sunny.v

she/her | asian
wtw community’s official older sister
running off into the sunset with circe
est. april 27, 2020

swordwielding protector of all minority groups
satire sorceress, lady knight

she clasps peonies, allure, & love

asian excellence and beauty mwahaha. it’s what my evil hands have compelled me to show you >:).

*now comes with a community challenge that’s detailed in my 150 follower post <3 please read there if you’re interested in sequels/spin-offs/your own versions!

elegant daughter of asia

57

i am the child of the lotus flowers / raised by condors circling in the mountains / bare feet slapping on the floor of the house / arching red shrines to be revered from afar / kowtow gently to your senior

i am the little girl of the golden dragon / that which holds rain in its scales and thunder in its whiskers / serpentine body commanding a legend / oolong tea poured carefully into a clay cup / an embroidered handheld fan in my hand that i flick to open / be filial, only daughter / your family’s name is all that you are

i am the daughter of uncle tim’s oriental asian seafood market / cherry blossom branches stretched above / fairy pink petals to shower my hair / steam billows, warning, out of the rice cooker / dragonflies of blue and gold answer at my fingertips / iridescent wings beating at the riverbed / why do they only whisper to me?

i am the baby born from paper origami cranes / and a ninety degree bend of my body as a greeting / red envelopes filled with lucky money / lunar new year makes you lonely / there is an old-fashioned watercolor painting on the wall / jasmine rice bags in the store / muddled languages on your tongue / look far: will you see yourself?
-me, writing this: not evil anymore. i want to be soft and loved now.
-i really tried to exemplify asian beauty/aesthetic to appreciate, and i mean, man is it gorgeous. i hope you enjoyed “experiencing” it if you haven’t seen any of this already! i’m viet (and my folklore slipped in a bit) but i tried to keep it general to encompass as much as i could.
-psa i have changed my mind. now evil again. 

• June 27, 2020 - 10:19am (Now Viewing)

• Dmoral

*sighs*
    you've already received 75+ comments and i feel as though whatever i say will just be a repeated version of what everyone has already mentioned. however, part of me longs to say it anyway, so here i go: beware my outrageously long comments i'm famous for ;)

"i am the"
    repetition can be everything. you used it so perfectly that i couldn't help but mouth the words myself as i came to expect them. so when that last stanza hit i had already said the words only to realize, that's where the piece ended. i'm very picky about repetition and don't like reading pieces with it, but you've opened me up completely.

"serpentine body commanding a legend"
    this part i love most because i feel like it's the most dominant example in this piece, of you taking cultural and fictional together, to create a reality of who you are. this isn't "what defines you" but it's "what's creating you" and this line did just that.

"dragonflies of blue and gold answer at my fingertips / iridescent wings beating at the riverbed / why do they only whisper to me?"
    your figurative language throughout this whole piece is breathtaking. your concepts created by imagery through the wonderful craftsmanship of diction astounds me and i can't help be reread the words, over and over again.

"i am the daughter of uncle tim’s oriental asian seafood market"
    this was perhaps the most personal line i felt, even though whole piece was like the "dissection of a writer" if you will. anyway, this one brought it home most i feel like.

"muddled languages on your tongue"
    languages are my weakness, it's my "knack for pretty things" since words from every tongue is gorgeous. so this line went straight to my heart, i felt it.

this piece was everything and as i said before, felt like "a dissection of a writer" which was you. if there was ever a piece i found the most inspiring, this would be at the top of my list. i love everything about it, can't even come up with critiques, not even minor ones.

• ~wildflower~

Wow... this is amazing - just amazing! I love it so much!! I sometimes find that pieces written in this style can seem a little clunky and hard to read (no offence to anyone who likes this style - this is probably just me!) but you just did it so gracefully! It flows so well and I can’t even say which lines I like the most because I would end up writing an essay and copying & pasting the whole thing! ABSOLUTELY beautiful, incredible, stunning, honest, extraordinary... I could use every possible synonym for these words and still not capture the incredibleness (now I’m just starting to make up my own words haha) of this piece. The imagery is breathtaking. I am, once again, in awe of your writing. <33

• Christy Wisdom

this is awesome!! The imagery is just *chef's kiss* beautiful. Absolutely stunning!!

