crow_e

23 neurotic crows in a recycled flesh suit
he/him || 17 || intp-t || lgbtq+
prosaic poet & sci-fantasy fiction writer
community ambassador alum [summer 2020]
published in wtw review issue 2.2
standing in solidarity with those angry

active? nah. still around sometimes though

Library Unread

My great-grandmother collected books. Not because she had any particular affinity for them [though, who knows, I never met her], but because to her, ownership of books was a sign of status. My mother says that she used to go to garage sales and buy books - any books - just to have them. Her parents were immigrants, emigrating from Czechoslovakia separately and meeting in Ohio, and likely were not literate. They believed that having books in your home elevated your status and made you appear educated - thus seeming “normal” and not out of place. It’s something she carried with her when she married my great-grandfather and moved to Alabama.

Now, we have two curio cabinets filled with old books, most of which were once hers. There are children’s books, dictionaries, old novels, pretty much anything you can think of. One that stands out in my mind is a version of Peter Pan with a grinning, bug-eyed monkey-bee-imp creature on the front of it, its electric blue eyes staring right into the depths of your soul. While it has never haunted my nightmares, it was my inspiration for writing this, after I walked past its cabinet and stared into its face just a little longer than I usually do. It was almost like it was telling me to write something - a commemoration of one of the more bizarre things I’ve seen in my life, connected to a person I never knew. Yet her influence is there, in the books I grew up around and looked at through dusty glass, too fragile to touch. 

• June 23, 2020 - 9:27am (Now Viewing)

• therisingwriter

Wow, your great- grand mom has left you an ample investment-- that's a great fortune. How many have got those antique books with them? I could say a few if there! Hope you're reading more! Keep up the passion friend!

• The Midnight One

Wow, what a lovely piece, I absolutely love the title, it really suits it.

• Spade

If only books were still considered important. Now, it's what type of phone you have and other pointless things like that.