cos agamemnon wanted the dardenelles for trade but that's boring so we don't talk about that.) this might come off as rude but i've never found you intimidating - maybe it was the pastel background on your original pfp. thanks for answering my questions!

• jun lei

aljdlskj thank you for calling me a queen! it means so much coming from a goddess like you. i feel like we'd get along v well irl. also, love that you chose the wakizashi! needs more love, everyone likes the katanas.

replying: thank you, yours too!
    also, yeah haha it was basically the teens roasting john (remember when they asked him what he'd do when he wasn't funny anymore?)

me waiting for sunny's height comment: :]
    okay okay so much to unpack (from now on, rapid jumping around) but A/B/O DYNAMICS BROOO gosh i have SO many qualms with that trope and the most infuriating fanfic seem to be written in an omegaverse au like ew. plain white rice is fricking delicious yes. especially jasmine rice. *zuko is the purest boi and he was so well written like wHaT. 'some small, uncharted star' is definitely super fluffy and soft and uwu. honestly, this whole q&a is a whole mood, and i'm glad i got to know you better! <33

replying: someone innocently told me that i have an alpha-type personality and i nearly passed out on the spot

wait wait i swear i’ll come give a proper response but literally you wrote a/b/o dynamics and...why would you...why....asta...asta. asta why would you bring this to wtw asta. we’re gonna pretend no such words were typed.

ASTA YOU SERIOUSLY CALLED ME UNPROBLEMATIC FAVE...girl. i’m gonna properly read this but I just needed to yell that first

"sometimes you just want to give your braincells a rest and watch some lesbians beat people up." ahahah XD. and omg, totally don't feel called out or anything by the "Porcelain skin" thing. love love love hasan minhaj. (have you seen the deep cuts with john mulaney and the tupperware teens?)
    and, yeah you sort of seemed intimidating earlier *smiles sheepishly*