• asta

replying: i heard david attenborough say alpha male on a documentary about wild cats and i slammed my laptop closed so hard

• asta

replying: we had to do blood tests at school and seeing a/b/o on the board took years off my life, that shit is traumatising. and yesss, ur the best unproblematic fave, god bless

• mia_:)

Replying: Aww, you're so sweet! You can ALWAYS vent to me too! About the celebration thing, that does kinda suck, but at least you can have an awesome sweet 16! I probably won't have one because of my bat mitzvah when I'm 14 (sad) and I'm not a really big party person anyway. I hope it all works out! And, when in doubt, pull out the chainsaw! (lol just kidding, always read the instruction manual first. THEN pull out the chainsaw! <3)

• mia_:)

Lol, sorry for complaining! I feel like I'm just ranting so much

• mia_:)

Replying again: Also, yeah, my bat mitzvah was cancelled and postponed to September, but I doubt that's going to happen, so it will probably be postponed again to next May. My original date was memorial weekend, and I did a little Zoom one, but it's really not the same lol. I will get to make it up, but things will still probably be different by May. For example, there's this tradition where everyone does this Israeli dance (the horah) around the bat mitzvah while some people lift her in a chair and I was really looking forward to that, but we might not be able to because of social distancing. After my Zoom "bat mitzvah", my parents invited some friends for a social distancing celebration on our block and we did a social distance horah where no one touched, but it is really weird to think about how different stuff might be by May.

• mia_:)

WOW that was longer than I thought . . .

• mia_:)

Replying: :) I'm so glad you liked it! And thanks for your questions! The language in the first stanza was Hebrew and I used to go to a jewish school. We had prayers every monday morning and that was my favorite one (it's just the first line lol). Pomegranates supposedly symbolize the number of mitzvot (good deed obligations) in the Torah (our holy text) because there are 613 mitzvot in the Torah and there are supposed to be 613 seeds in a pomegranate. We would count the seeds of a pomegranate every year around the High Holidays and it was never 613. Question #2: The yahrzeit flames. So, a yahrzeit is like a memorial. If a loved one passed away, you do a yahrzeit and say the mourner's kaddish in temple. On the anniversary of their death, you light a yahrzeit candle (they're always yellow, idk why) in their honor. On Yom HaShoah, the Holocaust Memorial day, everyone lights a candle (except for my family this year, since we lost our lighter lol). I actually wrote a haiku about it. Another piece I wrote, Kavanah ve Kavod, kinda dives into this more :) As for hamantaschen and challah, yes they are foods. Challah is a special bread that we eat every friday and saturday for Shabbat, the day of rest. It's usually braided and is really light and flaky. On certain holidays, the challah is round because it shows that the world is a circle and has no end. Hamantaschen is only eaten during Purim, another holiday about overcoming adversity (literally most of our holidays are that lol). There was this guy named Haman who basically planned a genocide of the Jewish people in Persia, but his plan was thwarted and we celebrate it. He was said to have worn a triangle-shaped hat, so we make these triangle cookies called Hamantaschen that have jam on the inside. You cut a circle out of dough and put jam in the middle and fold the circle around it. My mom tried to make them one year and they were terrible! We have bought them ever since :)
    Again, thank you so much for the challenge! I had a lot of fun and I'm so glad you liked it! Also, I know that I'm super bad at explaining stuff and probably created a thousand more questions *shrugs sheepishly* ily!! <3

• And_The_Stars_Laughed

I feel as if nothing I say will do justice to this piece because it's simply marvelous. You have a way of weaving such intricate and vivid descriptions into your writing, unlike anything I've seen before. :) "there is an old-fashioned watercolor painting on the wall / jasmine rice bags in the store / muddled languages on your tongue / look far: will you see yourself?" -- wow, that ending is absolutely incredible, it left my jaw hanging wide open. Absolutely beautiful work! :)

• mia_:)

