crow_e

23 neurotic crows in a recycled flesh suit
he/him || 17 || intp-t || lgbtq+
prosaic poet & sci-fantasy fiction writer
community ambassador alum [summer 2020]
published in wtw review issue 2.2
standing in solidarity with those angry

active? nah. still around sometimes though

self portrait as a man

21
let’s    break the norms,    although i guess i’d     be the norm,         i’d
take up space        foreign, to me,     girls are     taught

quietude or    servitude, they do not        inhabit space             in the same way,
one could argue they    do not inhabit        space at all, some say they     inhibit it,

why? is the     body    too much     for you    ? where it curves,         does it frighten you?
where my body curves,     it frightens me,     i’d rather it not,        i’d rather

breathe loud in a room,     take up space i’d     no longer deserve,     spread my legs
on the subway seat,          be wide and loud, have    confidence without     curve,

my body    now a different type of weapon    no longer           self-destructive
just    destructive.    would it be worth it    to be seen                           for once?     

at whose     expense    would i flourish?    
i'm currently at an [online] writer's conference! this was an assignment to write a "self-portrait as" poem, inspired by Tiana Clark's "Self Portrait as Hannah Peace," and was something i had to write in under an hour. We looked at Clark's poem and studied, partially, where we felt it in our bodies, as well as how it took up space on the page. i decided to write a poem that both takes up space on the page/screen and studies how different bodies take up different spaces. it'll probably format weird, so i might repost with an image file if i can figure out how to do that. enjoy!

• June 25, 2020 - 10:24am (Now Viewing)

oh wow i love this piece, and the formatting is so creative! those last few lines hit especially hard, but really every line of this is so powerful. i think that noticing how much space people take up, or rather who the kinds of people are that feel comfortable to take up a lot of space and who the kinds of people are that never do, it's something that can't be un-noticed, and this poem expresses that so so well.

• inanutshell

a stunning self-portrait and the use of the formatting to take up space is so creative. love this

i quite literally cannot express how much i adore this. wow.

• A Rose

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful

• poetri

i ADORE this, literally took my breath away.