naomi ling

est. 6/14/20

hey i'm back! i hadn't written in a hot second bc of father's day, the last days of school, etc. also writer's block is real ha ha

four colors of childhood

PROMPT: Enumeration

19
in that all rainbows are not molded with the same Hands

(i) red
at birth, mama dips calloused fingers into pigmented rouge and smears it onto fresh, sweaty flesh. searing hot red, for the deep tones of blood and the unborn, on your sticky forehead. (wash it off, just like your sins.) when you grow up, you know, you will do the same to your child.

(ii) butterscotch
at the corner bodega, $1 pops and flesh-colored caramel candies are bought to, perhaps, attract a girl your age. on days where pavement is like hot coals on your toes, you rush inside the air-conditioned store with pennies and childlike pride. sticky plastic wrappers tossed, you maneuver the hard gem between sore teeth and try to pronounce the cashier's name. deng chi nihe says. dumb chineseyour classmates say. 

(iii) amaranth
a birthchild of pink and red, it blushes like the cheeks of a boy and girl on a hot summer night on the pier. she stretches hot pink bubblegum between glossy lips. sticky popsicle juice smears Van Gogh abstracts on tingling flesh, and you sigh with wonder. after all, what more does a teenager dream of besides coming of age? 

(iv) kaleidescope
from second grade art, you recall (primary, secondary, ternary) and smushed fingerprint paintings. ka-lei-de-scope. in blurred tunnels you are transported back to whimsical memories. did i live this? for your broken ties, you finger loosened friendship bracelets and $2 hair chalk: you smear away tears and find remnants of ghosts that were never there. 

for the lost we will mourn, and mourning is enough;
    we simply must live. 
for the coming of age aesthetic everybody wants and ALSO who else remembers those metal racks you put your art on in second grade art class and those black smocks. UGH simple days

i remember those metal racks!! although the smocks we used were always off-white. anyway, gorgeous piece, the sensory details were electrifying, bubblegum and popsicles and caramel. would it be weird to say that this piece feels almost like a painting to me? the colors and imagery are just so vivid.

• asta

also, would you mind if i wrote a piece in this format? i will credit you for it, of course!

• asta

ok that was beautiful, like actually the best thing i've ever read???

• Wicked!

Beautifully written!

• A Rose

oh my gosh. i love coming of age aesthetics. i'd love to do a collab on it somehow. this is beautiful.

Replying: Thank you so much for being understanding

• bellairet

This has so many layers and feels so complex but you stitched everything together so well. Nostalgia for 2nd grade art!

• pineapples

"sticky popsicle juice smears Van Gogh abstracts on tingling flesh, and you sigh with wonder" excuse me the writing in this piece is just,,, way too good, omg

wow! amazing piece

I'm completely speechless

• inanutshell

the opening and closing lines of this piece are so ominous and vague but in a good way! they definitely add to the coming of age ~aesthetic~, especially the line 'for your broken ties, you finger loosened friendship bracelets and $2 hair chalk: you smear away tears and find remnants of ghosts that were never there' i mean wow???

Sompretty everybody. I will officially retire from coherency *slams head on desk*

Oh, this is sompretty! ‘ at the corner bodega, $1 pops and flesh-colored caramel candies are bought to, perhaps, attract a girl your age. on days where pavement is like hot coals on your toes, you rush inside the air-conditioned store with pennies and childlike pride’ That hits a chord so much. I love the way it feels so bright an innocent.
    And those smocks, heh well, mine weren’t black, not after I used to make handprints on the front of it with bright colors.
    Replying - thanks so much, lovely! Your comment was so kind <3

“ for your broken ties, you finger loosened friendship bracelets and $2 hair chalk: you smear away tears and find remnants of ghosts that were never there. ” wow. what??? that’s just...*claps wildly* the absolutely lovely implications of these lines just astounds me. you’ve done it again, naomi!
    also, coming of age...heck YEAH, girlie. and the metal racks you put your art on :)) siiiigh I remember...I remember...hehe <3