AAAH SUNNY!!!! *don't worry, everything is more than fine!* This piece is so beautiful! You really submerged me and used so many good sensory details and your figurative language is *chef kiss*
    "i am the little girl of the golden dragon / that which holds rain in its scales and thunder in its whiskers / serpentine body commanding a legend /" This is so beautiful! I am not Asian, but I feel like this piece especially gave me a look into mythology and I ADORE the line about the dragon having thunder in it's whiskers. That is SO creative!!!
    "/ dragonflies of blue and gold answer at my fingertips / iridescent wings beating at the riverbed / why do they only whisper to me?" *faints* I love how you use rhetorical questions! As you might have noticed, that is one of my favorite things to do when I write. And you did it in such a thought-provoking way! And the detail you put into the dragonflies is so beautiful; I can clearly picture them in my mind and they're stunning! *waves at the dragonflies by dragon finger dancing*
    And I NEED to compliment your ending! The question is so interesting because I totally understand sometimes feeling out of place in your culture and the ending really embodies that in such a beautiful way! I honestly cannot come up with a proper compliment since it's 8am and I wanted to sleep in but sadly I did not and I'm tired*pouts* (I've been up since 7:30; using that as an excuse for my lack of words)
    I cannot WAIT to write my sequel! Not really sure what it will be about, but this is so creative and beautiful and *pulls out thesaurus and proceeds to read every synonym under the sun* Sorry if you fell asleep there :)
    You write so beautifully every time and I am constantly in awe of you! You have such a gift and are such a fun, kind presence in this community! ilyssssm! <3<3 *hugs hugs mwah*

• The Midnight One

Replying: Of course, I'm more than happy to wait, and congrats in advance upon your upcoming milestone! Thanks for giving me permission, I'm really excited to write :D Much appreciated, thank you! (It's a great idea, by the way!)

• elliem

Reply: no, they didn’t ask me for permission to use the idea. :/ I don’t want to rain on their parade because it seems like the user is very excited for their contest, but asking for permission to use it would have been nice. Anyway, I’m glad that user still mentioned me. It’s honestly not too much of a big deal to me, so I’ll let the user use the idea since they credited me. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I hope you’re having a wonderful day! <3

• mia_:)

Replying: a gummy bear engagement? *nods thoughtfully* Summer camp's been good :) I wish I was more inspired to write, though. The ideas used to just constantly be flowing, but *shrugs* I guess I just need some time. I've been pouring a lot into my appreciation post, so you can look for that soon! :) *breakdances with you and accepts the flower basket* us babies are ready to rock! *promptly throws all petals in the air and looks at you sheepishly for a refill* <3<3

• mia_:)

Haha I have no idea what I just saw, but I saw a comment on Anoushka's page about a wedding? And how chrys and i can be the flower girls? *tries to conceal excitement* Also, i am SOO sorry that I haven't read this piece yet! It looks amazing, but I am just so tired rn. Can't wait to do the sequel thing myself, though! Looks super interesting! I MISS YOU SO MUCH MY BEAUTIFUL CHAINSAW-WIELDING GREMLIN! <3<3 *mwah hugs hugs hugs*

• min⁷

replying: just a question out of curiosity. i don't think i've found a homeschooler on the platform yet. but yeah, i am homeschooled, and have been my entire life. except for like three months.

• asta

replying: my pfp is by @jhoca on ig, i forgot to credit her! but thank u for validating my choices, u have good taste lol

• bellairet

I don't even know how to properly praise this piece and pretty much everything you write... it's just beautiful.

• Pravartika Wankhede

replying: thankyou thankyou thankyou for you wonderfully kind words. <3

• A Rose

Replying:
    I loved "we stay unbothered". It reminds me of that we lived happily during the war poem. And God I wish I could vote so I could help get Trump put of here! But activism will have to do.

• The Midnight One

Your work is absolutely incredible, by the way. You're so talented!

• The Midnight One

Love this piece, it's absolutely beautiful! May I write a version of this, with the style, about Australia please?

Replying: Thank you for your comment! I feel like my poem was unclear about Trump. I agree that he can be a complete moron, and I don't really like him as a person. I was just trying to point out that he's not all bad, and those who support him or vote for him (not necessarily the same thing) shouldn't be sterorotyped or shunned for it. I really appreciate your openness towards me.<3

• min⁷

replying: oh wow october my friend is born during that month. i'm actually the eldest of my friends. i'll be 16 this september, woohoo! i'm excited but kind of have a phobia of growing up. btw, are you homeschooled?

• A Rose

Replying:
    This is so so beautiful and thank you so much for the comment! That meant a lot; I don't know how I wasn't following you before this, by the way!

Replying: Oh thank you!! (Not creepy btw) I was terrified to get it bc to be frank about it my body shape isn't that obviously feminine, but it's a more feminine cut, and it really frames my face well. Idk if it looks "cool", but it definitely looks better than a mop of quite thick hair drowning my little face.

