Anha

ms. eldritch horror

"people often reveal their true colours when they are held accountable for their actions; there are those who want to make amends and improve their behaviour and those who don't."
- amalia costa (wtw alum)

no longer active. those with words to say can reach me on prose.

pfp by sara kipin

just reminding y'all posting weird political propaganda: i'm sapphic, i'm pro-choice and anti-gun. so basically everything you conservatives hate :)))

the one where i thank wtw in its entirety | 350 followers & a psa on "popularity"

22
three. hundred. and fifty. three five zero, as the lovely poetri said. i think i'm in shock.

when i started on this site almost two years ago, i never expected to gain even half the attention i do now. i've said this before but i'll say it again - i was only ever writing for a potential audience of 30 people. after i got that badge, i was satisfied. 30 people is basically the size of a class in high school, or, if you live in a particularly small irish village, your entire cohort. to garner the support of three hundred and fifty people is truly staggering. it's twice the size of my cohort, and i can barely stand talking in front of a crowd of more than 30. so i suppose i'll continue to pretend that i'm only writing for an audience of 30 people. it would be rude to discount the support of those 320 other people, but to simply copy-paste their usernames without any indication of why i appreciate them as writers who actively (or passively) support my work would simply be naming a crowd and putting more words into this thank you that you have to scroll through. so we're not doing that. (if you'd like to hear my heartfelt thank yous to just a few of the many writers i respect, read my #appreciationpost.)

i am not a naturally vain person. but being a subject of adoration does grow on you.

but i still do have a few things to say.

i am a strong supporter of the idea that follower counts should not reflect the quality of a writer's work. that is to say, one who makes thousands of dollars selling books pertaining to mediocre lines that feel more like shower thoughts than any kind of real epiphanies is not in any way, shape or form a better writer than one who has had their manuscript rejected a dozen times. more than anything, success is hinged on luck and perseverance.

i think that is what "popularity" comes down to on wtw. posting the right things at the right times, and continuing to post even if your work doesn't immediately gain traction. and even if you don't get the comments or likes you want, you're still guaranteed to grow as a writer. all writers on this site begin equal. no published pieces, no badges, no followers. no guarantee of support from a community that has existed long enough without you. it takes a certain degree of courage to put your work out there into the void of cyberspace in the hopes that someone like you will find it, pick it up and say, "neat." wtw has an unusually consistent record of forming friendships through writing, and if you get nothing else out of this site, value those who support you. every single person who has ever given you a like, a comment or a follow had absolutely no obligation to do so, and did so because they genuinely liked your work. (in most cases. we don't talk about the other cases.)

all of this to say that i am ridiculously appreciative of the experience my time on wtw so far has granted me. though i know i often complain about certain nameless admins and the ongoing battle writers on this site have with censorship of their work, i genuinely do have a fondness for this site that is unmatched with any other platform i've tried before. i truly cannot say that i know of a site with a more pleasant interface than wtw. i know admins are often called to read through pieces to check for things that go against the writing guidelines so if you're an admin reading this - hi! and thank you for everything you do. you're an extremely underrated part of the wtw experience, putting out new writing prompts every week and maintaining the server for these lovely people to share their work. we've had our differences, but i'm sure you're doing your best.

this is quickly becoming longer than some of the pieces of prose i post, so let's wrap it up.

tldr;
thank you for 350 followers. every single one of you is loved more than you can imagine.
i'm going to host a q&a to celebrate, since the trend has slowed down a bit (though i hope this doesn't cause a sudden influx again). i'll make a new post asking for questions, so please don't ask them here.

black lives matter, acab, happy pride and stay safe and wear your mask in public. (this is not an enigmatic comment. covid is still very real. wear a mask.)
speaking of "popularity", take this opportunity to read Dmoral's Guide to Getting Out There, Avoiding Entitlement, & Your "Unalienable" Rights. it says the things i'm trying to say here much better than i have.

while you're here, why not read the contrarian's educational pieces and learn a thing or two?
Resources to Support the BLM Movement
#BlackLivesMatter Over #AllLivesMatter: An Explanation
Just An Important Note On LGBT+ Rights/Discrimination!
LGBT+ History 2: The Lavender Scare
Let's Talk About: Internalized Homophobia and Compulsory Heterosexuality

• June 24, 2020 - 5:38am (Now Viewing)

• Wisp

It saddens me to know that you are no longer active here. You probably don't know me Anha, but that's alright because you've touched me in so many ways with your writing. You are an inspiration and a key part to this community that I am sad to see go. I remember coming onto this site and reading one of your works, it stole my breath away, and you became my first follow. No matter where you go or what you do, I hope you know the impact you've had here.
    I am so glad that I got to experience your writing and your monthly highlights, they were truly special. Now that you've left, it feels like an end of an era of some sort. You deserve all the followers you have and all the happiness that may come to you.
    Best of luck and all the best,
    Wisp

• rosemarywisdom

Congratulations to one of my WtW idols... no joke, you may actually be one of the most prolific writers I have ever had the pleasure of coming across. Your work is spectacular, and you deserve all those followers :)
    I hope someday I can write half as well as you can.
    Lots of hugs and congrats again,
    Rose

• Writers of the World

Congratulations!!

• Jasmine_K

anha anha anha!!!! congrats!!!!!! i'm late to this (my apologies) but i wanted to congratulate you anyways. you deserve it so much, what with all you do for the community and how amazing your writing is. love you icon! keep, uh, being iconic!!

• avoiding the big bang

congratulations!
    agree on the follower front, although i feel we cannot deny that how catchy your bio is something of a factor in your follower count.
    it's nice to see such a fresh message in a thank you. you deserve everything you've got! enjoy your 30!

• jyotsna.r.n

May the words always be with you!!! So, so happy for you!!

• mia_:)

anha! you are such a role model in this community and i know that i, and so many others, really look up to you! i had no doubt that you would hit this milestone; you deserve all those followers! here's to many more! *throws confetti* you do so much for us, with your psa's, highlights, and fabulous writing! i admire you so much! <3<3

• asta

your irma leopold piece changed me as a person and the three first kisses of meg march stabbed me repeatedly in the heart. thank you for sharing your writing with us.

• jun lei

i honestly cannot put into words how much i admire you, for your writing, for your character, for everything. you are an icon, an idol, and above all - a good person.
    you deserve this, and hundreds more.

squeee congrats anha!! 350 is no surprise, honestly, considering how much of a pillar you are in the community. stay awesome, and thank you constantly for your guidance! i’ll get right to that qna. mwah! <3

Congrats!!! :)

• poetri

congrats, queen (and thanks for the mini shout out!) you deserve every single follower and more :)

gg <3!!

• naomi ling

congratulations on this milestone!! you're such a role model and idol especially to me in this community. i admit i gasped when i saw that you followed me LOLL thank you for everything you do here <33

congratulations! you're such an iconic member of this lovely community <3

• Chloe :) <3

This piece is beautiful! And you deserve every single follower!!