Avril

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door."

seventeen years old
joined June 2020
follower of Jesus :)

I love to write reviews, so if you need one let me know in a comment on one of my pieces!

This is a piece I wrote a while ago, but I did some editing and am publishing it again! Let me know what you think about it. I'm always open to feedback!

Some Are Protected

PROMPT: Beyond Reason

13

Why are bananas protected,
with a thick and bitter covering;
while grapes are left,
with a skin that's paper thin;
vulnerable and exposed
to insects, storms, and dirt?

Why are little bunnies born
with soft, soft paws;
their mothers telling them,
"Be careful",
while little wolves are born 
with sharp, sharp teeth;
their mothers telling them,
"Be fierce"?

Why are one child's cries
met with soothing words,
and a hug;
while the other child's cries,
are met with turning of backs
and a scoff?

Why should it be
that some are protected,
while others are not?

Look out for the little bunnies and the vulnerable fruit and the forgotten children who have no one else to protect them.

• nolongeractive

This is so beautifully done, you have so much talent, and I love how much raw emotion it has!

• løne wølf [semi-hiatus]

i completely agree with everyone in the comments. this is such a powerful piece, with such a powerful message. i love the comparisons of two seemingly similar things, under the same category of "fruit" and "animal" and "human", yet the way they are treated and raised is so so different. your footnote was a great addition to conveying the message of the piece! <3

re: thank you for your kind words! :)

• psithurism

re: Aww thank you so much!

• flying_elephant10

re: thank you! if you're interested, chapters one and two are also out!

this is really good and very true

• Rachaelgrace

re: thank you!

• pyrrhic

i'd like to echo what happygiggles said! the message your sending with this piece is so powerful, and i think this is something that needs to be talked about more. especially now, as everyone is trapped inside, and we don't really get to choose who we're stuck with. great job!

• happygiggles (not as active anymore)

This is so powerful, and has SUCH an important message behind it. My heart goes out to all the children who have nobody to protect them, especially now that some kids are locked indoors in quarantine/lockdown with people who maybe don't take as good of care of them as they deserve. The 3rd stanza really pulls on my heart strings- this whole piece is so sad yet so beautiful! The entire concept of this piece is amazing, and you have delivered it so well! Great writing! (:

• ~rain~

Creative! This is a great piece!

• BlueWolf (Semi Hiatus)

The concept is beautiful. I adore the second stanza. I think it is very powerful and thought provoking. Awesome writing!

• phi1.618

I love this concept and it's a piece written in a way where the direct contrasts create absurd reason in the readers mind. Kudos