Replying: Congrats on getting married!! I'm not part of the group so I couldn't comment on the actual piece.

• Jasmine_K

yes MA'AM ASIAN EXCELLENCE!!! literally ugh so so so good. this piece is my aesthetic

• min⁷

replying: honestly, i varies but yes, i have been loving johnny and jaehyun lately. i wish i would stop switching biases. oh wow, i'm also 15. i'll be 16 this september tho. is your birthday close? you said your bias was mark or taeyong i think? i'm not sure i remember tho. has it changed from when you last told me?

• inanutshell

replying: THANK YOU SO MUCH I'M FREAKING OUT!!! all of my pieces i couldn't be happier they chose that one, I'm so happy and thankful for your support :")

Replying: Thank you <3

• purplepanache

i admire this piece on so many levels. i read your work in three stages- i first read the piece out loud as the language is always so rich and i love to hear it roll off the tongue and form swirls in the air (i love what you do with the english language, it is simply beyond me). and then there's assimilating the angst, the rage and the vulnerability. you make us feel, rather than think, with your writing and i believe that is something only a true artist can do. in this piece, for instance, the first two stanzas made my heart ooze with reverence for your ancient, brilliant culture. and then there's a general message lurking inside, something universal for every reader to relish and take back home. this piece reminded me of my own culture and filled me with a sense of history and i thoroughly enjoyed it. i absolutely love what you have done in this piece, creating that contrast between the ethereal and the mundane, the ancient and the modern, the certitude and the confusion, the command and the humility. beautiful, beautiful work.

• Wicked!

This is so beautiful asdfghjk. I especially love "i am the little girl of the golden dragon / that which holds rain in its scales and thunder in its whiskers". Also wdym you can be soft and loved and evil at the same time dude *triumph emoji*

• min⁷

this is so pretty. i can see the aesthetic vividly. replying: heck yeah! i haven't had any other nctzen to relate to besides my cousin T-T, it feels nice to have someone with the same likings. i died during the more & more comeback wbu? btw, if i might ask. how old are you?

• mia_:)

*faints* wow I didn't realize my vent comment was so long :OOO

• mia_:)

This piece looks so good! I can't wait to come and give it a read!
    Replying: You're so sweet! I miss you tons! <3 I haven't been as active because of a) writers block constantly being like 'hey, I know you hate me, but here I am!" b) I am trying to find motivation to finish my novel, but writers block keeps knocking, so yeah c) my summer camp just started and i've been working like all day as a counselor and by the time I get home, I'm too tired to write anything good d) i have a hecka long #appreciationpost in the works that I'm procrastinating on :)
    Hopefully inspiration will surprise me (I'm trying to write something using the days of the week as sub-sections and showing growth and maturity, but it's too complicated for my tired brain) and I can't wait to write something good again! Thanks again for checking in; it really means a lot <3<3 I'm trying to read more stuff, but I am just feeling less motivated as of right now, so I'm letting myself off the hook for a bit :D I miss ya like crazy, though! *dragon finger dances and hugs the gremlin simultaneously*

Sooooooooooooooo beautifulllllllll

• Vinter Vejen

Replying- and that my dear is the epitome of a bob ross breakdown. also, yes, what a commitment. i just realized. i’ll write a piece about it lmfao. it’s going to be *chef kiss* insanely magnificent. (Also i’m bored to death)

• Vinter Vejen

it* oh for God’s sake!!

• Vinter Vejen

I give up it was not supposed to be :8 i dont know how that happened. next time you see me i’ll have started selling goat cheese. Im done. Thats is...!

