seaomelette

United Arab Emirates

Heyo! I’m Lauren, a high school sophomore who loves reading too many fantasy novel series, listening to music, and eating a probably unhealthy amount of ice cream.

Alright, this is the third time I've revised this piece, and I must say I'm pretty proud of it. However, being proud of it isn't enough, so please let me know if there's anything I can still revise or improve here! That'll be really helpful to me, and I might just revise this piece a fourth time. :)

#proudofthis - Lost Oceans

1
"What were oceans like?" asked Ari, tugging on her grandmother's hand.

They were stumbling up a steep incline, when Ari, a bright-eyed little thing, spouted out her question. She windmilled her arms wildly as her dust-filled boots sought purchase on the sandy gravel.

Jen, her grandmother, remained at a loss for words. How could she describe such a vast, indescribable entity--that swirling azure stretch, that crashing, thunderous cliff of waves, that whisper of the faintest break of water, that mystical body that she herself had almost forgotten? She shook her head, as if to clear it of those memories, and allowed herself to murmur platonically to the girl--

"Well, darling, they were large bodies of blue salt water."

Ari paused for a moment, digesting her grandmother's words. She recognized the vague, neutral tone of her textbooks in them but dropped the furling inquisition as she was pulled over another hill. Stuffed in their clunky ventilator suits, Ari and her grandmother bent with some difficulty and sat down on the top of the next craggy outcropping.

The suits were made of a rubbery synthetic material and equipped with two oxygen tanks--enough for one journey like this one. They were white, like the clouds Jen remembered used to float in the sky, pure puffs of air. But now, Jen could no longer see any clouds, nor any bit of blue. In this world, dust--gritty, bitter, and dully orange--covered everything. 

The landscape had not changed since they'd last come. The sky was still a faded gray, the earth still cracked and barren--and dust still roiled in the air and along the ground in amber curlicues. There was that same utter desolation, that same eerie beauty across the infinite abyss, that same remoteness perpetuated by the bleak towers of conglomerated plastic, the half-buried skeletons of unknown creatures, the stark daggers of fossilized corals, like claws reaching up into the stoic sky. 

This abandoned canyon was all that was left of the Atlantic Ocean. At least, what it used to be. 

It was almost funny to Jen, how such a colossal expanse could be erased within her lifetime--choked up, suffocated with all the junk thrown into it. Lost to her memories, Jen reminisced on what it once was. She contemplated a younger version of herself, laughing with her father. They were on a green boat--the Mermaid--as Jen herself had named it, and sailing out on the great azure expanse. Younger Jen was leaning out over the railing, dipping a hand into the crystalline waters that surrounded them. Dolphins, sleek and silvery, leapt and cavorted, splashing drops of seawater on her face.

The image, however, was only superficially wonderful. Beneath the overlying colors, a curdled blankness twisted painfully. Like the watery world they swam in, the dolphins were blurred and hazy in Jen's memory. She strained to recall their slender bodies, slicing effortlessly through the aquamarine waves, but realized they had become mere gray cylinders in her mind's eye. The true color of the waves, too, had been forgotten.

Such is the passage of memories. Unrenewed, never revisited, they fade--the acid of forgetting slowly eating away their edges and corners, their cores and centers. 

In Jen's mind, the imagined taste of salt turned to dust on her tongue. The dolphins shrilled, one desperate, haunting sound, their lustrous skin sloughing off in gruesome curls, uncovering the paleness of bone. A horrific grayness washed over the ocean, and in the place of foamy waves, there rose the bloated bodies of decaying fishes and the crumpled shards of plastic refuse. 

Through the last shimmer of cerulean, once vibrant corals crumbled and bleached deathly white. Dust crashed across the horizon in harsh umber torrents, obscuring the dimming orb that was the sun. The choked waters dwindled, leaving only the disintegrating skeletons of sea creatures and the familiar towers of conglomerated plastic.

Jen blinked, and those same uneven peaks trembled before her, as did those same withered vestiges of lost sea life. Taking a steadying breath, she inhaled a nose-full of dust that had snuck its way past her gauzy helmet. Beside her, Ari had fallen quiet. Her small, gloved hands scrabbled in the dust that engulfed her knees, as she stared out solemnly across the barren canyon. 

Ari wanted to go home. Though precocious for her age, she was only six, and she was tired and hungry and thirsty and bored. She didn't understand why her grandmother insisted on visiting this barren canyon, where it was hot, dry, and dusty. Ari poked out a smiley face in the dust and erased it with a swipe of her glove. Pouting behind her mask, she thought of the air-conditioned sandbox at home. The sand in it wasn't boringly orange, but her favorite color--pink--and it certainly didn't have bits of rocks and glass and things that looked disturbingly like the bones in her science book. 

Ari opened her mouth again--

"Grammy, can we go home? I wanna play in my sandbox."

Jen turned her head to look at the small girl and smiled faintly behind her mask. 

"Just a little while longer, darling."        

And so they sat there silently, two dusty phantoms in the indistinguishable afternoon, dust particles whirling across their faces as they listened to the rush of the wind and the faint susurrations of abyssal plastic bags. 

Jen pictured Ari and herself on the Mermaid, watching faded cylinders among faded ocean waves, and sighed. Soon, she knew, the cylinders, like the ocean itself, would be gone. 
This was a piece I wrote for the #PlanetOrPlastic competition on Wattpad last year or so. I didn't win, but I felt that this piece deserved to be revised and expanded on, so that's what I did here for a third time. 

Here's the original (https://www.wattpad.com/story/166101234-lost-oceans), if you'd like to read it!