• Vinter Vejen

Hmm...alright. i agree then... you can have a share of my ‘skat, du smiler sim solen den gør’ aaalso, bob ross man, that guy. a bob ross breakdown is where you go through a bob ross breakdown you know. bob rossing all around with that hair and generally being a little breakdownish... get me?
    also dw about it was just a joke, hun. bully me as much as i want. because that just means im allowed to bully you back ;8

• birthdaycandles

yess sunny! chemistry nerds ASSEMBLE! together we will be as strong as a giant covalent structure- like diamond! ... *subtle flex* ;)
    This piece is so amazing by the way, my favourite lines are,
    i am the little girl of the golden dragon/
    that which holds rain in its scales and thunder in its whiskers
    Amazing! ^-^

• Vinter Vejen

Right, so i looked up that word. One place says you’re tryna marry me. Another says you’re judging me or forming an opinion.
    And While i think we’d make an iconic pair im not ready for that just yet, you cheek, you. On the other hand, no it doesn’t seem that way. I don’t get offended really when people use the wrong pronouns it really don’t matter, but yes, i’m a girl :”)
    Also don't bully the non native speaker’s typos you, firecracker thing. i will be on the watch for any you make now *cackles*

This *is* a bob ross breakdown isn’t it. Help.

• elliem

Reply: aaaah gosh thank you so much! I'm glad that people actually like it and my french; I was worried people would s m i t e me with some sharp asf lightning bolts (except words) but I'm glad that didn't happen :) Have a really good day!

• Vinter Vejen

aaalso i will let you know that i just went back to your two comments and let me tell you sunny, i died. just realized you're malfunctioning as well, hun. i think this may be a bob ross breakdown for us both?

• Vinter Vejen

replying- shut up you little cheek lmfao XD !!!

• Vinter Vejen

wth.

• Vinter Vejen

i apoligize do*

• Vinter Vejen

country* and wow to typos and me really go together don't we??

• Vinter Vejen

replying- aw thank you. your comment made my evening ngl. was in a mood now im not really. also multilingual genius? awh, sweetheart, you're so nice <3 i would more describe it as the circumstance of being mixed and living in another counry lol <3

• books4life

You have done it again!!! Amazing :) *claps* Like, your work is also so personal, and honest, and totally awesome! *wishes I could write like you*

• Doodleninja

yusss Asians!!! I love how each and every word you chose here just screamed "Asian" XD

replying: thx for the comment! I know, I love P!ATD so much

• ineffable

Quite elegant (haha)

• naomi ling

awhh. sunny you've made me feel so warm & fuzzy. asian culture deserves ALL of its appreciation and this is one of them!! replying: ty for ur kind words; i'm so glad to be back <333

Replying: oh nice,its such a cool name!

• Vinter Vejen

Oh this is lovely!
    ‘ i am the baby born from paper origami cranes ’
    I love this is much. I love how it resounds with the folktale of the cranes and the babies!
    Would you mind if i used yours as an inspiration for mine? I’ll link you in the footnotes with credit and all :)

Duuude this is beautiful! I want cherry blossoms! I just need them. Asian beauty/aesthetic is so cool, and omg Asian girls are so pretty ,I get so jealous lol
    Also a little side note: is your real name sunny?or is it just your username.sorry if that offended you<3

• Gabriel Goodwin

This is beautiful huhuhu I love soft asian vibes sunny pls don't be evil :D

• inanutshell

i'm chinese but still saw so much of myself here, especially w the last stanza! i always love when you showoff your asian excellence and this piece is definitely no exception. stay evil :)

Gorgeous! Honestly, this really makes me want to go and visit Asia; you've described nature and food and culture so well, it's really captivating!

• lianhabanana!

This is beautiful!!!!
    Absolutely breathtaking! :)

• amaryllis

this is gorgeous, i enjoyed my time meandering through the bamboo shoots of slashes ;) thank you for this!

Replying: thank you so much for your comment:)

• Eblinn

This is stunning! You completely submerged me in Asia.
    "fairy pink petals to shower my hair"
    "i am the baby born from paper origami cranes"
    so cute!
    Honestly I love every single line about this.
    Your footnotes are always a great addition hehe

• elliem

Reply: thank you so much for your comment! Girlie you are so inspiring. I totally agree and I wish that people knew the difference between feminism and misandry more often.

oh this piece is like a york pattie because i'm being transported back across the ocean. i suddenly want to write about china now, haha. rice cookers... jasmine rice... wow this really is full of asian beauty; you wrote it breathtakingly. paper origami... i just can't get over how absolutely beautiful this piece is. totally an asian aesthetic! i'll definitely come back to this piece for a little bit of asia in the palm of my hand. the imagery in this.. your descriptions... wow. i'm kinda speechless because this is just that beautiful. makes me miss the world over there a little :,,). lovely lovely lovely.

• spectral

magnificent work, as always. as a chinese-american, i adore this aesthetic.